The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Chunkeymonkey62
Anyone going for Storm Jameson ?

Yeah, that's the one i really want, the photos look amazing. Did you already apply? Cause it doesn't let me specify that i want Storm Jameson, i just had to put Charles Morris, so i'm not sure what to do about it.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 81
Does anyone know what The Tannery is like?
Reply 82
Original post by horseferrygirl

Original post by horseferrygirl
i'm liking the clarence dock accomodation but it's only 43 weeks contract so what would i do for the other nine weeks apart from xmas. also the sky plaza from unite looks AMAAAAZZZIIIN but i dont get how its nearly sold out.. btw still waitin for an offer from leeds for communication *fingers crossed xox

apparently we are able to pay extra for the time that we need it for, however they did say that we might have to be moved for the extra weeks we want
Original post by elstevens
I loved Warwick when I went, and I think I could have a really good time there, but there's something about Leeds. I like the idea of being in a city, and having all the possibilities of things to do. Also, I'm a re-applicant, and I firmed Leeds last year, so chances still stand that I'll do it again. I think I'll have to wait and see though. It may be a rejection from Warwick and then my mind will be made up for me anyway :smile:.

How are you getting there? By train? There must be some sort of bus service in place. When I went up for my interview I got a plane, and then a taxi. It seemed pretty simple, I guess... I really don't know! Hopefully you don't get lost :smile:.

Yeah, it really all depends on where you feel comfortable! Definitely since I’m from Newcastle I don’t think I could go somewhere that isn’t a big city with lots of things to do and for Leeds it looks amazing nightlife/student life!
Exactly no point making a decision now if you haven’t heard back from Warwick!

I’m going by train there are a few buses that go there so I’m sure I’ll be okay haha it’s sort of a casual open day where you can go when you please so I don’t need to be there for any specific time!
Just confirmed my application, North Hill Court here I come :h:
Reply 85
Original post by Bella Occhi
Just confirmed my application, North Hill Court here I come :h:

Deja vu hahahahaha :P
Original post by Nicknak256
Deja vu hahahahaha :P

:p:
Reply 87
I'm thinking Bodington at the moment...I'm more interested in meeting new people and the social scene than much else. So far I've heard the only downside to Bodington being the distance fro the city/campus? Is this pretty much right?

Thanks for any help :smile:
For choosing your accommodation do you have to narrow it down to three choices? Or is it just one?
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
For choosing your accommodation do you have to narrow it down to three choices? Or is it just one?

Just one. The problem being that if you picked 3 and they were all oversubscribed, you wouldn't get any of them (say you put 1 James Baillie, 2 Henry Price, 3 Devonshire. If you didn't get James Baillie, there would be no way you could get Henry Price or Dev because they would all have filled up by people putting them number 1). And then we would have no idea where to put you. So we ask you to give us your one preferred choice and then to rank your important features so for example if you put en suite as your most important thing, then we would try to give you an en suite somewhere)
About 75% of people get their preferred choice but that will be less at the oversubscribed places and more at the less oversubscribed. So if you put Lupton, for example, you're pretty definite to get it, and if you put James Baillie, you probably only have a 50% chance of getting it. So the best way of getting where you want, if it's one of the most oversubscribed ones, is by persuading everyone else that it's rubbish :wink:
Hope that makes sense!
Reply 90
Original post by accomoffice
Just one. The problem being that if you picked 3 and they were all oversubscribed, you wouldn't get any of them (say you put 1 James Baillie, 2 Henry Price, 3 Devonshire. If you didn't get James Baillie, there would be no way you could get Henry Price or Dev because they would all have filled up by people putting them number 1). And then we would have no idea where to put you. So we ask you to give us your one preferred choice and then to rank your important features so for example if you put en suite as your most important thing, then we would try to give you an en suite somewhere)
About 75% of people get their preferred choice but that will be less at the oversubscribed places and more at the less oversubscribed. So if you put Lupton, for example, you're pretty definite to get it, and if you put James Baillie, you probably only have a 50% chance of getting it. So the best way of getting where you want, if it's one of the most oversubscribed ones, is by persuading everyone else that it's rubbish :wink:
Hope that makes sense!

Hi Accomoffice - Is Charles Morris usually oversubsribed? Also, with the meal card for the Refectory, can you use it at lunch time, people on here are saying that you can't?
Hey just got an offer for Medicine at Leeds which I'm most likely gonna firm...
so people seem to be suggesting self-catered, since the refrectory food sucks...
im an international student.
do the refrectory offer international foods as well?
thx
Hope that makes sense!

Ahh I see, thanks. And now to bother you with one more question; Bodington I presume is quite popular but also it's the largest choice; is there a good chance of getting in if I put that down? Obviously just based on previous years. I don't know which one to go for :colondollar:
Hope that makes sense!

I want to Firm Leeds but im not doing so until i have visited the accommodation at the end of the month! I want to put James Baillie as my first choice although you said theres only a 50% chance of me getting in! Does this mean if i dont get in i will just be put into some random hall where there is a space? :frown:
Original post by Whistle
Hi Accomoffice - Is Charles Morris usually oversubsribed? Also, with the meal card for the Refectory, can you use it at lunch time, people on here are saying that you can't?

Difficult to say - it wasn't last year but that's partly because Storm Jameson was new and the other 2 blocks had been closed for a year being refurbished. I would guess it will probably break even but that's just a guess at this stage.

No, the meal card doesn't cover lunches - most people have lunch with friends on their course who may well not have meal cards so it gives you the freedom to do whatever you want for lunch rather than being confined to the Refectory.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Ahh I see, thanks. And now to bother you with one more question; Bodington I presume is quite popular but also it's the largest choice; is there a good chance of getting in if I put that down? Obviously just based on previous years. I don't know which one to go for :colondollar:

Because of the sheer size (and also because a lot of people, particularly international students,are worried about the distance) very good chance of getting Bod.
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
I want to Firm Leeds but im not doing so until i have visited the accommodation at the end of the month! I want to put James Baillie as my first choice although you said theres only a 50% chance of me getting in! Does this mean if i dont get in i will just be put into some random hall where there is a space? :frown:

I'm not sure I'd call any of our halls random :tongue:
If you didn't get a place in your preferred hall, we would look at what you'd put as your important features and try and match those as closely as we could. So hopefully, it would be somewhere that met at least some of your criteria.
Reply 97
Difficult to say - it wasn't last year but that's partly because Storm Jameson was new and the other 2 blocks had been closed for a year being refurbished. I would guess it will probably break even but that's just a guess at this stage.

No, the meal card doesn't cover lunches - most people have lunch with friends on their course who may well not have meal cards so it gives you the freedom to do whatever you want for lunch rather than being confined to the Refectory.

Thanks for the reply. Some people are saying that the food at the Refectory is poor, is it possible to find out what is served there. I dont eat breakfast so do I get a daily allowance to use then or what happens?
Hi, just firmed for Economics and was wondering what accommodation would suit me best. If anyone could help, would be much appreciated.
Basically, I love going out clubbing and that, so expecting to be out quite a lot. Not too bothered whether i'm in the city or near/on campus, just as long as i'm not in the middle of nowhere.. Looking for a place with no rahs, or not known for rahs, as i cant stand them... Also ensuite.
Thanks
Reply 99
how long after you guys firmed leeds did you get the Leeds ID thing that lets you sort out your accommodation? :smile:

Latest