The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just out of interest what are your academic achievements so far? That's a hell of a range of offers you have there... O_O
Reply 21
Original post by hellohihello
Thanks for all your replies, Im not doubting for one moment that i wouldnt love going to harvard/MIT, its just camperial is much more focused on the actual engineering discipline as opposed to harvard and MIT. At Harvard i will never really have the ability to follow a directly engineering path, and to be honest i couldn't stand the thought of ever having to write an essay on American history or something about a book which i would be doing throughout my time at Harvard. As i said it is a liberal arts college. ON the other hand its a free education at the best Uni in the world, and as you have said it would open up a world of opportunities.

One thing that i am worried about though is moving so far away, i have only ever been out of Europe once, and it really seems a daunting but the most exciting prospect ever to be able to move to Boston.

UHHH, this decision is making my head hurt......:s-smilie:

( i just realised i wrote camperial- cabridge and imperial)

I should also say i live in watford and imperial is close to home so to me that is a major advantage to me. Thanks Again

For the reasons you've stated, I think MIT would be the best choice. To be honest, you'd get an awesome education, (and could do whatever you wanted in the engineering world, as long as you come out with a strong degree), at any of the universities.

MIT, purely because it's #1 for engineering in the world.

If you really hate the American system then, I guess the British ones ...

If you're poor (or want a cheaper education), don't mind the liberal arts thing, then Harvard, I guess :P

Seriously, the WORLD is your oyster! Maybe you should create some kind of spreadsheet and rank them in terms of prestige; graduate prospects (100%); anything that matters to you ~

I envy you, btw.
Reply 22
I'll swap you an unconditional for glasgow in exchange for harvard?
Reply 23
go to harvard. i think uk education is too specialized. sometimes we dont use most of the degree we study anyway. i wish i got more all rounded education. when it comes to applying for jobs, people will look at how prestigious your uni was. harvard will be considered more prestigious than MIT. MIT is too specialized for my liking. thats my opinion
(edited 13 years ago)
I will echo what others have said, Harvard is your best bet. Although I am incredibly jealous of your UCAS status :tongue:,

Original post by nibbler12
I'll swap you an unconditional for glasgow in exchange for harvard?

Op you should consider this offer
Reply 25
Thanks for all your replies, Im not doubting for one moment that i wouldnt love going to harvard/MIT, its just camperial is much more focused on the actual engineering discipline as opposed to harvard and MIT. At Harvard i will never really have the ability to follow a directly engineering path, and to be honest i couldn't stand the thought of ever having to write an essay on American history or something about a book which i would be doing throughout my time at Harvard. As i said it is a liberal arts college. ON the other hand its a free education at the best Uni in the world, and as you have said it would open up a world of opportunities.

One thing that i am worried about though is moving so far away, i have only ever been out of Europe once, and it really seems a daunting but the most exciting prospect ever to be able to move to Boston.

UHHH, this decision is making my head hurt......:s-smilie:

( i just realised i wrote camperial- cabridge and imperial)

I should also say i live in watford and imperial is close to home so to me that is a major advantage to me. Thanks Again

:biggrin: Camperial! You've just invented a new abbreviation! Well done! But yeah, Harvard. Seriously. Harvard. It's the all-rounder option. MIT is probably better for engineering and Camperial may be too but it's Harvard. And free. Which is by far the best thing. The only reason I'd say to not go there is if you don't want to live in America/don't like America/love Britain too much/cba to move all your stuff a couple hundred miles away etc. You say it's a liberal arts education but I think that's a small price to pay for being at Harvard. Still doubtful? Watch Social Network :tongue:
If you want to go to America, then Harvard.

I fyou want to stay in UK, then Cambridge.
It sounds to me like what you really want to do is go to Imperial, but need to justify to yourself you're not wasting a great opportunity of studying in the US. I'd say go with what you want, and head for Imperial.
If you can't work out for sure what you want - roll a dice/flip a coin to decide. If you're disappointed, you'll know you don't actually want to go there. The moment you chuck it you often realise what you really want :smile:
Hmmm...
To answer this properly, I think it would be best to consult the medium most would turn to in this situation.
Movies.

MIT - 21. Good movie (and Kevin Spacey gives anything credibility)
Harvard - The Social Network. Also, good movie (although Justin Timberlake... really?)

(Feck England, no one wants to shoot a movie here)

Based on the above, I'd have to say Harvard as the Social Network won some kind of movie-award, whereas I picked up 21 in Tesco's bargain bucket.

Hope this helps.
If I was in that position, I'd go with MIT. Or maybe Harvard. Actually, Harvard. Basically, America.
(edited 13 years ago)
Don't go to America, I can't imagine any worse place to live when your looking for an education.
Reply 31
omg these uni's you must be a lucky guy. Anyways I would say. First of all forget the UK unis because you just got the opportunity to study at a totally new place and thats probably the biggest experience you're gonna make in your "early" life. If your mind is totally set on Engineering and you cannot imagine changing your career path, I would definatly go to MIT. But if you would like to have some more free doors and still study engineering while having the chance to boost later for your career that you had the best education in the world (according to ranks, don't take it literally) than I would advise you to go to harvard.

I could imagine thart cambridge would also be awesome ! But comparing Imperial to MIT, there is a clear answer to me.
Hi all,

I would like to study engineering at University and had my mind set on Imperial for which i got an offer, however i have been fortunate to get offers from almost all my choices and am now not sure where to go, what made it worst is this morning i found out MIT had accepted me, which i was over the moon about.

Here are my choices:

UK:
Cambridge A*AA
Imperial (Mech Eng)A*AA
Bath (Rejected???)
Southampton ABB

US:
MIT (Accepted.. woooo!!)
Harvard college (accepted..)
Stanford(waiting)

Originally i only had cambridge/imperial on my mind and ive been split as to which one to go to. FIrstly i should point out i want to go to university for an education in Mech Eng/Aero Eng, and this is solely what i want to base my decision on. Based on this i have decided that if i was to stay in the UK i will be going to Imperial over cambridge unless someone can show me any reason not to.

Now i have been admitted to MIT, which i would love, but for those not familiar with the US system, i go to MIT and only pick what i want to Major in(get a degree in) in the second year, and the 4 year course is only for a Bachelors Degree as opposed to the masters at imperial or cambridge. I don't know if it is worth going there as the entire first year would be a repeat of our year 13 to some extent. Additionally my main problem is i have only been given a financial aid package of $30000 which means i will still need to be paying $24000 a year, however this includes accommodation food and tuition.

As for Harvard college i have been given a financial aid package worth about $50000, meaning i wont be paying anything at all for tuition and accommodation, however it is a liberal arts college, meaning they try to give you an all rounded education, but honestly just seems abit fluffy to me and i don't think ill be going there.

Any thoughts, preferences on what you may have done in my situation, where you would have liked to go, bearing in mind i will be doing Mechanical Engineering?

Thanks, i have realised i am one lucky guy to have been admitted to these!!!!!

James B

Harvard > Cambridge > MIT > Stanford

Seriously, the Harvard name will take you VERY far. You can't go wrong with any of these but I would personally choose Harvard. (I go to one of the above universities, if you want more thoughtful advice you can pm me if you want)
Reply 33
Imperial since you get a Masters out of it, instead of spending four years of your life doing a liberal arts course. Unless, you want to experience US student life?
Reply 34
Harvard isn't all that in the applied sciences. Academically, Imperial, Cambridge and MIT would be the best choices. Try and get the MIT package up.
And congrats on MIT! I got rejected this cycle.

Also if you have enough eligible A levels (for college credit), a US college might grant you sophomore status which means you could graduate in 3 years. Or 4 if you do a co-term masters.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by TheSownRose
Unless you have that sort of money to spare, stay in the UK - MIT isn't worth that much.

lolwt.

course it is.
Reply 36
What's the difference between Harvard College and plain old Harvard? Nothing, I presume?
Reply 37
A no brainer honestly. MIT.
WTF? Just go to Harvard, its the best university in the world + free education? It's a no brainer! I would go to Harvard for a sh*t shoveling course
Original post by SteveCrain
lolwt.

course it is.

No university is worth a debt of $96k, which is about £70,000. My house didn't cost that much.

Latest

Trending

Trending