The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 4 - Crime and Deviance and Research Methods Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Yay got an A! (111)
Sooo happy literally thought I was gonna get a D.
Does anyone know the overall UMS marks for ALL units so I can know how much I need to get in the next exam to get an A overall?
Original post by danielsmith
I don't understand how you could not learn without the A2 Sociology textbook by Webb, Westergaard, Trobe and Steel?!

Resit the exam in the summer, if you want an A get the A2 book and learn the Crime and Deviance section, the Methods and the Theories back to front so that you can recall anything- don't let anything be a grey area.
Once you've done that read the relevant sections in the Haralambos and Holborne textbook; it's great for a deeper understanding.
Although your teacher might obsess over learning all the sociologists and their theories, as long as you know the names for the the main theories such as subcultural etc you should be OK- I wouldn't personally worry too much about learning the sociologists who just say a line or two.

It might seem a bit daunting at first but once you get into it it's actually quite interesting. Just make notes to back up your revision and use index cards to remember the theories and names.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Do you all have textbooks for Sociology? Is that why everyone on here is getting A's!? Our teacher just gives us notes, powerpoints and essays. People in our class on average come out with a D or E first time around and have to repeat a second time and end up with a B. There's only one A in our class.
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
Do you all have textbooks for Sociology? Is that why everyone on here is getting A's!? Our teacher just gives us notes, powerpoints and essays. People in our class on average come out with a D or E first time around and have to repeat a second time and end up with a B. There's only one A in our class.

Yeah we all have textbooks. Have a look on Amazon, you might be able to pick one up cheap.
Original post by danielsmith
Yeah we all have textbooks. Have a look on Amazon, you might be able to pick one up cheap.

My website has a list of the best A level sociology textbooks: http://www.socialsciencetutor.co.uk/textbooks
Reply 284
Original post by IHeartAmerica1993
Yay got an A! (111)
Sooo happy literally thought I was gonna get a D.
Does anyone know the overall UMS marks for ALL units so I can know how much I need to get in the next exam to get an A overall?

Well done :smile: If your course is like mine...

I got told its out of 320 UMS overall?
(edited 13 years ago)
The overall UMS for all units is actually 400.
You need 320/400 to get an A.
280/400 to get a B, etc.

(:
Reply 286
Whee I got an A (102) which I'm really happy with considering I never managed to revise about 50% of the module.. and I got a low C last year so brings it up a bit. I'm resitting Education though, so if I bring that up from C to B then I'll only need a mid-C to scrape an A in the summer :biggrin: Yay.
I got 89 in this exam...just wondering should I repeat it in June to get an A or repeat AS Family paper? This one would obviously be harder but I will have like a few weeks in June to revise it, rather than Family which is the same day as 2 other exams. What are my chances of getting an A*?

Please help ASAP as I have to decide by tomorrow!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by _Dreamer_
I got 89 in this exam...just wondering should I repeat it in June to get an A or repeat AS Family paper? This one would obviously be harder but I will have like a few weeks in June to revise it, rather than Family which is the same day as 2 other exams. What are my chances of getting an A*?

Please help ASAP as I have to decide by tomorrow!

I would of loved to have gotten 89. Do it again, as the Family & Households module will not be as familiar to you as Crime & Deviance is, considering you were just after sitting it in Jan. Just opt for what is more fresh in your mind.

I might not even get into University now if I slip up on my repeat of Crime & Deviance along with the new Mass Media module. Knowing that there are no more chances to repeat after June and sitting them papers will be my last ever time doing a Sociology exam... :frown: Absolutely terrified.
(edited 13 years ago)
I would of loved to have gotten 89. Do it again, as the Family & Households module will not be as familiar to you as Crime & Deviance is, considering you were just after sitting it in Jan. Just opt for what is more fresh in your mind.

I might not even get into University now if I slip up on my repeat of Crime & Deviance along with the new Mass Media module. Knowing that there are no more chances to repeat after June and sitting them papers will be my last ever time doing a Sociology exam... :frown: Absolutely terrified.

Mass media is awful, do beliefs :tongue:

Also I don't think an all nighter is an option for next time!

I'm worried I wont be able to improve much more though, that paper was hard and there is so much to learn. I'm currently on around 255 marks..So I need to get 65 between the next 2 exams I do in June?
Original post by teaandcoffee
Mass media is awful, do beliefs :tongue:

Also I don't think an all nighter is an option for next time!

Lol! It's actually not all that bad. It's certainly far easier in comparison to Crime & Deviance; the amount of content in that module is ridiculous. Besides, we've no choice in the matter of choosing modules to sit, that's the responsibility of the teacher.

The reason I did an all nighter was due to last year (Summer). I got a B in my Family & Households repeat and also a B in the new Education module. For both of them, I did all nighters. I thought it was due to me being able to keep the information fresh in my mind, as I had literally only read over the stuff a few hours prior to the test. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case this time around. Then again, I always seem to do quite bad in Sociology first time around (January), then make things hard for myself by taking two modules in June, resulting in a more successful grade lol

Only 3 out of 17 students in Sociology class passed the Crime & Deviance module - A, B, C. The rest of us got D's, E's and U's. We are obviously doing something drastically wrong, as there seems to a similar pattern each year (Fail in January, pass in June). It's difficult for me to understand how some people slate Sociology for being a so-called 'soft' subject, and I'm sure the majority of my class mates would agree with me on this statement - It's a struggle to even pass :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by _Dreamer_
I'm worried I wont be able to improve much more though, that paper was hard and there is so much to learn. I'm currently on around 255 marks..So I need to get 65 between the next 2 exams I do in June?

I certainly agree with you there on how difficult it was, although our opinions don't seem to be shared on this thread; everyone is coming out with near 100%!! MAKES. ME. SICK! lol

I don't know. Would you not settle for a B? I know I would... :frown: It's entirely up to you, only you know which module you are more knowledgable of.
I certainly agree with you there on how difficult it was, although our opinions don't seem to be shared on this thread; everyone is coming out with near 100%!! MAKES. ME. SICK! lol

I don't know. Would you not settle for a B? I know I would... :frown: It's entirely up to you, only you know which module you are more knowledgable of.

Ugh the thought of revising it again fills me with dread! Ahh I wish I could settle for a B...ive pretty much settled for a B in another subject and I need AAB for uni :frown:
Reply 294
Does anybody have any good websites or notes to revise from as i am really struggling to understand crime and deviance when it comes to one of my teachers. I just dont learn anything in their lessons, thanks
Reply 295
Hiya
does anyone have any suggestions or predictions on the questions that might come up in the resit crime and deviance paper in june...the teacher is no help for resits...:/..thanks that would be great. The january exam was really hard, it was on left and right realists, which there's not much to write about...please any information would be great...:smile: x
Original post by N4eon
Hiya
does anyone have any suggestions or predictions on the questions that might come up in the resit crime and deviance paper in june...the teacher is no help for resits...:/..thanks that would be great. The january exam was really hard, it was on left and right realists, which there's not much to write about...please any information would be great...:smile: x

Revise everything.

There are no predictions over what may come up, just cos something came up in Jan doesn't mean it won't come up in Summer. :smile: Good luck.
Original post by N4eon
Hiya

There was nothing about realism in that paper :s-smilie:
Reply 298
there was in the OCR
not sure about AQA
two 50 mark questions to answer
what questions did you get?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340972424/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk I'm considering buying this book to secure an overall B at A-Level. Family & Households - Middle B, Education & Research Methods - Middle B. Crime & Deviance in Jan - U! :frown: Please god I'll get 2 B's again in June, I'm repeating Crime & Deviance along with Mass Media. I really don't understand how everyone on here does so bloody well in Sociology... Like seriously near enough around the 100% range for the majority of you's, sickens me when I find it a constant battle to even get B's lol I'm entirely depending on sociology to secure my chances of getting into University :frown:

Does anyone know if the book is any good? Anyone got it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending