The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ash1ir
I was looking at the pictures for NHC on the accommodation website and tbh, they look huge! 3-4 times the size of what some of my friends are in. Are all the rooms like that?

The link http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/northhillcourt/gallery.html

There are four rooms in a flat -

Room 1 is HUGE. Seriously. They get a balcony too!
Room 2 is pretty much the same size as 1, maybe a tad smaller.
Room 3 is still also huge but not as big as the others.
Room 4 is 'standard' :p: It's still pretty big compared to other accomodation.

Guess which room I'm in?.. 4 :frown: haha
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Anyone going for Storm Jameson ?
Reply 62
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
I really love James Baillie too, do you no about or anyone told you much about it! I agree about Leeds as a city it seems great!

No, I haven't been told anything, it's just from the website I've made that decision. It may be wrong, but I like the sound of it! :smile:
Does anyone know what the food is like in the refectory?
Original post by elstevens
No, I haven't been told anything, it's just from the website I've made that decision. It may be wrong, but I like the sound of it! :smile:

Yeah I really love the look at it, at least on the open day you can have a look I hope I really like it :smile::smile: are you going on the 26th?
Reply 65
Yeah I really love the look at it, at least on the open day you can have a look I hope I really like it :smile::smile: are you going on the 26th?

No, unfortunately not. I wanted to but I'm on holiday, so I think I really will just be basing it on the website which is annoying, but I guess that just adds to the mystery :smile:. Do you think you'll be firming Leeds?
Original post by butterflyeffect1
Does anyone know what the food is like in the refectory?

Can't remember where I read it on this forum but somebody said that the food isn't great and you can't use your food card thingy at lunch even though the refectory is open. Every student I spoke to on the open day said to go self catered as you'll need the practice for 2nd/3rd year, might not like the food at refectory and often because of your crazy student lifestyle you probably won't want to eat at the set times in which case it's a waste of your money!

Is Devonshire hall actually full of Rahs or is this lies and propaganda?
What'a Montague Burton/Sentinel Towers/The Tannery like? No-ones really mentioned them? They're not my choices-I'm just looking at all the accommodation at the moment cause I can't get the time off work to go to the viewing day so wanna know about alllllllll of them >.<
Reply 67
Hey, any information about Leodis or Lupton? Cheers :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by meggandbeans
Can't remember where I read it on this forum but somebody said that the food isn't great and you can't use your food card thingy at lunch even though the refectory is open. Every student I spoke to on the open day said to go self catered as you'll need the practice for 2nd/3rd year, might not like the food at refectory and often because of your crazy student lifestyle you probably won't want to eat at the set times in which case it's a waste of your money!

What'a Montague Burton/Sentinel Towers/The Tannery like? No-ones really mentioned them? They're not my choices-I'm just looking at all the accommodation at the moment cause I can't get the time off work to go to the viewing day so wanna know about alllllllll of them >.<

Definitely go self catered, especially as a student your meal times won't always be regular therefore you won't be insanely restricted as to when you can eat like you would be catered! Plus its sociable and good life skill cooking for yourself!
Not sure about the refec but I think more of the on campus cafes etc are accepting food cards now too. Might wanna check on this one as I'm self catered but pretty sure I've seen some signs in some saying 'now accepting' etc :smile:

Dev does have a reputation for it but doesn't mean it will necessarily be bad. However, I know at least 5 people who wanted Dev but didn't get it and have ended up in Bod instead, so be warned if its a really popular one you might end up somewhere you totally don't want :smile:
I'm one of the few applying for North Hill Court :h:
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm in North Hill Court atm if anyone wants any info/pictures then I'm here to help! :smile:

I may have some more questions that came to mind after I PMed you before :colondollar: Thought I'd post them in the thread for everyone's benefit.

Do the NHC flats have:
-individual mirrors in each room?
-a bath or a shower in the bathroom?
-a pinboard in each room?
-are ironing boards, vacuum cleaners etc provided?
-can you leave your stuff there over holidays?
-how do you hang calendars up - are there nails in the wall? or do you do a detachable hook thing?

Sorry for the influx of questions, you've been such a great help :redface: :redface: :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bella Occhi
I may have some more questions that came to mind after I PMed you before :colondollar: Thought I'd post them in the thread for everyone's benefit.

Do the NHC flats have:
-individual mirrors in each room?
-a bath or a shower in the bathroom?
-a pinboard in each room?
-are ironing boards, vacuum cleaners etc provided?
-can you leave your stuff there over holidays?
-how do you hang calendars up - are there nails in the wall? or do you do a detachable hook thing?

Sorry for the influx of questions, you've been such a great help :redface: :redface: :redface:

No worries :biggrin:

- no mirrors in the rooms: just in the bathroom unfortunately! got mine for a fiver from wilkinsons tho! :smile:
- shower in the bathroom
- big noticeboard in each room
- ironing board, iron, vacuum cleaner, mop, mopbucket, brush, dustpan and brush provided!
- yes you leave your stuff here over holidays :smile:
- i've got mine hung up on my pin board.. but i have a clock on the wall with a nail! on my first day my mum asked the site manager was this okay and he said yeah! don't quote me on this though, better off asking when you get there :smile:

feel free to ask anything else you wanna know!
i'm a bored student not wanting to write essays haha :p:
Original post by meggandbeans

The accomodation booklet says that Sentinel towers is popular with "international students, postgrads and those wanting a quieter lifestyle" so if you want the full uni experience it probally isnt the best hall. But if your not a party goer then it might be a better option.
Seen on a couple of threads that Bodington Hall should be avoided; any reason for this opinion? I think it looks lovely; loads of open fields etc., and it's got the most students, so in theory should have a good student atmosphere. Apart from the distance, why does everyone say to avoid it?
No, unfortunately not. I wanted to but I'm on holiday, so I think I really will just be basing it on the website which is annoying, but I guess that just adds to the mystery :smile:. Do you think you'll be firming Leeds?

Ah, i think im going to go and visit my Top 3 and then see which ones i like the best which i hope is James Baillie! Yeah i think the website giev you a good idea i just want to see how far away it actually is from the uni/city centre! :smile:
Yeah im definietly firming it :biggrin: Are you?
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
why does everyone say to avoid it?

Not everyone says that - only people who haven't lived there! (seriously, look back at the threads and the people who say don't go to Bod are the ones who don't live there - nearly everyone who has lived at Bodington loved it!)
Original post by accomoffice
Not everyone says that - only people who haven't lived there! (seriously, look back at the threads and the people who say don't go to Bod are the ones who don't live there - nearly everyone who has lived at Bodington loved it!)

That's good to hear! It looks kind of similar to Sheffield's Endcliffe in that it looks like a student village, so I see no reason to not like it!
Reply 77
Ah, i think im going to go and visit my Top 3 and then see which ones i like the best which i hope is James Baillie! Yeah i think the website giev you a good idea i just want to see how far away it actually is from the uni/city centre! :smile:
Yeah im definietly firming it :biggrin: Are you?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Warwick, but I'm leaning towards Leeds at the moment anyway, so yes, it's a massive possibility :smile:. Yes, I hope you like James Baillie, because I like James Baillie, and if you like it that hopefully means it was good :smile:. Talking about this makes me so excited for September!
I'm still waiting to hear back from Warwick, but I'm leaning towards Leeds at the moment anyway, so yes, it's a massive possibility :smile:. Yes, I hope you like James Baillie, because I like James Baillie, and if you like it that hopefully means it was good :smile:. Talking about this makes me so excited for September!

Oh, really Warwick is such a good university though! But i think Leeds would be better for the social side but it just depends whether or not that's something that you want! Yeah, i cant wait i'll let you know what i think when i've been, is it hard to get to? Im going by myself and i can see myself getting lost haha! Omg i know i really can't wait! If you go to leeds and choose James Baillie we'll most like see eachother around haha!
Reply 79
Oh, really Warwick is such a good university though! But i think Leeds would be better for the social side but it just depends whether or not that's something that you want! Yeah, i cant wait i'll let you know what i think when i've been, is it hard to get to? Im going by myself and i can see myself getting lost haha! Omg i know i really can't wait! If you go to leeds and choose James Baillie we'll most like see eachother around haha!

I loved Warwick when I went, and I think I could have a really good time there, but there's something about Leeds. I like the idea of being in a city, and having all the possibilities of things to do. Also, I'm a re-applicant, and I firmed Leeds last year, so chances still stand that I'll do it again. I think I'll have to wait and see though. It may be a rejection from Warwick and then my mind will be made up for me anyway :smile:.

How are you getting there? By train? There must be some sort of bus service in place. When I went up for my interview I got a plane, and then a taxi. It seemed pretty simple, I guess... I really don't know! Hopefully you don't get lost :smile:.

Latest