The Student Room Group

Drama School/University Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, i'm new to this but ahh I've got an audition at RADA next weeek! so so NERVOUS!! :O
I've been watching these videos on youtube for some advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4-NQaOeYo

does anyone rate her as an actress or teacher?? I've been doing the exercises for weeks now in preperations for the auditions.. I looked her up on google but I can't find any info on her...she said she is successful?? HELP. I can't afford formal training ...

LondonGirl24
Reply 481
^^ I hope you are not being serious about your RADA audition, the fact you are taking that youtube video serious is highly alarming.

If it's a troll, bravo
Original post by KaramelRose
Hey all!

Just thought I'd pop by and say that I'm currently in my 2nd year at Warwick doing Theatre & Perf Studies and if anyone with an interview/offer wants to know more about the course/uni then feel free to give me a shout! You can either PM me or Quote me and I'll get back to you :smile:

And...

I'm with you on Forced Entertainment... I went to a post-show Etchells talk after Thrill of it All too and thought he was just spouting nonsense. Mostly A Level students in the audience who didn't seem to understand Forced Entertainments work anyway so made the Q&A even more frustrating. I'm not a FE fan anyway. You sound like you know your stuff anyway, I'm impressed! What other theatre work are you into?

Was that the post-show at Warwick by any chance? We were at the same one :P The disgusting thing about it was that half of the 'A Level students in the audience who didn't seem to understand Forced Entertainments work' were actually uni students, I think. The only A level students there were the group from Birmingham to the right hand side.

As far as work I'm into... I think Blast Theory have made some really interesting stuff, but that was mostly in the nineties - Kidnap was incredible, and it turns out that my interviewer at Salford was part of it, which was pretty cool. They also did a pretty sweet bike piece at Falmouth a week after my interview there, my friend Mike said that was sweet.

Belt Up are a brilliant company, their stuff is really immersive, the incredibly moving. They manage to get exactly the audience response they want 80% of the time, they can make most of the audience cry - to give you an indication, I don't cry, but they almost got me to tears with their Death of Lorca show.

I'm a huge fan of comedy too - Late Night Gimp Fight and Delete The Banjax are both awesome groups, both sketch groups with different ways to go about it. There was some good impro groups up in Edinburgh last year too, went to see them a couple of times.

Kneehigh have always impressed me, they seem to be fairly constant - the only thing I didn't like about Umbrellas of Cherbourg was the fact that they sang through the entire performance, but not in a proper musical way. I wrote about UoC for my Falmouth place (we had to write a review).

Two smaller companies that I saw by chance at the Curve in Leicester - Hugh Hughes, and Reckless Sleepers. Hugh Hughes is a performer who really stuck out in my mind (I'm gonna put it in spoilers, cause I don't wanna ruin the magic):

Spoiler

Also, his structure was incredible - before the show he'd written on the back of three tickets (before those audience members had got them) the letters T E & A. He then told us he had planned to make everyone in the audience a cup of tea, but it would've taken too long, so he was just going to give it to the person with T on their ticket. I'd noticed it beforehand on my brother's ticket, and he hadnt, so I said yes it was mine. He then did it to the other two later in the show. The show was a brilliant melding of two stories, and the set was incredible.

Reckless Sleepers did three shows in Leicester, and I was impressed by the structure of one, and the post-show of the other. With the post-show one, we went into the space to start with, and we (I think maybe just me...) saw a pink shoe in the foyer - one of the two performers was wearing only one shoe. Mole (the artistic director) then went on to explain that they'd had to run from Leicester train station, then they carried on with the show. The brilliant thing was that as we left the audience, there was a tv screen outside with a video of them running from Leicester train station to the Curve. It was really nice to see something that we, as an audience, had dismissed as him pretending to be local, come about after the show.

TL,DR Words.
Original post by Zayne101
^^ I hope you are not being serious about your RADA audition, the fact you are taking that youtube video serious is highly alarming.

If it's a troll, bravo

Someone commented on the youtube page saying :
this is ****... successful?? this bitch is mental,? what the **** has? she even been in!

It's clear that it's a joke, I love it :tongue:
Original post by cmbrown
Hi all,

would very much appreciate some help! first things first im 19 and a girl, im at alra on a foundation course and im applying to ba acting courses at drama schools. eight to be precise!! anway, ive been doing my research and two things that have stuck out, contrasting pieces and a simple but good song!!

so question number one, anyone know of any fresh contemporary monologues (age range of 16 to late 20's) i dont want rape, murder, physco's. something, humorious, but not over the top, vunerable, excting, a bit different!!

next, im a low alto/contralto singer, my voice style is very amy winehouse, norah jones, ella fitzgerald, jazzy, bluesy. i'd love a good song bit of energy not to over the top as im doing acting not musical theatre.

any ideas would be much appreciated and i'll try and help anyone who needs help too!!!

thanks xxxxxxxxxxx

Look at some Oliver Lansley plays
Anyone heard anything from RSAMD who is/was on the waiting list? x
Original post by Jez_the_cheetah
So i applied to RWCMD, RSAMD, RADA & Guildhall.

Offers from:
RWCMD - ACC
RSAMD - Unconditional - Accepted! :biggrin:
RADA - Interview
Guildhall - Interview

:biggrin::biggrin:

Hey I'm going there for the BMus!!! Good to see someone else going I haven't found anyone yet!! :smile:
Auditioned for ALRA and Oxford School of Drama over the last week. Got through to the last 10 on both auditions and waiting on a recall for both. Was just wondering do they still ring you back even if you are unsuccessful for a recall? Any advice would be a great help! :biggrin: Thanks! :smile:
Reply 488
Original post by RachelB
got an offer today for TTSM at RADA so so so happy - anyone else heard? xxxxxxxxxxx

CONGRATULATIONS!! :smile:

Original post by Virna
WOW amazing! When did you have the interview?? I had my interview ages ago but only got a letter saying I'd have to wait for all interviews to be done. :confused:

Snap! Im still waiting on them.... :/
Reply 489
Original post by Rich!!
CONGRATULATIONS!! :smile:

thankyou! :smile:
Anyone heard back from GSA yet about Production Diploma?
Reply 491
Original post by EclipseHorse
Anyone heard back from GSA yet about Production Diploma?

A friend of mine got an offer from them back in January.
Reply 492
Original post by Learn Me Good

Oh cool, and same haha! is yours the 28th? :smile:

ahh no :frown: mine is the 29th, do you know how many people they recall by any chance?
Reply 493
I got an offer from Bristol today! I'm very happy and relieved. I wasn't too impressed with the facilities either, but the course still interests me a lot :smile: thanks for all the advice! x
Original post by anna_f
ahh no :frown: mine is the 29th, do you know how many people they recall by any chance?

Not all that many, i think like 1 in 5.
And then maybe 1 in 5 of the people recalled will get a place on the acting course.
Reply 495

Not all that many, i think like 1 in 5.
And then maybe 1 in 5 of the people recalled will get a place on the acting course.

O wow, that has made me rather nervous!!!! haha. when did you audtition first time round?
Reply 496
Got an offer from Guildhall today :smile:
Oh Em Gee!!! I heard today! I GOT RADA yayayay :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

to those doubters on the forum, I really do believe that the youtube videos from Susan really helped! I recommend anyone worried about their auditions to take a look particularly at this one on Shakespeare (although its relevant for all drama!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9cPhsg7gU&feature=related

and also her one on Physical Versatility turned out to be exactly what I needed for the auditions at RADA., in fact look at them all. thats my advice!!:tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4-NQaOeYo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qByC_IUMT0&feature=related

anyway cant wait to go now! ahhh :biggrin:
Original post by anna_f
O wow, that has made me rather nervous!!!! haha. when did you audtition first time round?

Yup, like that everywhere though. I was there on the 18th of January, their first audition day. Loved it there! :smile:
I received an unconditional offer from Central yesterday! :biggrin:

Well done guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending