The Student Room Group

How much harder is getting a degree at Uni than an A level at College?

Is there a big step up between A levels and Uni?

I am struggling a little at A level and I am considering going to Uni, however if it is a LOT harder at Uni then I am worried that I will struggle!
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
Is there a big step up between A levels and Uni?

I am struggling a little at A level and I am considering going to Uni, however if it is a LOT harder at Uni then I am worried that I will struggle!

Do you want to be any more subjective? Everyone would define the step up in a different way, the answer will vary from person to person.
*sigh*

You don't seem like the type to go asking these questions...just sayin'

It is not OBVIOUS the sort of extra work, different work and learning environments you will face?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I was struggling at uni and am currently heading for a 2:1 in law. At uni your focusing on what you want to study alot more which you will find easier. I enjoy law so i dont mind doing extra reading. If you dont do much work its not to hard to get a 3rd as long as you roughly no what your talking about - if that helps
Reply 3
Depends what you do
Since many people have asked what I want to do, it will be an undergraduate degree in sport (although I am not certain which area of sport at the moment).
Reply 5
I don't think its harder as in the material you are taught although that will vary depending on the subject but I think what some people struggle with is the independent learning and the change from classroom teaching to lecture hall approach.
But assuming you enjoy the subject, have a career in mind and actually want to pass then doing the extra work on your own shouldn't be a problem.
Original post by DeepStar
I don't think its harder as in the material you are taught although that will vary depending on the subject but I think what some people struggle with is the independent learning and the change from classroom teaching to lecture hall approach.
But assuming you enjoy the subject, have a career in mind and actually want to pass then doing the extra work on your own shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!!
Reply 7
Thanks!!

No problem. Enjoy the experience and keep a healthy balance between working and play, you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by super.teve
Do you want to be any more subjective? Everyone would define the step up in a different way, the answer will vary from person to person.
*sigh*

You don't seem like the type to go asking these questions...just sayin'

It is not OBVIOUS the sort of extra work, different work and learning environments you will face?

Says the person who's not even at uni yet. :\
Original post by becky.fm
Says the person who's not even at uni yet. :\

Why does that matter? I've done my research, first and second hand.
Siblings and friends at at university too.

Reply 10
Original post by super.teve
Why does that matter? I've done my research, first and second hand.
Siblings and friends at at university too.

Oh, you've done your research through TSR i assume? Ha. You won't have a clue until you try it yourself, so stop being so condescending to the OP.
Oh, you've done your research through TSR i assume? Ha. You won't have a clue until you try it yourself, so stop being so condescending to the OP.

Sorry to get involved in your dispute, but does 'OP' stand for 'Original Poster'???
Reply 12
Sorry to get involved in your dispute, but does 'OP' stand for 'Original Poster'???

Yah.
Yah.

Ok, thanks!

No, through people I know?! Through my friends having parents working as lecturers, to visits to the universities, through common sense and an English trip to Aberystwyth last year for a week.

Pedantic or what?
I'm glad you asked this question OP,as I've been worrying about it too.I have a real issue with time management and sometimes find elements of my courses now quite difficult,so worry how difficult university may be.
Original post by OddThings
I'm glad you asked this question OP,as I've been worrying about it too.I have a real issue with time management and sometimes find elements of my courses now quite difficult,so worry how difficult university may be.

that is just the same as me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending