The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

He was quite funny though :toofunny:

Another season, another return of a mentally fragile former player to cover for injuries.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Haha, don't let me start drawing on our results. It would be a long afternoon. :thumbsup:

i wasnt illustrating the score, i was just pointing out the game... :s-smilie:
Original post by jermaindefoe
i wasnt illustrating the score, i was just pointing out the game... :s-smilie:

Sorry, I was being a bit dickish there. :colondollar:

I actually genuinely believe that after Reina, Gomes is the best keeper in the league. It's just that he gets undone by the odd blunder and more often than not the defenders in front of him.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Sorry, I was being a bit dickish there. :colondollar:

I actually genuinely believe that after Reina, Gomes is the best keeper in the league. It's just that he gets undone by the odd blunder and more often than not the defenders in front of him.

np :tongue:

he is a liability and a game winner all rolled in to one, the result of this is not desirable as a nervous fan :/
Original post by jermaindefoe
np :tongue:

he is a liability and a game winner all rolled in to one, the result of this is not desirable as a nervous fan :/

He does seem to have largely got rid of the errors, had a few hairy moments against Milan last week but seems solid now. Like you alluded too he had a blinder against us when you won 2-1 at WHL last season, and even before he was scuppering us. He played really well for PSV when they knocked us out of the champs league a few seasons ago.

Lehmann had the same thing, I remember when he saved the Riquelme's penalty after almost single handedly keeping us in the game to get us to the final.
Reply 6986
Mad Jens

:nooo:

:rofl:
Can't believe we're considering Jens. We'll just have to hope Almunia stays fit.
The prospective reality of Almunia first choice and Lehmann as understudy has just hit me...

Good grief.

:facepalm2:
Reply 6989
Original post by badger-man

:rofl:
Can't believe we're considering Jens. We'll just have to hope Almunia stays fit.

Why is it that no one forgets this incident. One of my faves though :colondollar:

Bring back lehman!! :biggrin:
If the lehman thing is wengers idea... then he has officially lost his ****
Reply 6991
Just wow.
I welcome Jens Lehmann back to Arsenal with open arms. His presence in the dressing room will no doubt be positive for the rest of the lads. Here stands a man who has won the UEFA Cup, Serie A, Bundesliga, Premier League, FA Cup, both Champions League and World Cup runner up as well as two time UEFA goalkeeper of the year. He may not be the most loved player in the world but it's about time we get in some winners but more importantly, some experience. People on here simply fail to understand just how having an experienced veteran can lift confidence and moral in the club. Man United are doing wonderful things with the help of Giggs and Scholes, Liverpool will strive to keep Carragher and Gerrard, Chelsea likewise with Terry and Lampard. We are the only team without a spine.
Look, sooner or later every club has to move on, progress, change and adapt - Wenger is a great manager with good ethos and work ethic, he's good at raising and spotting young talent and incorporating it into a team that works well together and can play week in week out with passion, flare - good ball posession and excellent link up play that has almost come to define Arsenals style and presence in the game for many a year now

He's got so much experience managing at the highest level and in English football that it's a wonder as to exactly why the team hasn't managed to actually win a trophy since 2005? I'm often always skeptical about blaming a manager for a teams lack of sucess and trophy drought but managers, the teams shape, method of playing and the teams' attitude towards said manager really do affect so much, it's often overlooked

Look what Rafa ended up doing to Liverpool before he left, look at how France completely capitulated in the World Cup last year after open revolt and disagreements with the players and the manager - A world class team can easily lose match if they play with no passion, drive and are disheartened by playing because of a stubborn, rigid and brick wall of a manager - Fact.

Also referring to Capello and the total shambles that was Englands world cup disaster in 2010, yes these are national teams as examples so may not be as relevant to current Club situations as the stakes are a lot higher, they're watched by many millions around the world etc (so is the premier league but hey) but the same general rule of thumb follows imo

I'm not saying Wenger is a bad manager, but he IS rigid, he IS very stubborn and apparently not that open to changing Arsenals' style of play, our squad make up and doesn't seem to be that open to bringing in new, fresh players in certain areas (because...?) - I'm still vying for another class striker tbh, when Van Persie's out we just play Bendtner up front and or Chamakh (which hasn't proven all too scuessful recently)

Barcelona is an excellent example - Arsenal was Barcelona a fair few seasons ago in the early - mid 2000s, they won nothing season after season under poor management and direction, it seemed like they were going nowhere and there wasn't any good prospect for their future - Enter Pep Guardiola just under 5 seasons ago who has shaken up, revitalized and 'pimped' out the team and the rest is history

This isn't just a blame the manager backlash after losing a match or getting knocked out of a cup, I never ever jump to the 'Ohh it's wengers' fault, he has to go', I often criticise fans that go for his throat after we lose any game but this is what I honestly think, despite his experience and expertise as a manager at the highest level, the Club could easily do with fresh vision and appointment in my opinion

I also sincerely hope I'm wrong and we do win some trophy in the next 2 seasons (Wenger should be out by the summer 2013 anyway)
Original post by lukejoshjedi

...and who should come in?
Original post by TheRustaman
...and who should come in?

Is Almunia that bad.... I Would have thought he had some other class keeper in mind tbh just in case
Reply 6996
Jens Lehmann- Some one with a winning mentality. Almunia will probably remain number 1 for now, but having Lehmann in the dressing room will be great for our players, he will bring experience and hopefully will help the team know that they can go and win the EPL!
Reply 6997
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Look, sooner or later every club has to move on, progress, change and adapt - Wenger is a great manager with good ethos and work ethic, he's good at raising and spotting young talent and incorporating it into a team that works well together and can play week in week out with passion, flare - good ball posession and excellent link up play that has almost come to define Arsenals style and presence in the game for many a year now

He's got so much experience managing at the highest level and in English football that it's a wonder as to exactly why the team hasn't managed to actually win a trophy since 2005? I'm often always skeptical about blaming a manager for a teams lack of sucess and trophy drought but managers, the teams shape, method of playing and the teams' attitude towards said manager really do affect so much, it's often overlooked

Look what Rafa ended up doing to Liverpool before he left, look at how France completely capitulated in the World Cup last year after open revolt and disagreements with the players and the manager - A world class team can easily lose match if they play with no passion, drive and are disheartened by playing because of a stubborn, rigid and brick wall of a manager - Fact.

Also referring to Capello and the total shambles that was Englands world cup disaster in 2010, yes these are national teams as examples so may not be as relevant to current Club situations as the stakes are a lot higher, they're watched by many millions around the world etc (so is the premier league but hey) but the same general rule of thumb follows imo

I'm not saying Wenger is a bad manager, but he IS rigid, he IS very stubborn and apparently not that open to changing Arsenals' style of play, our squad make up and doesn't seem to be that open to bringing in new, fresh players in certain areas (because...?) - I'm still vying for another class striker tbh, when Van Persie's out we just play Bendtner up front and or Chamakh (which hasn't proven all too scuessful recently)

Barcelona is an excellent example - Arsenal was Barcelona a fair few seasons ago in the early - mid 2000s, they won nothing season after season under poor management and direction, it seemed like they were going nowhere and there wasn't any good prospect for their future - Enter Pep Guardiola just under 5 seasons ago who has shaken up, revitalized and 'pimped' out the team and the rest is history

This isn't just a blame the manager backlash after losing a match or getting knocked out of a cup, I never ever jump to the 'Ohh it's wengers' fault, he has to go', I often criticise fans that go for his throat after we lose any game but this is what I honestly think, despite his experience and expertise as a manager at the highest level, the Club could easily do with fresh vision and appointment in my opinion

I also sincerely hope I'm wrong and we do win some trophy in the next 2 seasons (Wenger should be out by the summer 2013 anyway)

:rolleyes:

well.... isn't that true?

2000–01 Real Madrid | Deportivo de La Coruña | Real Mallorca
2001–02 Valencia | Deportivo de La Coruña | Real Madrid
2002–03 Real Madrid - | Real Sociedad | Deportivo de La Coruña
2003–04 Valencia - | Barcelona | Deportivo de La Coruña
2004–05 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Villarreal
2005–06 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Valencia
2006–07 Real Madrid | Barcelona | Sevilla
2007–08 Real Madrid | Villarreal | Barcelona
2008–09 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Sevilla
2009–10 Barcelona | Real Madrid | Valencia

Winner| Second Place| Third Place|

Well (Barca) they won :a Liga twice in the mid 2000s but apart from that... it's been pretty recent hasn't it. Just saying, I admit I don't know everything about Barcelonas' management and recent success or lack of in the last 11 years
(edited 13 years ago)
Almost all of the Barcelona team were inherited by Pep though, with a great deal of excellent youngsters (Messi, Pedro, Iniesta) already on the books there his job was made a million times easier for him.

That's not to say he hasn't done a very good job at Barca though.

Latest