The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In china 9 year old boy squats 120kg @ 40kg bw - http://news.sina.com.cn/s/p/2011-03-11/054522092430.shtml
Original post by redbuthotter
iirc sofas weighed 90 something kg.

Yea 94 or something accoridng to his blog but the point still stands that a girl that can squat nearly 2*BW is more impressive than a guy that squats 1.3*BW.
Reply 22
Original post by riotgrrl
I'd be impressed!

In my gym, there's a proper massive weights area with all the machines and the heavy weights and stuff and then there's a section over at the other side with a mirror and some yoga balls and a little rack of weights that go from 1kg-10kg. It's supposedly for "stretching" but honestly, it's where 99% of the women go to use weights. It's way too intimidating to go over to the proper weights section which is like a testosterone bonanza. I think that that's more of a reason that women don't use heavier weights than fear of being bulky. Not to mention I have no idea how to DO half of the stuff over there- sure, you could look up "deadlift" or whatever on the internet but it would be scary trying something out for the first time in the middle of the gym and you might hurt yourself and how would you even know what weight to start off with, etc.

So yeah, I'd be really impressed if a woman in my gym went over and started lifting super heavy weights. I'm gonna stick to my little girly section though xD

What gym do you go to? Not Surrey Sports Park judging from your description of the layout? Reason I ask is that I can't think of any in the county (perhaps apart from the handful of lifting gyms) with a 'testosterone bonanza' occurring in the weights section. In most of the commercial gyms I've visited in the area, you'd probably intimidate the men by bearing witness to their quarter-squats and 5kg dumbell flys.
Athletic yes..strong..not particularly
Reply 24
Original post by redbuthotter
iirc sofas weighed 90 something kg.

yeah and he can squat a puny140 kg
Reply 25
Original post by Mr. Fox
What gym do you go to? Not Surrey Sports Park judging from your description of the layout? Reason I ask is that I can't think of any in the county (perhaps apart from the handful of lifting gyms) with a 'testosterone bonanza' occurring in the weights section. In most of the commercial gyms I've visited in the area, you'd probably intimidate the men by bearing witness to their quarter-squats and 5kg dumbell flys.

Nope, I go to the Rainbow Centre in Epsom. To be fair, I have never gotten close enough to see how heavy the weights they're lifting are, but they're usually young and vaguely muscular and serious and remind me WAY too much of the boys that used to pick on me in PE :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox, how much you lifting these days man?
Reply 27
Original post by Mr. Fox

What gym are you at? Loving the gathering of Surrey people on this thread :ninja:
Original post by ApplePi
Yeah, squat 90 deadlift 60.

My hands aren't strong enough to deadlift any more than that! I do only weigh 55 though so at least it's above my weight.

I squat more because I'm a sprinter so have stronger legs/glutes. It's just generally easier :P

Are you squatting to depth? If so and you do weight that and shift that I have tio admit I kinda wanna see a pic of your legs.
Reply 29
Original post by Powerlifter
Are you squatting to depth? If so and you do weight that and shift that I have tio admit I kinda wanna see a pic of your legs.

239748764_453443_852333.JPG[

And yes, to depth. Feel the burn :sexface:

My legs do look more muscly during the squats....
Reply 30
I taught my girlfriend to bench for the first time and she did 30kg.
I think her deadlift is about 50.

The most impressive thing is that she's a small girl. Around 52kg.
Original post by ApplePi
239748764_453443_852333.JPG[

And yes, to depth. Feel the burn :sexface:

My legs do look more muscly during the squats....

Respect, you can see quadage to be fair, outer sweep is showing on the bent leg.

I like - respect!!!

How tall are you out of interest?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Respect, you can see quadage to be fair, outer sweep is showing on the bent leg.

I like - respect!!!

How tall are you out of interest?

I do like having muscle but I don't have much choice seeing as I'm an athlete, I am pretty happy with them though!

I'm about 5ft 7.5, why do you ask?
Original post by ApplePi

I do like having muscle but I don't have much choice seeing as I'm an athlete, I am pretty happy with them though!

I'm about 5ft 7.5, why do you ask?

Yeah kinda goes with the territory.

I was trying to gauge squatting technique as you looked to be quite leggy, I know a female lifter who is 55kgs but she is only about 5'2 (also an ex sprinter).
Reply 34
Yeah kinda goes with the territory.

I was trying to gauge squatting technique as you looked to be quite leggy, I know a female lifter who is 55kgs but she is only about 5'2 (also an ex sprinter).

We all know it's about the legs and bum :sexface:
Original post by ApplePi

Well, I can't really argue with that given the amount of times I have stated it.
Reply 36
Original post by ApplePi

how much do you Overhead Press? 60 kg?
Original post by SummerSofas
how much do you Overhead Press? 60 kg?

Are you genuinely dim or do you just not understand that there are different standards for different people? Get off your high horse. Small <60kg women are going to lift less than you and they're not going to press bodyweight. That does not take away from the fact that a 1.5x BW Squat is a very impressive thing for the average woman. Their bone structures are generally smaller and therefore weaker. It's kind of like in the same way very ecto people with thin bones/small joints are generally going to be weaker than their more mesomorphic brethren. Different standards apply to different people. There is not a single standard whereby weight x equals strength. And if there were, you are not anywhere close to it.
Thanks Blind Monk. That's exactly what i wanted to say him to him but you have a better way with words than me...

Hell i'm still about 5kg short of a 1.5*BW Squat(well, for reps anyway, i could prolly 1RM it)...and my squat is my best lift.
Reply 39
Lol i love watching girls do weights:colone: for two reasons, some of them are quite hot and i can't help but admire beauty. The second reason is most girls have the worst weightlifting technique in the world. It's like their main objective is not to gain strength, but to cause serious back, joint and muscle strain.

Girls guide to deadlifting:

Arch back

Look at feet and not straight ahead

Only bend knees slightly

When lifting, lift from lower back

allow shoulders and arms to dangle

Make squealing noise when lifting

Take 5 minutes breaks between sets, to piss off the guy wanting to use it after you

Don't put weights back and clean up after yourself after you are finished

If you are able to preform your deadlift in the way the list suggests, you are bound to achieve the back ache and joint and muscle pain you so desire. And if you are lucky, that guy you left waiting to use the weight after you, may be juiced up enough to hit roid rage when he sees you have not cleared up after yourself and will give you a black eye as an added bonus. :ahee::biggrin:

Latest