The Student Room Group

Anemia?

I have a really bad mint addiction, if I have mints I feel the need to eat them all straight away. Anyway I just typed mint addiction into google out of curiosity and there were a few results linking it to anemia.
Looking at the symptoms of anemia, I have quite a few of them. I don't know whether to go to the doctor to check. I don't want to waste their time by telling them I think I have anemia because of something I saw on the internet, but then I think if I do have it I should do something it about. I know I'm asking the internet again, but I was just wondering peoples opinions, if they think it's worth checking or I'm being silly. Thankyou.
Original post by Anonymous

I have a really bad mint addiction, if I have mints I feel the need to eat them all straight away. Anyway I just typed mint addiction into google out of curiosity and there were a few results linking it to anemia.
Looking at the symptoms of anemia, I have quite a few of them. I don't know whether to go to the doctor to check. I don't want to waste their time by telling them I think I have anemia because of something I saw on the internet, but then I think if I do have it I should do something it about. I know I'm asking the internet again, but I was just wondering peoples opinions, if they think it's worth checking or I'm being silly. Thankyou.

I went and just said I was feeling a bit run down and lethargic, is there a possibility thats what it could be? Tbf, thats what theyre there for!
Reply 2
Original post by raceforthefishman
I went and just said I was feeling a bit run down and lethargic, is there a possibility thats what it could be? Tbf, thats what theyre there for!

Thankyou, maybe I will go if I can build up the courage. Did you find out whether you had it if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by webbers

Original post by webbers
Thankyou, maybe I will go if I can build up the courage. Did you find out whether you had it if you don't mind me asking?

Just do it, all it is is a blood test :smile: Better to know in the long run

I've got iron levels not low enough to be anaemic but lower than they should be so I have to make sure I get enough dietry iron :colonhash:
Reply 4
Go for a test :smile: They're quite simple.
Reply 5
Original post by raceforthefishman
Just do it, all it is is a blood test :smile: Better to know in the long run

I've got iron levels not low enough to be anaemic but lower than they should be so I have to make sure I get enough dietry iron :colonhash:

Ok I will do, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 6
I had a blood test a few months back and showed my iron levels were ever so slightly low but she just thought that's how I ran at.

Got another blood test done a month later just in case and lo and behold they had dropped. I'm taking iron tablets for two months to give it a boost and then off for another blood test to see how I'm doing.

It's really as straight forward as that! Do bare in mind that there are different forms of anaemia!
Reply 7
Thanks to everyone for encouraging me to go, I found out yesterday that I do have iron deficiency anemia.
I've got some iron pills, it says not to take them with tea, does anyone know how long after taking a pill it's safe to have a cup of tea without it reducing the absorption? Also should it be ok to drink lemon and ginger tea? I don't think that contains tannin but I'm not sure.
(Sorry, I can't live without tea!)
Reply 8
Original post by webbers
Thanks to everyone for encouraging me to go, I found out yesterday that I do have iron deficiency anemia.
I've got some iron pills, it says not to take them with tea, does anyone know how long after taking a pill it's safe to have a cup of tea without it reducing the absorption? Also should it be ok to drink lemon and ginger tea? I don't think that contains tannin but I'm not sure.
(Sorry, I can't live without tea!)

Taking your iron pills with fresh orange (or anything with vitamin C) will help absorption. Waiting a few hours after taking it before you have a cup of tea will be fine. :smile:
Reply 9
You're going to have black poop...just a warning :no:
Reply 10

I have anemia,
tiredness, cold hands and feet, feeling sick frequently, out of breath quickly, low blood pressure (sometimes), pale skin and eyes,are all sign of it.

Anemia mostly importantly very commonly leads to addictions - eg tissue eating, or pencil/toothpick eating in my case.

I would say just visit a doctor - one blood test and it will all become clear.
:smile:
hope this helps!
Reply 11
Original post by Cybele
Taking your iron pills with fresh orange (or anything with vitamin C) will help absorption. Waiting a few hours after taking it before you have a cup of tea will be fine. :smile:

Thanks for the advice! :smile:

I read that in the leaflet regarding the poop, I am prepared for it....I think.

Wow, the addiction thing is strange, I also like eating ice.
I'm pretty surprised by this, when I heard you talking about mint addiction I thought you were trolling, but it seems to be a relatively common thing.
Reply 13
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
I'm pretty surprised by this, when I heard you talking about mint addiction I thought you were trolling, but it seems to be a relatively common thing.

Yeah, it's strange, I just thought I was just getting lazy until I came across it. Judging by the mint thing I must have had it for several years. If I hadn't have seen it I would probably never know unless it got to the stage of fainting.

Quick Reply

Latest