The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phalanges
The Dilemma was renamed Fat Friends in Germany. Lol.

We should make a thread of funny translations of film titles... For some reason I find it really funny that There Will Be Blood simply translates into Russian as 'Oil'... I guess it's funny because the title's so long in English :biggrin:
Original post by mimimimi

Original post by mimimimi
We should make a thread of funny translations of film titles... For some reason I find it really funny that There Will Be Blood simply translates into Russian as 'Oil'... I guess it's funny because the title's so long in English :biggrin:

In fairness though, There Will Be Blood is based on a book called Oil, so it's not as big a leap as just insulting the stars. :p:
anyone heard of or seen the LOTR unoficially extended film (search for Gollum or Hunt for Gollum) it's not made by Peter Jackson or anyone related to him or a big studio but it's not that bad, it's all on Youtube btw

But yeah, give it a look if you're a fan
In fairness though, There Will Be Blood is based on a book called Oil, so it's not as big a leap as just insulting the stars. :p:

Haha, fair enough! I didn't know that :redface: Yes, that is pretty rude I suppose...
Original post by Pi!
Hi guys! This is my first time posting in this thread.

My top 10 animated films are:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Wall-E
My Neighbour Totoro
the Toy Story trilogy
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ponyo
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Is It Fall Yet?

You need definitely watch Ratatouille
The Dilemma was renamed Fat Friends in Germany. Lol.

Just as good as 'Made in Dagenham' being renamed 'We Want Sex'
Original post by cambo211

Haha, really?
Haha, really?

Wikipedia
Made in Dagenham (or We Want Sex Germany and Italy or We Want Sex Equality in France) is a 2010 British film directed by Nigel Cole. The film stars Sally Hawkins, Miranda Richardson, Rosamund Pike and Jaime Winstone. It dramatises the Ford sewing machinists strike of 1968 that aimed for equal pay for women. The film's theme song, with lyrics by Billy Bragg, is performed by Sandie Shaw, herself a former Dagenham Ford clerk.

:ditto:

I love some film names in other countries. I know these aren't funny just stupid (all French):

A Bug's Life = 1001 Bugs
The Incredibles = The Indestructibles
Jaws = The Teeth of the Sea

Just...WHY?!

The most annoying I think is when they rename films for Americans like "The Golden Compass" and "Pirate Radio" for Northern Lights and The Boat That Rocked, or the obvious "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for the obvious...are the American's THAT stupid?

:ditto:

In fairness, it probably boosted audience figures in Italy quite a bit. :biggrin: Also, it's weird that someone who has only ever made one post in film could find my question to you bad enough to neg...

Had a quick look around for some other name changes:

Grease ---> Vaseline (Argentina)
The Full Monty ---> 6 Naked Pigs (China)
American Pie ---> American Virgin Man (Hong Kong)
Knocked Up ---> Slightly Pregnant (Peru)
Boogie Nights ---> His Great Device Makes Him Famous (China)
Eternal Sunshine Of the Spotless Mind ---> If You Leave Me, I Delete You (Italy)
Being John Malkovich ---> The Hole of Malkovich (Japan)
Lost in Translation ---> Lost in Tokyo (Israel) Irony....
Leaving Las Vegas ---> I'm Drunk and You're a Prostitute (Japan)

And perhaps my favourite:

K9 ---> My Partner With the Cold Snout (Germany)
Just seen the Limitless advert on TV, sounds pretty awesome :ahee:

What films are currently out that I should go watch by the way? Cinema or DVD? My mum is currently hogging the lovefilm with her rubbishy films though :|
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I love some film names in other countries. I know these aren't funny just stupid (all French):

A Bug's Life = 1001 Bugs
The Incredibles = The Indestructibles
Jaws = The Teeth of the Sea

Just...WHY?!

The most annoying I think is when they rename films for Americans like "The Golden Compass" and "Pirate Radio" for Northern Lights and The Boat That Rocked, or the obvious "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for the obvious...are the American's THAT stupid?

1001 bugs and teeth of the sea lolololol so odd...

I wonder what Inception was called around the world 'Mind experimentation' 'Brain, mind, dreams' 'Dreaming awake'
Reply 9672
In Spanish, Inception is called El Origen (I think), which means the beginning.

In France, Step Up is called Sexy Dance. :P
Reply 9673
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Welcome to the society and chat thread. :h: You better be here often! :whip:

Nice selection of Animated films, have you seen Howl's Moving Castle? :holmes:

Of course. I really want to see Grave of the Fireflies, even though I've heard that it's really depressing.
On a fairly random note

anyone watch Entourage *I see you do Ape

Arrested Development - Which I know is finished, but it's still funny and great to watch
Modern Family
and Or
V

Love all. those. shows
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pi!
In Spanish, Inception is called El Origen (I think), which means the beginning.

In France, Step Up is called Sexy Dance. :P

Sexy dance xD foreign film names... this may inspire a thread I may make in the immediate future - could be quite funny
Original post by lukejoshjedi

On a fairly random note

Arrested Development - Which I know is finished, but it's still funny and great to watch
Modern Family
and Or
V

Love all. those. shows

Unknownking got me hooked on Entourage. I love it so much.

I've been told I should check out the show Community, but I don't know much about it. Anybody here watched it?
On a fairly random note

Modern Family
and Or
V

Love all. those. shows

:yep: Modern Family is awesome! It's odd but, including me, everyone I know who watches Modern Family thought it was rubbish the first time they watched it! :tongue: It's definitely a show you have to watch a couple of episodes before you fully understand what it's all about.

That little kid who drinks espresso's all the time is hilarious.

Just waiting for a new episode but there hasn't been one for a weeks, has the season finished?
Unknownking got me hooked on Entourage. I love it so much.

I've been told I should check out the show Community, but I don't know much about it. Anybody here watched it?

Community is actually hilarious. Joel Mchale isn't that bad of an actor surprisingly... Yes, I watch a lot of TV

but yeah it's pretty good writing in general, very witty with a lot of outside references to popular culture, films and TV, breaking the third wall, it's almost like watching Family guy

Latest