The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Onychophagia
A random fireworks display just came off the BT tower. Win.

EDIT: just found out it was because there is 500 days until the Olympics begin. Double Win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12751404

Note the really aggressive looking girl (girl? boy?) in shot towards the end. I'm glad I wasn't holding the camera, she doesn't look too happy with being filmed.
Original post by Onychophagia
A random fireworks display just came off the BT tower. Win.

EDIT: just found out it was because there is 500 days until the Olympics begin. Double Win.

I was in regents park about 2 hours ago cycling round the inner circle the whole place turned green :tongue: the past few days it's been acting as if it's an anti-air turrent..

Spoiler

Pic related, it's the view from my room.
Original post by Jessaay!
Note the really aggressive looking girl (girl? boy?) in shot towards the end. I'm glad I wasn't holding the camera, she doesn't look too happy with being filmed.

:rofl:
Original post by Renal
Reasonably, not nearly as bad as surgery but definitely up there with CMT and GP, well above psych and path.

Ah. Do you know if it's been like that for a while or if there's been a recent(ish) increase?
Reply 1985
Original post by Kinkerz
Ah. Do you know if it's been like that for a while or if there's been a recent(ish) increase?
Not sure, I think it's been relatively stable.
Original post by Renal
Reasonably, not nearly as bad as surgery but definitely up there with CMT and GP, well above psych and path.

I thought path was quite competitive these days?
I was just discussing this on the Junior Doctors thread, but what's everyone's opinion of bright pink/orange stethoscopes? I don't personally have a problem with them, but people I've known with them get a lot of flak from patients/other doctors and one of the doctors on the BBC program was getting similar flak.
Reply 1988
Original post by Captain Crash
I thought path was quite competitive these days?
I didn't think so, not more than anything is.
Original post by Captain Crash
I was just discussing this on the Junior Doctors thread, but what's everyone's opinion of bright pink/orange stethoscopes? I don't personally have a problem with them, but people I've known with them get a lot of flak from patients/other doctors and one of the doctors on the BBC program was getting similar flak.

What do people say is the issue with them? I can't see why it'd be much of an issue, personally!
Original post by Renal
Not sure, I think it's been relatively stable.

OK, cool. Cheers.
Original post by digitalis
Random medical fact:

Did you know the reason you feel warm and get hot during the night after you are on the lash is due to:

alcohol acting as a decoupling agent in oxidative phosphorylation? So that instead of the energy created by the hydrogen gradient going into ATP production, it is dissapated as heat!

(and also surface vessel dilation)

Hey I thought it was cool :getmecoat:

You won't believe how long I spent reading about uncoupling agents, brown adipose tissue and nonshivering thermogenesis earlier so all your fact has done is make me want to cry :p:
What do people say is the issue with them? I can't see why it'd be much of an issue, personally!

Issue's probably too strong a word. In my experience the consultants and other doctors seem to treat the owners with disdain often perceiving them as slackers or not very professional. It sometimes doesn't go down too well with the patients either.
Original post by Renal

I didn't realise GP would be so competitive.

Is it a case of not getting training at all or just not in an area you might like?
I'm ****in wasted
No wonder they love me then - I look old and have a boring black stethoscope haha.
x

I can't pull off the whiteboy slacks etc :frown: have to wear standard shirt and trousers.
can we please all vote and set a date for the meet!
Reply 1997

You won't believe how long I spent reading about uncoupling agents, brown adipose tissue and nonshivering thermogenesis earlier so all your fact has done is make me want to cry :p:

Stop making me feel bad :frown:
Ugh, genetics is dull. I can't believe I'm already missing neuro.
When did/planning to you guys start revising for your end of years? I've just had my sign off with my personal mentor and she acted like I should have started already. I sort of looked at her. I think she realised then spent 5 minutes banging about how I'm going to fail. I was planning on starting at the startish of April. Exams start the last week of May/first week of June.