The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isometrix
Does anyone have a good mnemonic for the bones of the foot?

"Tall Californian Navy Medical Interns Lay Cuties":
· In order (right foot, superior to inferior, medial to lateral):
Talus
Calcanous
Navicular
Medial cuneiform
Intermediate cuneiform
Lateral cuneifrom
Cuboid
Original post by digitalis
Primary is really science heavy yeah.

I just like being able to actually understand why things work, helps me remember it more. I.e. everyone knows diabetics get neuropathies, but why...

Glucose > sorbitol in excess (by aldose reductase) which is osmotically active. This is broken down by sorbitol dehydrogenase by most tissues to fructose. Some tissue like schwann cells, lens, retina, kidneys don't have the dehydrogenase so they can't break it down, so you get osmotic damage in those cells!

Was a proper lightbulb moment for me!

Looking back now, I'm quite glad we had Pharmacology Thursdays in year 2 - upto 6 hours worth of pharmocology, every sodding thursday. Boy am I happier now though - drug charts actually make sense :biggrin:. Still, less happy about Sociology Fridays, although Prof Scrambler is a star
Original post by Renal
I agree.

Never thought about it at the time, or through most of medical school, but I really regret not having a good grasp of the basic science, especially since I'm having to teach myself now.

Out of interest, how important is the basic science at your level?

We get teaching from doctors and at times it feels like they've forgotten a lot of the basic science and rely on their experience. I assumed if it serves them well, the basic science inherently becomes less important.

Still, it'd be nice to know if all the extra time I spend doing detail would be actually beneficial rather than just emphasising my nerdiness. The level of depth required for our exams isn't particularly extensive.
Reply 1903
Original post by Kinkerz

Original post by Kinkerz

We get teaching from doctors and at times it feels like they've forgotten a lot of the basic science and rely on their experience. I assumed if it serves them well, the basic science inherently becomes less important.

Still, it'd be nice to know if all the extra time I spend doing detail would be actually beneficial rather than just emphasising my nerdiness. The level of depth required for our exams isn't particularly extensive.

From what I can make out MRCS and the FRCA qualifications are very science-heavy. And the FRCA primary is pretty ****ing tough.
Original post by visesh
From what I can make out MRCS and the FRCA qualifications are very science-heavy. And the FRCA primary is pretty ****ing tough.

Ah OK. Interesting. I imagine a reasonable amount of the people in my year may potentially have issues with that then.
Original post by Kinkerz
Ah OK. Interesting. I imagine a reasonable amount of the people in my year may potentially have issues with that then.

I imagine a reasonable amount of all medical students have potential issues with that then. My understanding is that medical education has moved away from basic sciences to make room for fluffy stuff like communication skills and sociology, whilst the college exams remain largely the same as before. I'm quite willing to be corrected on both of those points though...
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I imagine a reasonable amount of all medical students have potential issues with that then. My understanding is that medical education has moved away from basic sciences to make room for fluffy stuff like communication skills and sociology, whilst the college exams remain largely the same as before. I'm quite willing to be corrected on both of those points though...

You may well be right. I can't comment about other schools with much reliability, so it's difficult to compare.
I'm doing embryology. There's definitely something wrong with me, I think maybe I'm ill?
Reply 1908
Original post by Kinkerz
Not a great deal for practice.

But as Visesh says, the exams depend heavily on a good, broad knowledge of basic sciences. FRCA particularly covers anatomy, organic chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, physics, physiology, etc.
Original post by Kinkerz
You may well be right. I can't comment about other schools with much reliability, so it's difficult to compare.

I know here the basic science component has been drastically reduced, even just with the most recent curriculum change - I did 9 weeks of biochemistry and other sciences, the year below me only did 5.
Reply 1910
Essentially yes, but the membership exams do also have some fluffy stuff.
Original post by Renal
Essentially yes, but the membership exams do also have some fluffy stuff.

Ah, ok. IMO, fluffy stuff like communication is more intuitive and doesn't need the hours devoted to it at undergrad level, whereas basic science is by no means intuitive and has to be learnt. You're into Med Ed and stuff, aren't you? Why is basic science being slowly eroded from undergrad?
Reply 1912
Ah, ok. IMO, fluffy stuff like communication is more intuitive and doesn't need the hours devoted to it at undergrad level, whereas basic science is by no means intuitive and has to be learnt. You're into Med Ed and stuff, aren't you? Why is basic science being slowly eroded from undergrad?
I'm not that involved and to be honest, I don't know. I suspect that some of the answers may be here.
Reply 1913
Hi guys, quick question, is stridor heard with a stethoscope? Or would that be inspiratory wheeze?
Reply 1914
Original post by buzzcat
Hi guys, quick question, is stridor heard with a stethoscope? Or would that be inspiratory wheeze?
You can hear both, although you can usually hear true stridor from the end of the bed and they sound reasonably different.
Original post by Renal
Not a great deal for practice.

But as Visesh says, the exams depend heavily on a good, broad knowledge of basic sciences. FRCA particularly covers anatomy, organic chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, physics, physiology, etc.

Do you think Membership exams are changing too, I heard the FRCA is no longer negatively marked, I hestitate to say easier because obviously I haven't sat any....
Reply 1916
Original post by Renal
You can hear both, although you can usually hear true stridor from the end of the bed and they sound reasonably different.

Thanks Renal - How do they differ in sound?

I think I've got inspiratory wheeze over my left bronchus and a productive cough with purulent sputum lasting 7 days. One day history of a bleeding nostril, pleurisy and one episode of streaky sputum although I presume this is from my nostril.

Worth going to the GP?
Original post by buzzcat

Stridor can mean they're about the join the ranks of death - invariably large airways obstruction, the patient is desperate. Wheeze if its polyphonic may mean small airways obstruction.

EDIT: Ramblings, not health advice etc...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by buzzcat
Thanks Renal - How do they differ in sound?

I think I've got inspiratory wheeze over my left bronchus and a productive cough with purulent sputum lasting 7 days. One day history of a bleeding nostril, pleurisy and one episode of streaky sputum although I presume this is from my nostril.

Worth going to the GP?

:rolleyes:
Original post by Wangers
Stridor can mean they're about the join the ranks of death - invariably large airways obstruction, the patient is desperate. Wheeze if its polyphonic may mean small airways obstruction.

EDIT: Ramblings, not health advice etc...

Or could just be a kid with viral croup.

Here is a good example of stridor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EPCDB17ErA&feature=related

Latest

Trending

Trending