The Student Room Group

University life! accommodation

When do you have to start looking for a house near your uni?
Reply 1
As soon as you've chosen firms/insurance choices!!
Reply 2
Original post by Racheld25
As soon as you've chosen firms/insurance choices!!

do I have to pay the deposit straight away or can it wait till september?
Reply 3
Original post by kMt

Most are like £250, and ask for it straight away to deposit (ie. confirm your room) your place. Best to ask the individual universities as they might all have different policies.
Reply 4
Original post by Racheld25
Most are like £250, and ask for it straight away to deposit (ie. confirm your room) your place. Best to ask the individual universities as they might all have different policies.

it's not a uni accommodation. i'm looking at some houses near the uni., the deposit is £800 and we don't have that much money right now :s-smilie:
thanks for your help:smile:x
Reply 5
Original post by kMt

Are you talking about university accommodation, halls.
Or private housing like mostly second years etc get?

Your going to have the ask the relevant people, asking the university about the deposit and private housing won't get you anywhere.

Deposits amount and such are down to each companys own preferences. Although a deposit is called that for a reason.. thus will most likely have to be paid as soon as you have been designated a room . The amount varies but is usually like 4 weeks or a months rent.

Edit:
Original post by kMt
it's not a uni accommodation. i'm looking at some houses near the uni., the deposit is £800 and we don't have that much money right now :s-smilie:
thanks for your help:smile:x

800? :/
How many people is that for ? that sounds like a deposit for two or three people.. not each, so i hope it's not each.
And unfortunately your going to have to find the money, unless you feel like starting your search in september when you get new loans through, or during summer when you have a job, it has to be done.
It did suck when i saw £300 odd going out of my account for it 2 months back :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Tommyjw
Are you talking about university accommodation, halls.
Or private housing like mostly second years etc get?

Your going to have the ask the relevant people, asking the university about the deposit and private housing won't get you anywhere.

Deposits amount and such are down to each companys own preferences. Although a deposit is called that for a reason.. thus will most likely have to be paid as soon as you have been designated a room . The amount varies but is usually like 4 weeks or a months rent.

Edit:

800? :/
How many people is that for ? that sounds like a deposit for two or three people.. not each, so i hope it's not each.
And unfortunately your going to have to find the money, unless you feel like starting your search in september when you get new loans through, or during summer when you have a job, it has to be done.
It did suck when i saw £300 odd going out of my account for it 2 months back :frown:

hey it's for 3 people, so around 250 each. will I be able to find somewhere decent during summer?
Reply 7
Original post by kMt
hey it's for 3 people, so around 250 each. will I be able to find somewhere decent during summer?

Ah ok thats good.
Well 250 each shouldnt be too hard? ..
Just use your buraries or lones or ask parents or something .. everyone else finds it so i msure you can :P or get a job :smile:

Houses can be found during summer ye.. but the later you leave it the worse you'll get. For example here in plymouth all the estate agents allowed bookings from november. Meaning if i had left it til summer.. i would of been like 7 months behind or whatever.
Earlier you look, better place you'll get and better choice you'll have
Reply 8
Original post by Tommyjw
Ah ok thats good.
Well 250 each shouldnt be too hard? ..
Just use your buraries or lones or ask parents or something .. everyone else finds it so i msure you can :P or get a job :smile:

Houses can be found during summer ye.. but the later you leave it the worse you'll get. For example here in plymouth all the estate agents allowed bookings from november. Meaning if i had left it til summer.. i would of been like 7 months behind or whatever.
Earlier you look, better place you'll get and better choice you'll have

I do have a job but I just don't know how to use my money :colondollar:

thanks for your help x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending