The Student Room Group

Can't Decide Dundee Vs. Southampton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bellissima
southampton is one of THE most depressing cities in the UK.

haha That isn't a great endorsement! :biggrin: Would you mind telling me why you think that? I was only there for a day, so I didn't see much of it at all.
Reply 21
Original post by Stacks
Dundee is actually pretty hot and meant to be the sunniest city in Scotland. In summer it's absolutely gorgeous with blue sky and no clouds around. Saying that the weather can turn quite quickly, was really nice and warm last week, then yesterday we had snow :tongue:

As for the vibe

Spoiler

Dundee has the best student's union in Scotland, 4th best in the UK and the best value student drinks prices in the UK according to The Times Higher Education survey. So it's pretty good. :cool:

And we're basically right next to the sea. And we have Europe's only one sided shopping centre apparently - clearly should be Dundee's biggest claim to fame :tongue:

Just figured I'd give a bit of a balanced view point. I would have ruled Dundee out if I hadn't come up and visited it but it's a lovely place. :rolleyes:

Appreciate your post, that shopping centre does sound like its worth a visit!!
I was there in January so it looked quite bleak, but I suppose everywhere in the UK did then.
Your right about the ratings I hear Dundee is better placed in the league tables too, but I don't know how reliable they are.
Are you a medic yourself, do you know if the school at Ninewells is being redeveloped?
Original post by jbradley427
haha That isn't a great endorsement! :biggrin: Would you mind telling me why you think that? I was only there for a day, so I didn't see much of it at all.

yeah sure, i lived near there for two years (well on the outskirts) and whenever i went into town i just had this wave of depression, it doesn't look nice, there are chavs everywhere, it's dirty... i know i probably sound like a right snob or really uptight.. i just don't know how to explain it. it's just ugly. especially the clock tower. i don't really know how to describe it.
Reply 23
Original post by Bellissima
yeah sure, i lived near there for two years (well on the outskirts) and whenever i went into town i just had this wave of depression, it doesn't look nice, there are chavs everywhere, it's dirty... i know i probably sound like a right snob or really uptight.. i just don't know how to explain it. it's just ugly. especially the clock tower. i don't really know how to describe it.

Fair comment. I don't think Dundee or Southampton are particularly renowned for their buildings. :smile: I think I passed the clock, was that the Guildhall?? lol
I thought the bus service though pretty fantastic in Southampton.

Is there much to do in the area, I just assume there are more things to keep me occupied on the south coast then in Dundee, but maybe I am very wrong.
Fair comment. I don't think Dundee or Southampton are particularly renowned for their buildings. :smile: I think I passed the clock, was that the Guildhall?? lol
I thought the bus service though pretty fantastic in Southampton.

Is there much to do in the area, I just assume there are more things to keep me occupied on the south coast then in Dundee, but maybe I am very wrong.

yeah it's not just the buildings.. it's just the general city and vibe.. and whenever i think of southampton it's in this grey kind of just-rained colour...
yeah the one with the ugly green roof, not sure if it was the guildhall... never been there, i always thought it was town hall or something :smile:

that is one good thing, from the train station you can get a free bus to the large shopping centre, ferry to hythe, asda and smaller shopping centre etc. and the other buses are alright, they have a bus that goes from the uni to the hospital to the shops etc.

also, i don't know much about dundee, but i guess southampton you're kind of near to the nice beaches if you catch a train to somewhere.
Reply 25
Original post by Stacks
It's pretty nice but nothing really special...it'll likely be the only shopping centre you use in Dundee unless you fancy a trip to Poundland or TJ Hughes.

And the weather was awful this winter..we only had snow at the start of December really but it hung around for ages (last year I went home for xmas for about a week, had no proper snow in the lead up to xmas in Dundee then as soon as I leave there is suddenly snow, by the time I got back it was slush...was gutted!)

Also I know Dundee is really quite good for the courses it offers, it sort of amazes me at some of the things they come up with. Apparently they developed some patch for skin cancer .. I really didn't expect things like that to happen here :tongue:

I'm not a medic (nor do I go to Dundee uni) but I have a few friends who do go there (admittedly they aren't medics either). I'll try and find out about the Ninewells redevelopment for you, I have a friend who does placement there in the summer months so they should probably have a better idea than me.

Thanks for you help :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Sarky
Hmm I do think that there are places that offer stronger anatomy (they have recently changed the course and I did the old one so can't comment too much). But it was still enough for what I needed and they have now implemented things like a surgical society for those people who want more anatomy.

Southampton has a great course (I know I sound like i'm gushing), but for the most part I have enjoyed it here. The year group is big enough so that its not claustrophobic but smaller enough to be friendly. I intercalated so i'm in a different year now and I still find that i'm meeting new people 10 weeks before my finals. The spiral curriculum seems to work well and the fact that you get an intercalated BMedsci within the 5 years might be an advantage for you, two degrees for the price of one I guess. I had to do the same amount of work and got nothing for it (i'm not bitter honest).

I'm from London and Southampton is close enough that I can pop back, even for the day and it isn't too far, but there is enough to do down here. The new forest is lovely and very close, and southampton doesn't have a beach but many places nearby do.

I think Southampton as a city is a boring place tbh, but then i'm from London. I won't miss the city when I leave but I will miss the uni and my friends that will still be here. That said I got a place at Kings and I don't regret turning it down for Southampton, I would again. I'm sure Dundee has its strengths but I don't know much about the course. It just seems so far away! And cold. I'm big on not being cold right now.

Hope that is helpful

I meant to ask you earlier, you know the way Southampton now awards the BMedSc alongside the BM degree. Well, can this be used/listed as another degree when you are completing your foundation programme application?
Reply 27
I meant to ask you earlier, you know the way Southampton now awards the BMedSc alongside the BM degree. Well, can this be used/listed as another degree when you are completing your foundation programme application?

This is a question I want to know the answer too as well!!!!
If it has equal weighting to an intercalated bsc
Reply 28

Yes it is listed as another degree, however it is not given the same amount of points as a full intercalated degree as it is done within the 5 year period.
Reply 29
Original post by Sarky
Yes it is listed as another degree, however it is not given the same amount of points as a full intercalated degree as it is done within the 5 year period.

how is it weighted in comparison?
Reply 30
Original post by hsparkle
how is it weighted in comparison?

I don't know because I didn't do one but I know it is less. You can find out by looking at the application form bumpf it should be somewhere on the ukfpo website.
Reply 31
Original post by Sarky
I don't know because I didn't do one but I know it is less. You can find out by looking at the application form bumpf it should be somewhere on the ukfpo website.

Thankyou :biggrin: It is one of my biggest deciders between Southampton and BSMS, I think. And did I hear the only subject you can intercalate in at Soton is biomed?

Thankyou so much for your help!
Reply 32
Thankyou :biggrin: It is one of my biggest deciders between Southampton and BSMS, I think. And did I hear the only subject you can intercalate in at Soton is biomed?

I second that, thanks again!
Reply 33

That was the case before. Now you can't intercalate in a Bsc, if you intercalate you get a masters, but that is not open to everyone. I intercalated elsewhere because I didn't want to do biomed but I think the BMedsci is more personalised so you can do it in something you are interested in, but not 100% on that.

Good luck wherever you choose both of you.
Reply 34
You should definatly go for Dundee, its one of the Top 200 universities in the world. In terms of student life in Dundee its fantastic. I've been studying here for 4 years and i've loved evey minute of it!

Great uni, great nightlife, great shops, bars, restaurants etc

The city has a real student feel to it with lots going on all the time.
Reply 35
Original post by s.findlay
You should definatly go for Dundee, its one of the Top 200 universities in the world. In terms of student life in Dundee its fantastic. I've been studying here for 4 years and i've loved evey minute of it!

Great uni, great nightlife, great shops, bars, restaurants etc

The city has a real student feel to it with lots going on all the time.

Thanks for that. :smile: Would you be able to tell me is the University refurbishing the medical school at Ninewells?
There was some mention of it at interview day, but I had to leave early so didn't get round to finding out!
Though I was in the 'furnace' lecture theatre :biggrin: Have they sorted out the heat in that yet?
Reply 36
I'm not too sure to tbh, I know that the uni have just spent £200 million on thier campus so the medical school may well be in line for a refurb

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending