The Student Room Group

hows life after uni ?

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get a postgrad degree after your course OP.
& after that why don't you travel, see the world & go on adventures etc?
I assume it's like how your parents are now? :s

Or over a decade and a half before at least. :L
Why would you go to uni in order to work in a job you hate? =/ Isn't the idea to do something you enjoy doing? Unless you're doing some ridiculous degree with no application from a career POV than allowing you to tick "graduate" on the application form.

Nothing wrong with working 9-5. I work 9-5 and have a lot of fun. Like people have said, your day ends at 5 (if you want it to, that is...). The rest of the time is yours. You have money. Your own money, not government scrounged money. You can move on from the cotton-wool protected existence that most students live and do what you actually want to do. Infinitely better than being a student IMO.
Reply 23
Original post by moshing-fairy
you're only just applying to uni now? so how can you answer without knowing uni life?

I don't think my reply assumed any knowledge of uni life :confused:

I was talking about a 9-5 job, which is what my brother has now that he's left uni and I pretty much just described his life - free evenings and weekends.
Reply 24
Original post by Vohamanah
Why would you go to uni in order to work in a job you hate? =/ Isn't the idea to do something you enjoy doing? Unless you're doing some ridiculous degree with no application from a career POV than allowing you to tick "graduate" on the application form.

Nothing wrong with working 9-5. I work 9-5 and have a lot of fun. Like people have said, your day ends at 5 (if you want it to, that is...). The rest of the time is yours. You have money. Your own money, not government scrounged money. You can move on from the cotton-wool protected existence that most students live and do what you actually want to do. Infinitely better than being a student IMO.

Have you heard of the term ''economic crisis''?
Reply 25
I've always had a good balance between work and play, I don't think a lifestyle change will alter that :biggrin:
Cant wait for uni to finish so i have money to do things for once
Original post by hippieglitter
i have a perfectly house-trained boyfriend who cooks and cleans,.

You...YOU!!

MONSTER!
Reply 28
honestly work will be your life after uni. so it is important to do a job you love.
Reply 29
lol it cant be that bad or everyone would be topping themselves
Original post by tigertiger
yeah but do you still have same fun as you had in uni ?

Yes, as I'm no longer have to constantly think and worry about having to study and do coursework. When I finish work at 5.30pm and during weekends I can actually switch off from work and have more fun and the fact that I have money to spend now allows me to do more things e.g. regular trips into London or other cities. Whilst at university I would always constantly worry about how much money I have in my bank and to watch what I spend very carefully!

In a way I do miss the amount of freedom and time spent messing about and having fun but it's not something that you can do forever. In the end you do need to start building your future and carving your own career path to get where you need to go in life instead of being in one single place all the time.
Reply 31
I'm not in uni yet, and am dreading the day.
Original post by in_vogue
Have you heard of the term ''economic crisis''?

Have YOU heard of the terms "determination", "relocating" and "compromise"? Don't use politics to justify the fact you're too lazy to get a job you don't hate every minute of.
Reply 33
Have YOU heard of the terms "determination", "relocating" and "compromise"? Don't use politics to justify the fact you're too lazy to get a job you don't hate every minute of.

I have a job, in France, because yes, I was forced to relocate. No one's using it as an excuse. Just as a factor that may prevent some people from getting a job they enjoy straight after university. You condescending self-righteous bitch.
Original post by tigertiger
i am guessing pretty much that after uni its all over. You will basically do a 9 to 5 job which u dont like. finish work and just go to bed because your too tired. this will continure from mon-friday and you get the weekend off.
everyone will be busy. they have to pay their rent etc so no more parties or fun as used to be in uni. bascally a boring life

As Bill Bailey once said:

"This note is the augmented 4th...or diminished 5th, depending on your outlook on life." :biggrin:
Infact, I feel this link from my heroes, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, is appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-jrq3uozY
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by in_vogue
I have a job, in France, because yes, I was forced to relocate. No one's using it as an excuse. Just as a factor that may prevent some people from getting a job they enjoy straight after university. You condescending self-righteous bitch

Rofl thanks for that last bit, really cheered me up =D

There's a big difference between not having your ideal job and having a job you hate every minute of. Using "but but but there's a recession" as an excuse for being in the latter camp just doesn't wash. There's ALWAYS something better than that out there if you look for it.
Reply 37
Original post by mathew551
I assume it's like how your parents are now? :L

Oh shi-
Choose a career you'll enjoy then :smile:
Reply 39

Exactly. Thanks for this because it better sums up my own thoughts, a rigid 9-5 is conducive to a solid working life and you can achieve loads whie separating work and play - at university, especially at MSc level, the structure is virtually nil yet you always have something you should be doing so it takes some very serious self-discipline to be able to structure your day in the same fashion.

I personally don't know anyone who has managed to get the balance just right, and I've been a student for years. In an ideal world, university would be a rigid 9-5 just like a job (with allotted lecture, lab and coursework slots), so that students are forced into a world-aware paradigm from the very start and wouldn't go into the workplace blasé to what is required. However, this is entirely impractical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending