The Student Room Group

The women beggars- Oxford Road (MANCHESTER)

I hate them. All the time, just causing a nuisance. You want to walk to university, they randomly appear "please change" or they have that cardboard thing. I walk past them and ignore them- but it is so hard.

Just cos I have a brown face - does not mean I am nice or kind or willing to part with my money. If anything, I add to the stereotype of being uptight.

I remember giving them 30p once, they were asking for more- the ungrateful swines. They wear the headscarves and it is so obvious that they are not distinctly muslim.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Male_Melons
I hate them. All the time, just causing a nuisance. You want to walk to university, they randomly appear "please change" or they have that cardboard thing. I walk past them and ignore them- but it is so hard.

Just cos I have a brown face - does not mean I am nice or kind or willing to part with my money. If anything, I add to the stereotype of being uptight.

I remember giving them 30p once, they were asking for more- the ungrateful swines. They wear the headscarves and it is so obvious that they are not distinctly muslim.

One of them walked into a subway store the other day and started asking every single person in the long queue for money.
You should go:

Original post by SuperiorHuman
One of them walked into a subway store the other day and started asking every single person in the long queue for money.

All the time. Load of subways on oxford road- which one?

The one near my university which is halal, and then there is 2 near MMU.

I really hate them. Everytime, I am walking, they approach me. They bring their children with them. At first it tugged my wee heartstrings, so gave'em 30p now they can eff off. I swear they curse me when I refuse.

They are three of them, the fat one, and two thinner ones.
Reply 4

Do you think they are really enjoying the experience themselves? Have you ever considered how or why they might have ended up in that situation? Probably don't care though, right?
Original post by Call me Bob
Do you think they are really enjoying the experience themselves? Have you ever considered how or why they might have ended up in that situation? Probably don't care though, right?

Doesn't give them the right to curse anyone. They should get a job. :rolleyes:

It is a nuisance.

To be fair on them, there is another old male beggar that sits down and goes "do you have spare change"? I walked past, he stuck a finger at me. So rude.
Anyway, I done with sympathising. I donate to charity. Homelessness- there is help out there. Anyway begging for money is illegal.
Reply 7
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Yeah the words out that the british public are really sympathetic to women in headscarves so beggars impersonate Muslims :rolleyes:

If you're such a superior form if Muslim why don't you help your sisters out?
Reply 9
Original post by SuperiorHuman
Doesn't give them the right to curse anyone. They should get a job. :rolleyes:

Where does it state they were cursing anyone?
Where does it state they were cursing anyone?

Isn't it just a given that begging old ladies put a curse on anyone they meet? :confused:
Just ignore them/tell them to piss off. If you give them the slightest bit of money they just come chasing you round the streets.

Outside the subway next to Piccadilly station my mate gave this old guy 30p then told him to **** off and get his next fix of drugs. He called us all pricks.

We laughed.
Original post by Joinedup
Yeah the words out that the british public are really sympathetic to women in headscarves so beggars impersonate Muslims :rolleyes:

If you're such a superior form if Muslim why don't you help your sisters out?

They don't even look muslim even if they wear head scarves- there is a facebook group about them. They are probably gypsies.

If they are truly beggars- there is help out there. The town hall is only 10 minute walk away. It would be quite sinful for them to beg needlessly.

I am not rich and I don't carry wads of money around me. I donate to charity when I can. However, it is within my discretion to refuse to give them money. It is all the time, they come up to me as if they can get money out of me. They are annoying.
(edited 13 years ago)
It is a nuisance.

To be fair on them, there is another old male beggar that sits down and goes "do you have spare change"? I walked past, he stuck a finger at me. So rude.
Anyway, I done with sympathising. I donate to charity. Homelessness- there is help out there. Anyway begging for money is illegal.

Begging has little to do with homelessness. It's not the primary motivation - a common misconception though. Very few people who beg are actually street homeless.

Again, maybe think about why some people don't seek or accept the help that is offered.
Original post by Willum Infanta
Just ignore them/tell them to piss off. If you give them the slightest bit of money they just come chasing you round the streets.

Outside the subway next to Piccadilly station my mate gave this old guy 30p then told him to **** off and get his next fix of drugs. He called us all pricks.

We laughed.

That is the old guy that gave me the finger. He smelt like he was on weed as well.

I ignore them. Even when they stand in front of me, I walk off.
Reply 15
Headscarves have little to do with being Muslim. They are very common in Romania, amongst the gypsies. Who coincidentally are the most prolific beggars in many European countries.
Most of them are in Rusholme; have you seen the guy that takes his leg off to shock people? And the women who pops kids out of every single hidden bit of clothing? I was given a note once (in very poor English), something about how the Police had destroyed her life and how the money was needed to feed her dying grandparents... must've given her a pound? She went straight into a shop and bought some Marlboro, clearly she'd amassed a bob or two from some other gullible sods

Oh and they're not Muslims; many Roma women wear them
Tell them all to sign up to the military
That is the old guy that gave me the finger. He smelt like he was on weed as well.

I ignore them. Even when they stand in front of me, I walk off.

To be honest I don't think they are as bad as the beggars in Paris (especially near/under the Eiffel Tower) who just shout in your face and follow you about. Oh and they also looked like most of their teeth were made from gold and their clothes didn't even look too shabby, in fact they looked pretty new...
Original post by TheMeister
Most of them are in Rusholme; have you seen the guy that takes his leg off to shock people? And the women who pops kids out of every single hidden bit of clothing? I was given a note once (in very poor English), something about how the Police had destroyed her life and how the money was needed to feed her dying grandparents... must've given her a pound? She went straight into a shop and bought some Marlboro, clearly she'd amassed a bob or two from some other gullible sods

Oh and they're not Muslims; many Roma women wear them

This.
I haven't seen the guy who takes his leg off. Heard about it though.

That woman, there is three of them, they pop the babies and breast feed in broad daylight. They are not even muslims yet they go around to every brown person they see.

Latest

Trending

Trending