The Student Room Group

KFC is too expensive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GuyUK
What about takeaway? Not everyone eat at KFC

Then I guess you'd be paying for the brand and "quality" of the product.
LOL! KFC is cheap, if you think it's expensive then go to the fake kfc's like sam's chicken or chicken cottage :coma:
KFC is a chicken Holocaust, I would never eat there :frown:
why do KFC's chips taste sooo horrible?

I like their other stuff but seriously, they have the worst chips around, and everyone I have been to KFC with, agrees, yet they haven't changed these "types" of chips in like 10 years!

Burger King Chips are the best IMO

If I could get a zinger tower from KFC served with Burger King Chips, i would be in heaven!

Who's with me! lol

To the OP: You pay more for KFC, as it is a brand, and brands indicate that the quality of the product will meet a standard that the consumer expects, as the consumer has most likley "used" that brand before....this applies to all branding, not just KFC. if I buy a Ralp lauren polo, i'm paying extra for the piece of mind that what I am wearing, is made of high quality fabrics....If I were to buy an unbranded shirt, i'd have no idea what to expect, and would not have peace of mind that im getting "bang for my buck".

EDIT: I just realised that my first statement about chips, basically gives an example of what I said about branding....when I go to Burger King, Im willing to pay an extra 20p, as I know im going to get some great tasting chips....Burger Land across the road cannot rely on this, and thus they charge 40p less...in turn making kfc look even more expensive. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
KFC is a chicken Holocaust, I would never eat there :frown:

Original post by GuyUK

If I get a Kentucky meal twice a day, for a week, that would cost me £64.26 and it isn't the most expensive meal, I think the daddy burger meal is £5.79.

I think if you went to KFC twice a day, the pricing would be the least of your problems :p:

Yes it is more expensive than the PFC/Chicken Cottage clones, but then again it tastes so damn good it's worth it :coma:
Original post by The West Wing
You're paying for a lot of other overheads, among which:

- Better locations: more frequently in town centres
- Higher standards of hygiene, more consistent production - for example the chicken at KFC has to be a certain size and shape or it gets rejected.
- Advertising: KFC advertises on national TV, in publications, on the internet
- Research and development: believe it or not they pay people to invent and test new products
- Lawyers: to protect their trademarks and products
- Investment: they are currently trying to expand in developing countries, notably China
- Consistent pricing: linked to advertising, they want to charge the same wherever you are, which means in places where cheap chicken shops exist they will seem relatively expensive, but in places where they don't (e.g. central Cambridge) they seem like a cheap option.

and last but not least

- Price discrimination: they know they have a brand loyalty and they can charge more yet retain their core base of customers.

this is all good but price discrimination is inconsistent with consistent pricing as price discrimination (in its generalised first-degree form) implies the same provider selling at different price levels to different groups, whereas consistent pricing implies the opposite. i think what you meant for your final point was "capitalising on market power".

(on a side note, to be fair, second-degree price discrimination (where you charge different unit prices for different volumes purchased) isn't incompatible with consistent pricing, but that's a select case and not what you referred to).

oi and when are we getting some lunch.
It's awful isn't it!
Where I live, the takeaway round the corner does a large piece or chicken and a reasonable portion of chips (with cheese for me) and a drink for £1.50! Can't argue with that really!
Original post by rachelkeira
It's awful isn't it!
Where I live, the takeaway round the corner does a large piece or chicken and a reasonable portion of chips (with cheese for me) and a drink for £1.50! Can't argue with that really!

Yeah, that is good value, I guess...

However, although I don't wish to by over priced food, I also don't want my food to be that cheap....

reminds me of this offer in weatherspoons, a pint, with cod and chips (and peas) for 3.00... :s-smilie:

Didn't really fancy a cod worth 75p...
Original post by freakingout!
Yeah, that is good value, I guess...

However, although I don't wish to by over priced food, I also don't want my food to be that cheap....

reminds me of this offer in weatherspoons, a pint, with cod and chips (and peas) for 3.00... :s-smilie:

Didn't really fancy a cod worth 75p...

Tastes ok to me... chicken's real and not processed, chips are yummy and although a bit plasticy, the cheese is acceptable :smile:
Never been to Weatherspoons, other than at the airport... may have to try it if their prices are that good though!
Favourite Chicken>KFC

Tastes the same, is cheaper and they sell ribs.
Tastes ok to me... chicken's real and not processed, chips are yummy and although a bit plasticy, the cheese is acceptable :smile:
Never been to Weatherspoons, other than at the airport... may have to try it if their prices are that good though!

Go in for a meal deal at lunch time, you will absolutley love it! :wink:

I wish more girls were up for 75p cod, i'd have saved a fortune in the dating game!
i think its actually cheaper, well compared to a maccyd/burger king meal, you get so much more for your money, like you get a piece of chicken with your big daddy meal and also a side and the bigger is so much burger and tastes so much beter :sogood: finger licking good :sexface: i have yet to see one in swansea when im here for uni :cry:
Original post by freakingout!
Go in for a meal deal at lunch time, you will absolutley love it! :wink:

I wish more girls were up for 75p cod, i'd have saved a fortune in the dating game!

Ok, will do!
Hahaha! Yeah, guess there aren't many girls impressed by a £3 meal deal on a date!
Ok, will do!
Hahaha! Yeah, guess there aren't many girls impressed by a £3 meal deal on a date!

Sadly, not! :wink:

However, I will remember the option if I come across a lass that enjoys £1.50, chicken and chips! :tongue:

I could always get you a Mcdonalds happy meal for your birthday! :wink2: You know, special occasions and all that. :smug:

:tongue:
Reply 35
KFC is sooo much nicer than the cheap places and uses better quality chicken (other than their halal stores which for some reason tastes like crap and has such a stringy texture)
this one chicken place i went to gave me a a pice of chicken with a ****ing foot still on it?!
(edited 13 years ago)
I cant eat kfc any more, Rajas where I am does 2 pieces of chicken, chips and a drink for £2 and the chicken is so vastly superior I cant imaine where kfc get the crap they use from.
Original post by Elipsis

:lolwut: Did you find that or create it yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest