The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Parking at UEA (commuter)

Hi folks,

I've seen a couple of threads denouncing the parking situation at UEA, but they don't quite cover my situation. I already know I will be eligible for a permit as I will be commuting an hour to UEA, and not living on campus or in Norwich itself.

My question is, will I be able to find a space when I get here? :s-smilie:

Also, is there any free parking around the area, as you can't park overnight on campus?

Ta,

Em x
Reply 1
Original post by emelle
Hi folks,

I've seen a couple of threads denouncing the parking situation at UEA, but they don't quite cover my situation. I already know I will be eligible for a permit as I will be commuting an hour to UEA, and not living on campus or in Norwich itself.

My question is, will I be able to find a space when I get here? :s-smilie:

Also, is there any free parking around the area, as you can't park overnight on campus?

Ta,

Em x

There are usually quite a few spaces. The main car park is pretty large, and there's another one down by Thomas Payne which usually looks half empty.

Free parking in the area is tricky due to lots of residential zones. Also several cars belonging to Village people parked off Wilberforce Road have been broken into in the last week. You might be able to find a quiet street out the other side of campus, across the road from the medical centre (can't remember the name).
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
I`m having to commute from home for a few weeks. Unless you want to pay £1 an hour, you have to park by the food institute, which then takes about 20 mins to walk to the library. With an hours drive each way, it makes it a long day.
I`ll be glad when April comes around and I have accommodation sorted.
Reply 3
Original post by Jez RR
There are usually quite a few spaces. The main car park is pretty large, and there's another one down by Thomas Payne which usually looks half empty.

Free parking in the area is tricky due to lots of residential zones. Also several cars belonging to Village people parked off Wilberforce Road have been broken into in the last week. You might be able to find a quiet street out the other side of campus, across the road from the medical centre (can't remember the name).

thanks for the info, I was worried it would be completely jammed!
Reply 4
Original post by Matureb
I`m having to commute from home for a few weeks. Unless you want to pay £1 an hour, you have to park by the food institute, which then takes about 20 mins to walk to the library. With an hours drive each way, it makes it a long day.
I`ll be glad when April comes around and I have accommodation sorted.

Yeah, it's going to quite tiring, I'm an hour away too, but worth it to continue living with my boyfriend in our house which we're just getting how we want it!

From what I've read on the transport section of the website, if you get a permit the cost is something like £1 per day, and I didn't think the car parks where so far away. I guess the rate you speak of is the visitor rate like any other pay and display?
Reply 5
A normal student permit only allows you to park by the food institute. Students are not normally allowed to park on campus without medical reasons.
Reply 6
Original post by Matureb
A normal student permit only allows you to park by the food institute. Students are not normally allowed to park on campus without medical reasons.

20 minutes walk? Great. :/ They're really anti cars aren't they?

Edit: that sounds kinda mean. I get that they have little space, and it is more green to encourage public transport... but kinda harsh on people who have no choice :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Matureb

Yes, that is what I was thinking. The website says

"Staff Group A Permit Holders and those with a Blue Badge or D permit are entiltled to park on campus, students Group A Permit holders are required to park at the over flow car park, Colney Lane, a short walk from campus."

There are a few side roads around the UEA as well, most of which have parking restrictions, usually 2 hours, but since you are living 1 hour away you will definitely get a permit so can park at the food place.
Reply 8
Original post by emelle
20 minutes walk? Great. :/ They're really anti cars aren't they?

Edit: that sounds kinda mean. I get that they have little space, and it is more green to encourage public transport... but kinda harsh on people who have no choice :/

Yeah. It is really annoying. There were plans & permission to build a multi-story car park where the main car park is but I guess all the greenies campaigned against it because it never happened :mad:
Reply 9
And now the car park by the food institute is to close (as from June 17). Have to use the Costessey park n ride for £1 a day.
Reply 10
Original post by Matureb
And now the car park by the food institute is to close (as from June 17). Have to use the Costessey park n ride for £1 a day.

Which according to the P&R website, doesn't run on weekends or after 6.30pm. How on earth do UEA consider this a viable alternative?
Reply 11
Actually, having looked into it further, it doesn't seem too bad. You can park in the main car park after 2pm, so that enables staying later than 6.30pm. And it will be easier to park up at the park and ride, more spaces.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending