The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dobbs
Only because you're too scared of the big bad River Tyne :wink: haha

Why would I drive all the way from Bristol to London for a race I won't know anyone in? Ha! So, no, funnily enough, I'm not :tongue:

You know me-ish? :P Well I thought you were a keen "go to any race possible" guy! Ah well, atleast we have a half decent 3rd VIII to take so we may end up with a gold medal :smile: Just need to prove myself in the race so that they know I can race 4miles to a good standard.
2k tomorrow ergh....
Reply 862
Original post by partoftheweekend

2k tomorrow ergh....

What you aiming for?
Original post by Tabris
What you aiming for?

Hopefully under 6:25 although I'm going to have to just see what happens as I haven't really done much high intensity work for ages. Bit nervous lol
Reply 864

Hopefully under 6:25 although I'm going to have to just see what happens as I haven't really done much high intensity work for ages. Bit nervous lol

How'd it go?
Good luck to everyone in SHORR today! It's my first race so I'm fairly nervous haha
Original post by Tabris
How'd it go?

Hit 6:25 but not under. Neither here nor there really. Hopefully under 6.20 by summer but unlikely...
School's Head went quite well! I can't say I could've personally pulled any harder, I gave it my 100%! Unfortunately we only had 3 crews in our division, and we lost 1st place by 5 seconds :frown: Our 2nd VIII came 6th and our 1st VIII came joint 3rd and were only 8 seconds behind the winning crew :/

2K on Monday apparently...I'm aiming for sub 7:10-7!

EDIT: Definitely a 2km on Monday. Has anyone got any tips? I've not done a proper one before, but i've been working on long distance training. I now have a 1:39 average for 4 x 500m, so I think aiming for a sub 7:10 would be a good start. I've not been feeling too well, been off school for the last 2 days as I have a bit of the manflu. Hoping it clears up by Monday.

It's open rate, so what do you think I should go at? I was thinking of just settling around 24-26 but not going higher! Should I pac emyself so I have enough energy to sprint at the end? Or should I just go all out and see how long I last?
(edited 13 years ago)
Ah man, Jett photographic definitely caught me at the wrong moment

http://www.jetphotographic.com/showphoto.php?id=215992

(I'm at 3)

I remember closing my eyes for a couple of seconds to psyche myself up, would be at the moment they took a picture :p:

Other than a lot of pain we did ourselves proud today. We came 20 seconds behind our firsts in our last race and 13 seconds behind them in this race (and we had 2 subs from the novices and a new stroke and this was a longer race)... our 1st VIII need to step it up a bit.
Original post by Jessaay!
Ah man, Jett photographic definitely caught me at the wrong moment

http://www.jetphotographic.com/showphoto.php?id=215992

(I'm at 3)

I remember closing my eyes for a couple of seconds to psyche myself up, would be at the moment they took a picture :p:

Other than a lot of pain we did ourselves proud today. We came 20 seconds behind our firsts in our last race and 13 seconds behind them in this race (and we had 2 subs from the novices and a new stroke and this was a longer race)... our 1st VIII need to step it up a bit.

I know how you feel, Jett Photographic didn't exactly catch the best photographs of me either. We all look knackered half way through Schools Head :P
Original post by Dave_Beeston
I know how you feel, Jett Photographic didn't exactly catch the best photographs of me either. We all look knackered half way through Schools Head :P

rowing photography did slightly better, we're actually overtaking someone:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189611_10150120439161242_569926241_6739594_5979196_n.jpg

Despite the fact we all appear to be catching at different times, looking knackered and people looking out of the boat at least we're doing something slightly right :p:

We all looked knackered in a few of them too. Gotta love rowing faces.
(edited 13 years ago)
I watched wehorr yesterday. Gave lot of crews a good shout from Barnes. The leander crew that went off first were absolutely incredible. A league above everyone else and 35 seconds faster! Would be interesting to see them in the mens head.
I watched wehorr yesterday. Gave lot of crews a good shout from Barnes. The leander crew that went off first were absolutely incredible. A league above everyone else and 35 seconds faster! Would be interesting to see them in the mens head.

Yeah they were amazing. Practically orgasmic rowing.
Reply 873
Original post by Dave_Beeston
School's Head went quite well! I can't say I could've personally pulled any harder, I gave it my 100%! Unfortunately we only had 3 crews in our division, and we lost 1st place by 5 seconds :frown: Our 2nd VIII came 6th and our 1st VIII came joint 3rd and were only 8 seconds behind the winning crew :/

2K on Monday apparently...I'm aiming for sub 7:10-7!

EDIT: Definitely a 2km on Monday. Has anyone got any tips? I've not done a proper one before, but i've been working on long distance training. I now have a 1:39 average for 4 x 500m, so I think aiming for a sub 7:10 would be a good start. I've not been feeling too well, been off school for the last 2 days as I have a bit of the manflu. Hoping it clears up by Monday.

It's open rate, so what do you think I should go at? I was thinking of just settling around 24-26 but not going higher! Should I pac emyself so I have enough energy to sprint at the end? Or should I just go all out and see how long I last?

Rate depends on you. I'd say stick somewhere around 26-28 though, but that's me.

Standard 2k advice:

Eat well, sleep well. Prepare for it mentally, have a plan and try to stick to it.

I can tell you how much it sucks ass when you decide to fly-and-die, burn yourself out at 1500m and drop loads of time for the last 500m.
Reply 874

I heard there was a GB composite as well? Or maybe they were racing as Leander... or I just heard wrong.

Just checked to see the results and was quite pleased to see our novvie women take the academic novice pennant.
So it finally happened. The day came when I changed my facebook profile picture to a picture of me rowing.
Original post by Tabris
I heard there was a GB composite as well? Or maybe they were racing as Leander... or I just heard wrong.

Yeah the GB composite got absolutely doored by the leander crew (which is also all GBish).
Original post by Tabris
Rate depends on you. I'd say stick somewhere around 26-28 though, but that's me.

Standard 2k advice:

Eat well, sleep well. Prepare for it mentally, have a plan and try to stick to it.

I can tell you how much it sucks ass when you decide to fly-and-die, burn yourself out at 1500m and drop loads of time for the last 500m.

So disappointed in myself. It was my first proper 2k and it would appear I tries to fly and die at a 1:45 split after the first 2 minutes...

Tried again at a 1:50, died after 2 minutes.

Waited half an hour, just crying because every was getting such great scores and I
couldn't even hold a 1:50 split for 1k :/ my coach reckons it's a mental block so we
just did one at a 1:55 split and I got 7:36.5. Even the I struggled with :frown: Yay for such a great PB...I've been off school for the last 2 days with the flu, so I know that's partly to do with it. But it's days like this when I feel like I just want to give up because I'm never going to get in that 2nd boat as I am!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 878
Learn from your mistake and move on. Don't let it get to you.

You could try a negative split next time.

Start at something like 1:50, every 400m or so work it down by 1s. So go 400m at 1:50, 1:49, etc.

Last time I did a 2k I held about 1:40 for 1500m before hitting the wall and losing all my rhythmn. It was a mare to say the least, but I didn't let it get to me.

Unfortunately, I've since stopped rowing so I haven't done a 2k (or any training) for a while.
Original post by Tabris
Learn from your mistake and move on. Don't let it get to you.

You could try a negative split next time.

Start at something like 1:50, every 400m or so work it down by 1s. So go 400m at 1:50, 1:49, etc.

Last time I did a 2k I held about 1:40 for 1500m before hitting the wall and losing all my rhythmn. It was a mare to say the least, but I didn't let it get to me.

Unfortunately, I've since stopped rowing so I haven't done a 2k (or any training) for a while.

Thing is, I don't even know what went wrong. Now, my parents won't even let me go train on the erg upstairs because they think i'm too ill. Makes me want to break someone when I can't relax through rowing :P I'm going to start doing some more strength stuff at home, and i'm going to go down before each session and do a 2k. I'm going to try a 1:53 split tomorrow and just go down 1 pip each time I think!

Quick Reply

Latest