The Student Room Group

Cardiff, York or Sussex for Biochem

I have offers for biochem at 5 universities and have shortlisted this to 3; York(ABB), Cardiff(ABB)and Sussex(ABC). I need to select one for my firm and another as insurance.

Cardiff - Favourite location, has placement year and russell group, but has a generalised first year and lowest in league tables.
York - Favourite course, high in league tables but didn't get 'the feel' for it.
Sussex - Lowest offer, beach location, fairly high in league tables but is very far from where I live (might become a positive) and accommodation not guaranteed if not firm choice.

Can anyone give me advise to help me choose. :smile:
Reply 1
If I were you I'd firm Cardiff and insure Sussex, unless you are pretty sure you won't get ABB in which case you should firm sussex! If York didn't feel right, don't go there. You need to be happy with where you go and Cardiff is a brilliant place to go to university!
Reply 2
Original post by Pheebs1201
If I were you I'd firm Cardiff and insure Sussex, unless you are pretty sure you won't get ABB in which case you should firm sussex! If York didn't feel right, don't go there. You need to be happy with where you go and Cardiff is a brilliant place to go to university!

This is what I am thinking will be best. Even if I dont get ABB, I have heard Cardiff are quite good at accepting lower than expected results on the day if you ring them.
Reply 3
Yeah I've heard that too :smile:
Reply 4
If York didn't feel right to you then don't go for it, you'll spend the next 3 years regretting you didn't go somewhere you felt more at home. York offered me a place for AAA, is the *best* considering league tables, but I went on a visit day and absolutely hated it there, no point in me sticking in a place due to reputation.
Reply 5
Original post by natashapt
If York didn't feel right to you then don't go for it, you'll spend the next 3 years regretting you didn't go somewhere you felt more at home. York offered me a place for AAA, is the *best* considering league tables, but I went on a visit day and absolutely hated it there, no point in me sticking in a place due to reputation.

I know a few people who are considering *lower* unis in legue table terms, because York didn't feel like a place they could live. I absolutely loved Cardiff though, and at the end of the day, a degree is a degree.
Reply 6
Well if you love it- theirs you answer! It's frustrating, people say the only reason Cardiff is slightly lowers because it's in Wales- how ridiculous! I think they'll keep climbing the league tables to be honest.

My best friend firmed Cardiff for biochem last week haha :biggrin:
Reply 7
Whatever floats your boat though York is the strongest department
Reply 8
I've only been to York and Sussex but I didn't like York but loved Sussex. I love Brighton, I always want to go there! It's a lovely campus and it still ranks well :smile:
Original post by rach.9
This is what I am thinking will be best. Even if I dont get ABB, I have heard Cardiff are quite good at accepting lower than expected results on the day if you ring them.

Original post by rach.9

I'd say go for Cardiff as your firm and Sussex as your insurance, especially if Cardiff are known for accepting people who get a little below their offers. It is about prestige and league tables in a sense, but there's no point in going to a uni where the atmosphere isn't right for you. I'm currently in my first year at Sussex doing Biochem, and it's a really good place to go to uni! Also, there is a degree programme with the placement year at Sussex, if you didn't know.
Original post by rach.9
I have offers for biochem at 5 universities and have shortlisted this to 3; York(ABB), Cardiff(ABB)and Sussex(ABC). I need to select one for my firm and another as insurance.

Cardiff - Favourite location, has placement year and russell group, but has a generalised first year and lowest in league tables.
York - Favourite course, high in league tables but didn't get 'the feel' for it.
Sussex - Lowest offer, beach location, fairly high in league tables but is very far from where I live (might become a positive) and accommodation not guaranteed if not firm choice.

Can anyone give me advise to help me choose. :smile:

Hey, I applied to Biochemistry too this year. I didn't apply to York because of the distance but what I heard is that it has one of the best departments in the country (top 5ish)- what is unique about their course is that it is taught by both the Biology and Chemistry departments. But if you didn't get the 'feel' for the university then maybe it is best to go with your gut and go with Cardiff?
Reply 11
Original post by rach.9

Hey I didn't like York much on the open day but now I'm here I love it. Theres a lot about the uni that grows on you, something to consider if the course is the best...
Original post by rach.9
I know a few people who are considering *lower* unis in legue table terms, because York didn't feel like a place they could live. I absolutely loved Cardiff though, and at the end of the day, a degree is a degree.

I didn't feel like I fitted in or anything, go with your heart :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending