The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by siu0129
That's very true...if SOAS rejects me..i will go straight to Manchester : P
I also applied for Birmingham...but I think I will either put SOAS or Manchester as my first choice. Predict grades....Birmingham ABB, Cardiff BB, Manchester and Leeds AB...how about you? If you could get into Edinburgh so you probably won't see me next year : D

Yeah but edinburgh is ridiculously competitive for business subjects soi don't have high hopes. Are you English by the way? I'm not you see, I'm from Ireland. We don't do a levels so I can't really compare the systems but we do way more subjects, like I do 8, and I'm basically predicted to get all A1's which is like an A* ... But our subjects dont go into as much detail as a levels though.
Reply 501
Original post by Ruadhan
Yeah but edinburgh is ridiculously competitive for business subjects soi don't have high hopes. Are you English by the way? I'm not you see, I'm from Ireland. We don't do a levels so I can't really compare the systems but we do way more subjects, like I do 8, and I'm basically predicted to get all A1's which is like an A* ... But our subjects dont go into as much detail as a levels though.

I study in uk but I'm actually from Hong Kong. Didn't know that the systems are different! Anyway, Edinburgh offers A* even for combined honors? I can see how competitive it is...
Reply 502
just got rejected there for edinburgh business and japanese. really gutted, was my first choice. its such a nice place and i really wanted to go there
Reply 503
Original post by Ruadhan
just got rejected there for edinburgh business and japanese. really gutted, was my first choice. its such a nice place and i really wanted to go there

sorry to hear that, don't have high hopes for my japanese application there either, even that's only 1/15 who get a place!
Where else have you got offers from?
Reply 504
Just Manchester at the moment. Still waiting on Soas and Ucl ( thats for statistics economics and a language with which you can do Japanese).
Reply 505
Original post by Ruadhan

I feel sorry for you...:frown: maybe ? might see you in Manchester : p ...but many of us are still waiting for SOAS..
Reply 506
Original post by siu0129
I feel sorry for you...:frown: maybe ? might see you in Manchester : p ...but many of us are still waiting for SOAS..

I'm probably going to Manchester too! :redface: I'm waiting for SOAS and Edinburgh but I don't really have high hopes... :s-smilie: Honestly, after looking at the course and the uni more extensively, I actually feel quite happy about going to Manchester! :3

Anyone going to Open House at the University of Manchester on the 27th?
Reply 507
Hello, Japanese language/studies thread. I'm planning on studying Spanish with Japanese so I'm making a list of all the universities that do Spanish and Japanese and so far, I've got:

University of Manchester
University of Leeds
Oxford Brookes
Cardiff
Sheffield
UEA

Are there any more?
Original post by Pi!
Hello, Japanese language/studies thread. I'm planning on studying Spanish with Japanese so I'm making a list of all the universities that do Spanish and Japanese and so far, I've got:

University of Manchester
University of Leeds
Oxford Brookes
Cardiff
Sheffield
UEA

Are there any more?

Here's my current list..
Leeds,Cardiff,Birmingham (3 languages pathway so you can take more than two),East Anglia (Spanish and Japanese and Translation + Interpreting),Manchester aand I think Nottingham also. So pretty much. D:
Reply 509
Just got an Edinburgh offer :biggrin:
Although its AAA which came as a surprise, anyone else heard?
Reply 510
Quite late, but is anyone going to the Sheffield Open day tomorrow? Not looking forward to waking up at 0440 AM..................

And they've got my name wrong, which gives me a girl name. I hope if there's a register that the name is right otherwise I'll be rather embaressed :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 511
I really can't believe what's happening in Japan and I'm praying that the situation won't get any worse...
On another note... Yay! Finally got a chance to go to a sort of an Open Day! Going to the Visit Day for the Language Department at Manchester Uni on the 1st of April!
Still haven't heard from SOAS or Edinburgh though. I'm really tempted just to firm Manchester as I don't really have high hopes of getting offers for SOAS or Edinburgh really...:/
Reply 512
Original post by Susant
Quite late, but is anyone going to the Sheffield Open day tomorrow? Not looking forward to waking up at 0440 AM..................

And they've got my name wrong, which gives me a girl name. I hope if there's a register that the name is right otherwise I'll be rather embaressed :colondollar:

Didn't even get invited to one. :rolleyes:

Guess once you firm it, they don't bother.
How academic is the Sheffield Japanese singular course? (especially the modules other than learning Japanese language?)
Reply 514
Hohoho, that open day was somewhat mixed. Hugo Dobson's intro was very good, but it started to go a bit awry at points during the Japanese studies talk. A lot of the focus on the year abroad, which sounds awesome. The money looks worse than I thought it would be, but nothing unmanageable. It was quite informative and I learnt some key bits of info which pushes me towards doing the course.

But there were some awkward moments such as when a mini debate broke out over Sheffield and Leeds' entry requirements, and when the 4th year made a comment which would've probably offended Chinese and Spanish people.:rolleyes:

Original post by moonlight_caster
How academic is the Sheffield Japanese singular course? (especially the modules other than learning Japanese language?)

The impression I got from the talk by the lecturer was that the modules were geared more towards modern Japan. And apparently, they are given around 3 pieces of work every week.

I have a niggling feeling that didn't answer your question :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 515
Original post by Susant
The money looks worse than I thought it would be, but nothing unmanageable.

4th year made a comment which would've probably offended Chinese and Spanish people.

Details on both please. D:
Reply 516
Original post by avila
Details on both please. D:

The parents asked quite a few questions about funding the year abroad. From what I gathered, if your going to live in Tokyo (which is where I would aim for) your student loan isn't likely to cover all your costs. One them them said that his scholarship only covered his accomadation costs with a bit left over. However, by the looks of it, getting a job isn't hard at all (all four found work) and the wages are good. One of them said some private English converstion teachers can charge up to £30 p/h :eek: Another plus side of working in a more japanese environment is your language improves loads.

But this is very region dependant by the looks of it. The one who didn't go to Tokyo found it manageable, and there was a story about a girl who went to Hiroshima and spends most of her JASSO scholarship travelling around Japan.

For second one, student says that if you go private you can have harsher requirements. His examples were "For instance, if you hate the smell of Chinese food, you can ask not to be with Chinese people" which was a bit stereotypical. But then he also said "And Spanish students are messy, so you can ask not to be with Spanish people" (paraphrasing there) and one of the parents said she found that slightly racist. :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 517
Original post by Susant
From what I gathered, if your going to live in Tokyo (which is where I would aim for) your student loan isn't likely to cover all your costs.

For second one, student says that if you go private you can have harsher requirements.

I see.

Gona be fun paying for the year abroad. I don't intend to take out a loan since I work as a freelance translator. It's got me through one round of uni, so it'll get me through a second. Guess I'll have to find other work while in Japan. Fun stuff. :s-smilie:

Tokyo sounds scary though. Awesome place, but way too crowded and all. I guess that's a personal preference though.

Going private = ? Accommodation on the year abroad? As long as there aren't too many English speakers, it shouldn't matter. :s-smilie:

-

Unrelated: Japanese oral exam on Monday for me. Anyone have tips on how to not get nervous during those? I'm not doing anything special other than going through my Anki deck day by day and practising some sentence patterns at the moment. Anyone have suggestions what else I can do?
European Business School London, if I'm not mistaken (:
Reply 519
Original post by moonlight_caster
Is anyone else slightly worried about natural disasters on the year abroad??

because of the recent earthquake/tsunami? Maybe a little, but I`m actually in Japan at the moment, fortunately in an unaffected area, so I`m not as worried as perhaps I should be.

The japanese handle the situation extremely well, and the chances of another disaster of this scale in the next few years are low. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending