The Student Room Group

Can't Decide Dundee Vs. Southampton

Poll

Southampton or Dundee?

Hi to to all reading this!

I got conditional offers for medicine A100 starting September 2011) for both Dundee and Southampton and I don't know which one to choose as I don't know much about either university.
Both look for AAA and both are as difficult to get to, from where I live (Northern Ireland).

I would really appreciate if any current students or other applicants can let me know what they think of either place and where they would choose to go to.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dundee is bloody freezing. Come to Southampton. We're warmer closer to the sea and its got a good vibe.
Reply 2
I know I'm being a dick, but how can you possibly apply to universities (especially med schools) and not know anything about them? :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by Beska
I know I'm being a dick, but how can you possibly apply to universities (especially med schools) and not know anything about them? :confused:

Sorry I should have worded that better, what I meant to say was that I don't know how current medical students find those medical schools.
Of course, I have looked at their websites and read their prospectuses, where they appeared fantastic.
Though I am finding it hard at the minute to find out the 'cons' about going to each place; so that I can make a more informed decision.
I don't know any current students in my area that have went, hence I have posted this thread to find out a bit more, because I don't think judging on their prospectuses will give me the 'full picture' about each place.

Thanks for pointing that out btw :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jbradley427
Sorry I should have worded that better, what I meant to say was that I don't know how current medical students find those medical schools.
Of course, I have looked at their websites and read their prospectuses, where they appeared fantastic.
Though I am finding it hard at the minute to find out the 'cons' about going to each place; so that I can make a more informed decision.
I don't know any current students in my area that have went, hence I have posted this thread to find out a bit more, because I don't think judging on their prospectuses will give me the 'full picture' about each place.

Thanks for pointing that out btw :smile:

Ahhh okay. :p: I thought you meant you had no idea at all, haha.

There's a page on TSR where current medical students give their opinions on their medical school. Here are some links for you, hope they help:

Southampton: Post 1, Post 2.

There isn't any pros/cons done for Dundee. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Beska

There's a page on TSR where current medical students give their opinions on their medical school. Here are some links for you, hope they help:

Thats great, thanks very much :biggrin:
Original post by Beska

http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Southampton-Medical-School-5year.aspx
http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Dundee-Medical-School-5year.aspx

The one con being "quieter" than other universities for Dundee apparently.

If location doesn't bother you, I think you should take a closer look at the course structure and possibly speak to admissions tutors to see which you prefer.
Reply 7
Original post by Sarky
Dundee is bloody freezing. Come to Southampton. We're warmer closer to the sea and its got a good vibe.

I laughed at that, because its true. The time I was there for an interview it was that cold, snow that had fallen in November was still on the ground in January!
I read your post about the pro and cons of Soton - it was very helpful :smile:

I have read elsewhere that the anatomy teaching isn't wonderful at Soton; do you think this is a big issue, just because Dundee has a good reputation regarding anatomy. Though I think I would prefer Southampton as the is more going on there and you are close to London.

Can I ask, would you recommend Southampton and do you find your time there enjoyable?
Reply 8
I laughed at that, because its true. The time I was there for an interview it was that cold, snow that had fallen in November was still on the ground in January!
I read your post about the pro and cons of Soton - it was very helpful :smile:

I have read elsewhere that the anatomy teaching isn't wonderful at Soton; do you think this is a big issue, just because Dundee has a good reputation regarding anatomy. Though I think I would prefer Southampton as the is more going on there and you are close to London.

Can I ask, would you recommend Southampton and do you find your time there enjoyable?

Hmm I do think that there are places that offer stronger anatomy (they have recently changed the course and I did the old one so can't comment too much). But it was still enough for what I needed and they have now implemented things like a surgical society for those people who want more anatomy.

Southampton has a great course (I know I sound like i'm gushing), but for the most part I have enjoyed it here. The year group is big enough so that its not claustrophobic but smaller enough to be friendly. I intercalated so i'm in a different year now and I still find that i'm meeting new people 10 weeks before my finals. The spiral curriculum seems to work well and the fact that you get an intercalated BMedsci within the 5 years might be an advantage for you, two degrees for the price of one I guess. I had to do the same amount of work and got nothing for it (i'm not bitter honest).

I'm from London and Southampton is close enough that I can pop back, even for the day and it isn't too far, but there is enough to do down here. The new forest is lovely and very close, and southampton doesn't have a beach but many places nearby do.

I think Southampton as a city is a boring place tbh, but then i'm from London. I won't miss the city when I leave but I will miss the uni and my friends that will still be here. That said I got a place at Kings and I don't regret turning it down for Southampton, I would again. I'm sure Dundee has its strengths but I don't know much about the course. It just seems so far away! And cold. I'm big on not being cold right now.

Hope that is helpful
Reply 9
Original post by Sarky
Hmm I do think that there are places that offer stronger anatomy (they have recently changed the course and I did the old one so can't comment too much). But it was still enough for what I needed and they have now implemented things like a surgical society for those people who want more anatomy.

Southampton has a great course (I know I sound like i'm gushing), but for the most part I have enjoyed it here. The year group is big enough so that its not claustrophobic but smaller enough to be friendly. I intercalated so i'm in a different year now and I still find that i'm meeting new people 10 weeks before my finals. The spiral curriculum seems to work well and the fact that you get an intercalated BMedsci within the 5 years might be an advantage for you, two degrees for the price of one I guess. I had to do the same amount of work and got nothing for it (i'm not bitter honest).

I'm from London and Southampton is close enough that I can pop back, even for the day and it isn't too far, but there is enough to do down here. The new forest is lovely and very close, and southampton doesn't have a beach but many places nearby do.

I think Southampton as a city is a boring place tbh, but then i'm from London. I won't miss the city when I leave but I will miss the uni and my friends that will still be here. That said I got a place at Kings and I don't regret turning it down for Southampton, I would again. I'm sure Dundee has its strengths but I don't know much about the course. It just seems so far away! And cold. I'm big on not being cold right now.

Hope that is helpful

Thanks for that wonderful post, yes thats very helpful! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 10
Don't know anybody doing medicine in dundee, but have a few cousins and friends who have gone to dundee and loved it. i found the staff and students at dundee all very friendly, and good facilities, definitely my first choice
Reply 11
Original post by oliviab
Don't know anybody doing medicine in dundee, but have a few cousins and friends who have gone to dundee and loved it. i found the staff and students at dundee all very friendly, and good facilities, definitely my first choice

I found the staff very friendly there at interview. Are you an applicant this year too? I didn't see much of Dundee itself just the airport (which was tiny) and straight to the hospital.

If this applies:
Did you get the chance to do the tour of the medical school and speak with the students - I had to leave to catch a flight; what did you think of it? :smile:
Reply 12
I found the staff very friendly there at interview. Are you an applicant this year too? I didn't see much of Dundee itself just the airport (which was tiny) and straight to the hospital.

If this applies:
Did you get the chance to do the tour of the medical school and speak with the students - I had to leave to catch a flight; what did you think of it? :smile:

yeah i am, got a conditional offer this week, so so happy! i went to the open day and went on a tour, and then again after the interview. Although I wasn't paying a great deal of attention after the interview because i was so relieved it was over and got talking to other applicants instead - but the students we spoke to seemed to enjoy it, and all glad they chose dundee. i do remember a student at the open day say there was more work to be done to the medical school, i got the impression they keep it quite updated.

i really liked dundee itself, stayed the night there and had a wander about the town, good shopping and not too big so can walk everywhere. they've got a lot of sports facilities, another reason why i like it so much
Reply 13
Original post by oliviab
yeah i am, got a conditional offer this week, so so happy! i went to the open day and went on a tour, and then again after the interview. Although I wasn't paying a great deal of attention after the interview because i was so relieved it was over and got talking to other applicants instead - but the students we spoke to seemed to enjoy it, and all glad they chose dundee. i do remember a student at the open day say there was more work to be done to the medical school, i got the impression they keep it quite updated.

i really liked dundee itself, stayed the night there and had a wander about the town, good shopping and not too big so can walk everywhere. they've got a lot of sports facilities, another reason why i like it so much

That sounds good, just realised your from Northern Ireland too! :biggrin: I live near Newry. Good to meet someone else from NI :smile: We are few and far between. Are you firming Dundee then? Do you know would we be based at Ninewells all the time as it is pretty isolated from the main campus!
Reply 14
That sounds good, just realised your from Northern Ireland too! :biggrin: I live near Newry. Good to meet someone else from NI :smile: We are few and far between. Are you firming Dundee then? Do you know would we be based at Ninewells all the time as it is pretty isolated from the main campus!

i was talking to a girl from lisburn at the interview, but apart from that I think everyone else was scottish, so not many of us lol, i live in armagh. i didnt think dundee was that hard to get too, its cheaper to fly easyjet into edinburgh and get a train than flying directly to dundee - seems like a bit of hassle i suppose but far cheaper. yeah im definitely firming dundee, wish it was september already so i could go (grades dependent of course lol).

i know what you mean about ninewells, but the accommodation, union, library are all on campus so i dont think it would be too isolated. ah i just cant wait to get there!
Reply 15
Original post by oliviab
i was talking to a girl from lisburn at the interview, but apart from that I think everyone else was scottish, so not many of us lol, i live in armagh. i didnt think dundee was that hard to get too, its cheaper to fly easyjet into edinburgh and get a train than flying directly to dundee - seems like a bit of hassle i suppose but far cheaper. yeah im definitely firming dundee, wish it was september already so i could go (grades dependent of course lol).

i know what you mean about ninewells, but the accommodation, union, library are all on campus so i dont think it would be too isolated. ah i just cant wait to get there!

I flew direct in for handiness though it was very expensive -couldn't be doing that a lot. The airport was like our bus depots!! I met a few at interview from Belfast direction not sure whether they have offers or not. Your the first other person I have come across with an offer from NI. What a coincidence, not too far apart then! Well I am from County Armagh, couldn't listen to the Down ones at my school (especially about football)! lol I am not sure where to choose though I think you are right about Dundee being very friendly. Hope everything works out, I got a shock with my results there on thursday, they were terrible. Things better improve! :smile:
Reply 16
I flew direct in for handiness though it was very expensive -couldn't be doing that a lot. The airport was like our bus depots!! I met a few at interview from Belfast direction not sure whether they have offers or not. Your the first other person I have come across with an offer from NI. What a coincidence, not too far apart then! Well I am from County Armagh, couldn't listen to the Down ones at my school (especially about football)! lol I am not sure where to choose though I think you are right about Dundee being very friendly. Hope everything works out, I got a shock with my results there on thursday, they were terrible. Things better improve! :smile:

yeah thursday was a bit rubbish for me too, but i got my offer on thursday too, so balanced out! :biggrin: yeah im in for a few repeats in june but ive got my english finished now, so realistically just need to work on making sure bio and chem are both A.

i read somewhere dundee graduates feel most prepared for going into the workplace, probably because you spend so much time at ninewells..remember telling them this at the interview :L good luck deciding, im definitely biased for dundee :L
oh and the best thing about going via edinburgh, is having a genuine excuse to spend some time there! :L
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Thats good only having 2 to focus on. I have bio/chem/phys/maths so it is hectic. Thats interesting about graduates, good reflection on Dundee! Best of luck :smile:
Reply 18
you too!:smile:
southampton is one of THE most depressing cities in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending