The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3960
Original post by Hannahx04
Hey just wondering how many people are still waiting to hear from Warwick? They're the last uni i'm waiting to hear back from and they're taking forever!! Just wondered how many other people are still waiting too! I know there's been Warwick offers on this thread but they seem to be giving out offers only a handful at a time, any idea if they have a deadline to hand out offers by?
Sorry for all the questions but so many people at my 6th form have heard back from all 5 and are firming and insuring and I can't even start to make those decisions until I hear from Warwick.

I applied on the 13th October for European Law and I haven't had a decision either.
Original post by zBenHz
Hey, when did you send off your application?

I sent mine towards the end of November and got an offer on 1st March, so they do take a very long time to get back to people.

According to UCAS the unis aim to make their decisions by the 31st March, but the final deadline in the 6th May, so there is still loads of time left - try not to get too worried!

Good luck!

Aw okay thank you! Hopefully i'll hear soon then!
Original post by viola146
I applied on the 13th October for European Law and I haven't had a decision either.

Okay well i'm hoping that no news is good news! I applied mid october too so hopefully we'll find out soon! :smile:
Original post by Lacrimosa
Sorry, mistake on my part.
Many people around the world would view getting a place at QM as a great achievement; they should be rightly proud of it. Criticising and looking down on other people's choices seems a bit arrogant. You're going to be dealing with people from all walks of life in your future career - please remember that not everyone can get into Oxbridge.

People who go to Oxbridge are ugly. They are jealous of us for being superfluously attractive. Well, me at least. :wink:
Original post by Mann18
A lot of people who didn't study at a top uni initially almost universally did Oxford's BCL if they're considered "one of the best lawyers."

Granted, but that doesn't hide the fact that they studied at another university initially. And if that isn't a good university in the first place then you're not likely to be intelligent enough to get a place on Oxford's BCL anyway.

Edit: That also seems a little unfair on those who simply cannot afford to pursue further study. I would love to do the Oxford BCL but I could never afford £10k+ to do it, plus college fees.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jimmyatemyworld
People who go to Oxbridge are ugly. They are jealous of us for being superfluously attractive. Well, me at least. :wink:

(Actually, when I went for my interview there were some very attractive people there.) But, for the purpose of this debate (and given the fact I didn't get in!) we'll say they're all ugly. :redface:
Original post by Mann18
In short, workload.

Hmm, I can understand that. Law involves a pretty heavy workload at any university, so at Oxford it must be :eek:.
Original post by LornaSandison1
(Actually, when I went for my interview there were some very attractive people there.) But, for the purpose of this debate (and given the fact I didn't get in!) we'll say they're all ugly. :redface:

I bet the attractive ones didn't get in!
Reply 3968

Pfft. :colonhash:

I saw a couple of hot girls at my interview anyway, and I expect some got in.
Granted, but that doesn't hide the fact that they studied at another university initially. And if that isn't a good university in the first place then you're not likely to be intelligent enough to get a place on Oxford's BCL anyway.

Edit: That also seems a little unfair on those who simply cannot afford to pursue further study. I would love to do the Oxford BCL but I could never afford £10k+ to do it, plus college fees.

True, but it can't be said they "only" went to Leeds or wherever.

There are bursaries for the BCL, I want one :teeth:
There are also grants for students wanting to go to the bar from Oxbridge too I think, pretty nice of them.
Reply 3969

Original post by nc28
birmingham: AAA
liverpool: BB

my lnat mark was the reason why they rejected me.....i got 18, and i understand actually.
but, kinda hopeless right now....:frown:

Really? Haha if you feel bad with 18, then I should be gutted.... But Kings did say there cut off point was 18, so you did make the minimum requirement!

Ah congrats with those! :smile:
Original post by Krydel
That seems a little harsh, notts gave me an offer for only 19 in the lnat.

hmm, feeling rather bitter now! lol i guess my application just wasnt as strong, they probably get millions of people applying who are predicted like 4A*'s, might call up and see what the specific reason is but i think it was just a case of they had better people applying and the lnat didnt really help my case.
Original post by Mann18
True, but it can't be said they "only" went to Leeds or wherever.

Well, no. But then you can't say that places like Leeds aren't excellent places to study law, otherwise they wouldn't produce Oxford-calibre students.

Original post by Mann18
There are bursaries for the BCL, I want one :teeth:
There are also grants for students wanting to go to the bar from Oxbridge too I think, pretty nice of them.

That sounds like an excellent idea. For the full £10k? The trouble is, if you apply for the BCL, get a place, apply for a bursary but don't get it, do you still have to go? Or do you find out about whether you're getting a bursary before the deadline for accepting the place?

I could see myself landed in the situation where (assuming I got a place, which is probably unlikely but :colone:) I ended up accepting Oxford's offer to study for the BCL, not getting a bursary and spending my evenings begging to make up £10k because I'm not going to find it elsewhere! :s-smilie:
I bet the attractive ones didn't get in!

You'd be right there. :wink:
Reply 3973
Anyone hear from Edinburgh yet?
Reply 3974
Original post by Nomos
Anyone hear from Edinburgh yet?

I'm still waiting. It's been over five months :/ I called them up three weeks ago and they said the results would be out within two weeks. Fail ):
Original post by Lacrimosa
I completely agree with you here, but that's not my point.
I just find it strange that people will spend hours on here discussing universities that they haven't even applied to, let alone visited.
If this is only a "discussion", then what is the point in having it unless you're planning on attending these universities?

Well, largely to help people who are applying I suppose! But also because not only things that directly affect me are worth discussing - the current debate on removing public sector unions' right to collective bargaining in Wisconsin will not, at any stage of my life, directly affect me (I should think) and it is highly unlikely even to indirectly affect me. Yet it is an issue which I think is fairly important, and I have had some discussions about it with some american friends of mine. Taking an interest in things, discussing them with other people...what on earth is wrong with that?

In fact, the relative merits of law schools will actually directly affect me in terms of employment, even if I'm not applying to the certain one we're talking about, since I'll be competing for jobs against people who did and knowing how mine measures up is highly important, but I find the other part of your argument equally illogical.
Reply 3976
Well, no. But then you can't say that places like Leeds aren't excellent places to study law, otherwise they wouldn't produce Oxford-calibre students.

Literally cannot argue with that. Not sure if I said that, or if you're just making the point, either way, I agree.

That sounds like an excellent idea. For the full £10k? The trouble is, if you apply for the BCL, get a place, apply for a bursary but don't get it, do you still have to go? Or do you find out about whether you're getting a bursary before the deadline for accepting the place?

I could see myself landed in the situation where (assuming I got a place, which is probably unlikely but :colone:) I ended up accepting Oxford's offer to study for the BCL, not getting a bursary and spending my evenings begging to make up £10k because I'm not going to find it elsewhere! :s-smilie:

http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/postgraduate/scholarships.php

There are a variety on there, look at the "Graduate Assistance Fund Award" in particular.

I'm unsure about how the funding works, I assume you'd be able to stipulate that you wouldn't go if you were unable to get the funding.
Reply 3977
Original post by Vinchenko
Well, largely to help people who are applying I suppose! But also because not only things that directly affect me are worth discussing - the current debate on removing public sector unions' right to collective bargaining in Wisconsin will not, at any stage of my life, directly affect me (I should think) and it is highly unlikely even to indirectly affect me. Yet it is an issue which I think is fairly important, and I have had some discussions about it with some american friends of mine. Taking an interest in things, discussing them with other people...what on earth is wrong with that?

In fact, the relative merits of law schools will actually directly affect me in terms of employment, even if I'm not applying to the certain one we're talking about, since I'll be competing for jobs against people who did and knowing how mine measures up is highly important, but I find the other part of your argument equally illogical.

Lawyered.

The CBA is actually quite worrying, and it's being heralded as some sort of victory there "Yay! People have less job security than before!"

I love America, but I think it's years of rampant McCarthyism have made it a place I don't think I could live in.

EDIT: Tried to positively rep you to make up for the negative one, but TSR's system won't let me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, I have drawn attention to the arguably unreliability of league tables in a previous post, although there has to be a certain element of truth in them. Stirling's law department might well be very strong, and its overall reputation is just dampened by other not so strong departments. This is the same with QMUL, I believe. At an open day, the law department at QMUL had a lot more opportunities and resources than many of the departments I've seen at other universities. It also has the added advantage of being part of the University of London so shares libraries and lecturers with colleges like KCL and UCL.

I think perhaps the main issue with QMUL law and why people don't see it as in the same league as Notts, UCL etc is because it doesn't use the LNAT, which seems to determine how strong a university's law department is. I got the impression that QMUL were seriously considering this.

So, no, you're right in saying that QMUL overall is not as well respected as universities like UCL, and probably not Notts either, although that's more debatable. However, it seems that the law department is very strong (which is suggested by many league tables, not just the Guardian) and I think employers are beginning to become aware of this. When I did my work experience in the Temple at some of London's most prestigious chambers, a few of the barristers there had law degrees from QMUL, so clearly it won't hinder a competitive application to some of the top law firms in the world.

Surely not?!

LSE doesn't use the LNAT.
Nor does Warwick, Exeter, Sheffield.... the list goes on.
All of these universities are "better" that QMUL!

LOL, I wouldn't go that far, but the way people act on TSR it's as though you really shouldn't expect to get anywhere without an Oxbridge degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending