The Student Room Group

Why are British men the most attractive in the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
*The Irish are more beautiful
*More lovely accents

Really?

I think English people consider Irish people to be 'exotic'. They may be, i will keep my eyes open for more irish women.
Original post by Hylean
Sources? Mostly for my own personal interest, not to challenge your arguments.

The Black Irish could also have been there a lot longer than the Spanish Armada. The Irish are apparently genetically close to those of the Iberian peninsula, an idea which finds evidence in the Book of Invasions.

Ginger hair is exceptionally popular when termed "red-head", and apparently comes from Scandinavia originally, where it is still reasonably common.

Going by your argument, there's more Celtic blood in America, though not by concentration, thanks to the amount of Irish, Scottish and other Celtic emigrants fleeing there over the centuries. I hope you see the silliness of that argument.

Yes I would know that ginger hair is common among Scandinavians: I have Scandinavian relatives who are ginger but again, that is often dispelled by the more likely fact that the ancient Britons were predominately redheads. It is no surprise then that the highest concentration of redheads is in the British Isles. Trust me, my relatives are not physically seen as typical Scandinavians with their red hair.

The Irish are certainly not closer to those of the Iberian peninsula. What has been suggested is that the bulk of the population of the British Isles came from Iberia anyway: the idea that for some reason they would have settled only in Ireland may appeal to some deluded Irish nationalists but is hardly feasible :rolleyes:

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2006/10/mythsofbritishancestry/

Even before this research, people had realised that the idea that the English were descendants of Angles, Saxons and Jutes had already been dispelled with the failures to find any real signs of ethnic mixing.

In the same way, the idea that there is loads of "celtic" blood in the UK has been proven wrong. The Celts were simply a ruling/super class in the same way that the Baltic Germans were in the Baltic states without there being any substantial amount of German blood among these people.

Any real differences between the various parts of the UK are based on culture: a case in point being that the most important trait for anyone within the British Isles to be able to prove their claim to be English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh is the accent. Try convincing anyone you're Scottish when speaking in a Spanish accent...noone would believe you.
Reply 62
what do you mean by 'British?'
Original post by SamTheMan
Yes I would know that ginger hair is common among Scandinavians: I have Scandinavian relatives who are ginger but again, that is often dispelled by the more likely fact that the ancient Britons were predominately redheads. It is no surprise then that the highest concentration of redheads is in the British Isles. Trust me, my relatives are not physically seen as typical Scandinavians with their red hair.

Now I'm only talking from my own experiences but gingers aren't at all common in Scandinavia (at least not in Sweden or Norway). They are there, but they are few.
There's much to debate about that. Depends where. What accent they have etc.
Original post by Lewroll
I see, so are you saying there isn't much difference in appearance between the average irishman and the average englishman? Because I see no difference (facially)

That's what I'd claim yes. Noone has ever pointed out how the Edge or Adam Clayton stick out within U2 because they don't look Irish (and don't have any Irish ancestry). Give them an Irish accent and noone gives a ****.

A lot of it is in people's minds: if people have a certain image of what an Englishman looks like, for example, every time they see someone who doesn't correspond to that image, they will try to justify it by looking into how they might not really be English, how they're an exception etc. but then any time they see an Englishman that corresponds to that image, it will simply reinforce their idea.

Nevermind the fact that they will come across exceptions 10 times more than the others... that's how the human mind works when it comes to prejudice. It's a very stubborn and immovable thing.
Original post by *mMmMm*

Original post by *mMmMm*
There's much to debate about that. Depends where. What accent they have etc.

Agreed.

RP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scouse
Reply 67
But what about Colin Firth and others like that, Swiss women find this type of British man amongst the most attractive in the world.
Original post by Poem boy
But what about Colin Firth and others like that, Swiss women find this type of British man amongst the most attractive in the world.

What is it Swiss women like about Colin Firth, would you say? Accent? Humour?
Reply 69
Original post by Mick Travis
What is it Swiss women like about Colin Firth, would you say? Accent? Humour?

They love the perceived upper class aura that the British seem to do so well. The feeling of class and tradition enveloped in smooth regal zeitgeist is a real turn on for them. They also love the traditional dress sense.
Reply 70
I have a thing for British men (not chavs). But again, I'm an Anglophile (yes, I've been to Britain).
(edited 13 years ago)
They love the perceived upper class aura that the British seem to do so well. The feeling of class and tradition enveloped in smooth regal zeitgeist is a real turn on for them. They also love the traditional dress sense.

Except most British men are perverted binge drinkers that pounce on anything in a skirt and not sauve or classy in the slighttest.
Reply 72
Original post by JayB124
Except most British men are perverted binge drinkers that pounce on anything in a skirt and not sauve or classy in the slighttest.

A lot of ladies are fooled by the BBC and their period dramas. They are talented at finding very good looking men. Though there are a lot of lovely British men.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't know about that, each to their own.
Because all the men from one country look exactly the same....
Reply 75

Damn, why didn't I pay more attention in French?! However, I am fluent in American :sexface:
Reply 76
The sunburnt skin and excessive sun tan lotion makes them stand out on holiday, I guess.

Okay. Im a bit surprised though. I thought Continentals felt it was about time Britain got with the revolution (1789 and all that). I thought we were mocked for our class system. Now I realise it's just envy :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Luceria
I have a thing for British men (not chavs). But again, I'm an Anglophile (yes, I've been to Britain).

cool word. I like it. me too. but I differentiate between AE and BE. :wink:
Reply 79
Original post by Cynthi007
cool word. I like it. me too. but I differentiate between AE and BE. :wink:

Anglophile, Britophile. I'm both, haha .

Quick Reply

Latest