The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A level Az
Are you not worried about paying x3 tuition fees? Or do you think a degree from Cambridge is worth the extra money, work and wait (provided that you get in of course)? :smile:

Yeah, obviously it'll be difficult to get the money together - and there's no guarantee that I would get a better job or anything, but it's my favorite university and I love the course and the city so I think it'a worth it in that respect. I don't mind the debt that much either, as long as I'm not unhappy when I leave - I'll just have to furnish my house with stuff from QD for a bit, haha :smile: I would be paying increased tuition fees wherever I go, so I might as well try to get into my first choice again :smile:
Original post by lenalouiseh
Yeah, obviously it'll be difficult to get the money together - and there's no guarantee that I would get a better job or anything, but it's my favorite university and I love the course and the city so I think it'a worth it in that respect. I don't mind the debt that much either, as long as I'm not unhappy when I leave - I'll just have to furnish my house with stuff from QD for a bit, haha :smile: I would be paying increased tuition fees wherever I go, so I might as well try to get into my first choice again :smile:

Okay, fair enough that you would apply next year, but what's wrong with the offers that you are currently holding? Do you dislike the courses (or the uni itself) at all your other choices, or is it just the simple fact that it isn't Cambridge which spurs you to turn down their offers and reapply?

Sorry I don't mean to be intrusive :biggrin: I'm just curious as to why students are considering reapplying (or dropping out to apply if they hadn't previously) to Oxbridge, or other universities, even with the new fees coming. Three times as much money per year seems like a hell of a lot to me, and makes me think I'll be in debt or bankruptcy for the rest of my life if I don't get into a university this year. I just fail to see how this system is "better" or "fairer", as the goverment claims. Just wish I had the freedom to take a gap year and take a break and reapply with more consideration of my choices :s-smilie:
Original post by A level Az
Okay, fair enough that you would apply next year, but what's wrong with the offers that you are currently holding? Do you dislike the courses (or the uni itself) at all your other choices, or is it just the simple fact that it isn't Cambridge which spurs you to turn down their offers and reapply?

Sorry I don't mean to be intrusive :biggrin: I'm just curious as to why students are considering reapplying (or dropping out to apply if they hadn't previously) to Oxbridge, or other universities, even with the new fees coming. Three times as much money per year seems like a hell of a lot to me, and makes me think I'll be in debt or bankruptcy for the rest of my life if I don't get into a university this year. I just fail to see how this system is "better" or "fairer", as the goverment claims. Just wish I had the freedom to take a gap year and take a break and reapply with more consideration of my choices :s-smilie:

There's nothing wrong with the offers that I've got, in fact, I'm sure much of the teaching of my courses in my other universities is equally good. I actually think I prefer the course at Warwick to the one at Cambridge, but I'm really not that keen on Coventry and the university campus in general at Warwick. At Cambridge I'd have a good course and a city which I love, it's not too far from where I live at the moment so I wouldn't have too much trouble getting home, and it's close to London as well. Lots of people have said I'm only applying because of the reputation, but, although that's great, I'm more interested in the city and the scope of the course.
I know it's a lot of money, I definitely don't think the government should have raised the fees so much, I know loads of people who have decided not to apply because of the debt. I guess I just thought that if I was going to spend a lot of money on a degree anyway I might as well go for the university I have wanted to apply to for years :smile:
Original post by lenalouiseh
There's nothing wrong with the offers that I've got, in fact, I'm sure much of the teaching of my courses in my other universities is equally good. I actually think I prefer the course at Warwick to the one at Cambridge, but I'm really not that keen on Coventry and the university campus in general at Warwick. At Cambridge I'd have a good course and a city which I love, it's not too far from where I live at the moment so I wouldn't have too much trouble getting home, and it's close to London as well. Lots of people have said I'm only applying because of the reputation, but, although that's great, I'm more interested in the city and the scope of the course.
I know it's a lot of money, I definitely don't think the government should have raised the fees so much, I know loads of people who have decided not to apply because of the debt. I guess I just thought that if I was going to spend a lot of money on a degree anyway I might as well go for the university I have wanted to apply to for years :smile:

Good answer :smile: and good luck with your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending