The Student Room Group

Midsomer Murders embroiled in race row

Poll

Your view?

It's no secret that you don’t see many black or Asian faces on Midsomer Murders.
But a row has blown up after the co-creator of the series revealed the reason why - he deliberately keeps ethnic minority characters out of storylines.

Brian True-May, the ITV drama’s executive producer, found himself suspended after he said he did not use black or Asian people in the series because 'it wouldn’t be an English village with them'.

He described Midsomer Murders as the 'last bastion of Englishness' which relied on an 'English genteel eccentricity', claiming it 'wouldn’t work' if it suggested there was racial diversity in village life.

Other long running serials, including BBC Radio 4's The Archers, have been criticised over 'tokenism' when they have included ethnic characters.
Mr True-May told the Radio Times if he had more minority cast members 'we might be in Slough'.

Amid mounting fury from charities and campaigners, the production company behind the show All3Media suspended the TV executive. ITV said it was 'shocked and appalled' at his remarks.

Midsomer Murders, based on the books by Caroline Graham, was launched in 1997 and has featured 251 deaths, 222 of which were murders.

The series returns this week with a new star replacing actor John Nettles who played the central character, DCI Tom Barnaby.

Mr True-May said: 'When I talk to people and other nations they love John Nettles, but they also love the premise of the show.

'They love the perceived English genteel eccentricity. It’s not British, it's very English.

'We are a cosmopolitan society in this country, but if you watch Midsomer you wouldn’t think so. I’ve never been picked up on that, but quite honestly I wouldn’t want to change it.'

He said: 'I don't think we would all suddenly go, "A black gardener in Midsomer? You can't have that!" 'I think we'd all go, 'Great, fantastic".'

Fans of the show have also been coming out in support of True-May on forums across the internet.

On website digitalspy's chat room, one user called cloudfactory said it was 'ridiculous' he was suspended for 'saying something perfectly reasonable'.

Another called BlizzardUK said: 'I live in a village and have never seen any other colour than white here, and I believe that to be the same in the majority of villages. Surely if a show is based in a village in England then it should represent a typical English village?'

Mickmars said: 'The "hysterical take everything in the wrong context" brigade strike again. The guy has obviously been doing something right for all these years,the rating prove that!'

And ExPat added: 'Why should someone be sacked for deciding what roles are to be portrayed in his series? If he wanted only ethnic actors, would you be just as offended'

But kittycat30 said: 'The attitude that only englishness is white and so villages should be all white is racist IMO. No way is every village all white.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1366331/ITV-chief-Brian-True-May-suspended-keeping-ethnic-minorities-Midsomer-murders.html

Racist, or PC gone mad?

You decide.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was a bit of an off hand remark, but they've blown it a bit out of proportion! good old daily mail.
Reply 2

This is a PC gone mad!

Seems a bit over the top though.
Reply 3
Possible idea for an episode: A yardie travels up from london and floods Midsomer with high strength skunk, 2 dead. DCI Tom Barnaby faces his biggest challenge to date.
I once went to a very unknown coastal village and there was only one asian man in his shop there. He told me I was the first asian he'd seen there in TWO YEARS!

I remember reading the guy said Causton is meant to be in Slough and you wouldn't be able to see a white face there..
There's nothing wrong with what he said. It's just the way he said it.
Then again I don't think you can really argue that Midsomer represents a typical English village. It must have a higher murder rate than Detroit.
Whatever he said, he shouldn't have been suspended for it. He wasn't racially abusing anyone. He was just telling the truth. Unfortunately we have this stupid culture of political correctness where everyone has to follow the same political line, speak the same newspeak, or else become universally vilified and thrown to the margins of society.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
He said nothing wrong.
Reply 8
That's what small typical english villages are like. It's not racist as such but he's a bit of a tit for saying it! Probably should have kept it to himself!
I can't think of anything more mind-numbingly boring that 'English culture' tbh - I for one hope that this spells death for Midsomer Murders, not because I'm outraged, but because I don't like **** TV.
Well guess it would be rare for an ethnic minority to live in a small, remote English village.
Original post by ajmac
That's what small typical english villages are like. It's not racist as such but he's a bit of a tit for saying it! Probably should have kept it to himself!

This. How is that even racist man ****ing stupid tbh.
Reply 12
Nothing matters now that John nettles has gone :frown:
They shouldn't try and shoehorn an ethnic minority in for PC's sake- plus killing them off (which is more than likely in Midsomer) might just spark more problems... :holmes:
Reply 14
Last option. but I don't really like ed miliband, sorry :biggrin:
What happened to David Miliband? :moon:
The people leading the 'investigation' seem to think non-whites, like myself, will find the programme racist and won't watch it. WHAT ARE THEY ON?! It's ridiculous. His remarks were said in perhaps the wrong way, but what he said is true; rural England is white and the programme reflects that so what's the problem? :curious:

If people get offended by showing the reality of rural England then they should go watch something else.
The poor guy got the sack for reflecting the reality of rural english life.

It's a very insidious way to suppress the expression and representation of a culture, so that more and more people can say "what is englishness anyway" as if it's nothing important just because it's so hard to define.
Basically if you are white now you cant say anything against diversity and multiculturalism or else you get branded a racist and sacked. This is one of the reasons I like far right parties because they are against stuff like this. You just know if this was a non white programme and all characters were non white they wouldnt be criticized.
Reply 18
Original post by Barden
I can't think of anything more mind-numbingly boring that 'English culture' tbh.

Welsh culture?
Reply 19
Original post by Fusion
Possible idea for an episode: A yardie travels up from london and floods Midsomer with high strength skunk, 2 dead. DCI Tom Barnaby faces his biggest challenge to date.

LOL LOL LOL
Ah man that was good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending