The Student Room Group

People who shouldn't get into Uni

I am not on about whether they are poor, rich, snobby or old but moreso to do with their attitude, work ethic and general 'can't be arsed' with this course BUT OMFG UNI IS HERE!" mentality.

I'll give you my example.

My class got merged with 2 separate classes, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, the first class has a total of 15ish lads aged 18/19 and the second is between 17-21. My class is aged 22-34 but only 4 of us, mature students as you see but this is college and not university.

These two classes have destroyed our progress and in some cases my ability to nod off is becoming ever more common because I have to face the truth, these 2 classes are ****ing atrocious.

Its a class of 20, 1 tutor and they are always reminding me how I hated high school.

-Late by 10 mins to 1 hour (like seriously?),

-Have no paper, yes I am serious, they also whine about "no pen can I have one?"

-Talking loudly and nattering away constantly, throwing stuff as they do, not paying attention and being thick as **** on simple subjects.

-They get told to shut it but the tutor doesn't have a firm grip on the situation and tbh their previous one didn't either.

-They dont even write the stuff down which the tutor says they need too and then take up his time asking "what was that?" or "don't know what to do" I expect that from primary school but these people take the piss.

-Messing with phones constantly and interested in what youtube has to feed them to get by.

That is just the first class

The second class is that AND more.

-We have 2 asian ****ers mouthing Islamic insurgent ****e randomly, we got 2 girls who squeal when the guys do stuff and to top it off this SIMPLE survey practical we did this afternoon was just pathetic.

Using the equipment as spears, ****ign around on phones and doing other andom crap, me and the others out of my original class did all the work.

One group failed to get data from one spot and their excuses were "I thought they did it", "we couldn't do it", "it wasn't set up right" etc, et ****ing cetera.

I have 12 lessons to go and then I am done and by the looks of it I will have the marks required for my course but what scares me is the fact a big chunk of these arsewipes want to go to university and I know they will get to their uni, although they wouldn't touch a decent course because they wont be accepted.

This is whats wrong with uni, not the fact that it can be done on loans but the sheer fact that most of these useless twatts can accumulate a certain number of points, direct themselves towards a course no matter how crap it may be and just float around like a useless turd.

I saw 1 kid in the first class who could maybe buckle up and get going on a uni course but he has said they are way behind and he doesn't know what to do about it. The thing is he comes in late quite a fair bit so he has no chance.

My course is level 3, most if not all university courses are level 4 or higher from year 1. How these people are not removed from the course quickly to give someone else a chance is beyond me and yes, they will be removed from the course or drop out because thats who they are, a waste of space in the institution.

I know I shouldn't get worked up over this but the big factor most of these types of students will be pushing for a university spot is the hike in fees but those who can do the work and want to may find themselves pushed out.

"OMFG! gotta get to uni man!, gotta get there!" I heard one of these clowns say exactly that. I did a /palmface

How many people here knows people like this going to uni this september?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You seem angry. I do agree with some of the points though, especially when people sat behind you talk really loudly during a lecture.
Reply 2
What the **** kind of course do you do? This doesn't sound like university to me.
Reply 3
Original post by bigmo7
You seem angry. I do agree with some of the points though, especially when people sat behind you talk really loudly during a lecture.

I am in class from 9:30am till 5pm, with 2 breaks and dinner break. it is non-stop from beginning to end so forgive me for wanting to plant them through a wall.

I am also partially deaf so its a big annoyance.

Original post by Gimothy
What the **** kind of course do you do? This doesn't sound like university to me.

BTEC construction, yes its easy but I have found it a great source for learning about what i want to do which will be Building Surveying. This degree is level 4 from year one and my course has taught me a lot of stuff that will be included in the degree. if you came from a regular A level, smart as you may be, you will be behind someone who did this BTEC by a good margin.
Reply 4
Who the **** do you think you are to decide who should and shouldn't get into university? :mob:
Reply 5
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
I am in class from 9:30am till 5pm, with 2 breaks and dinner break. it is non-stop from beginning to end so forgive me for wanting to plant them through a wall.

I am also partially deaf so its a big annoyance.

Harsh, I only have ~10 hours a week of lectures. I think if I had to put up with people like that on a constant basis I would feel the same :h:
Reply 6
It is amazing the amount of people who turn up to classes in college and lectures/seminars at uni without a pen and paper, and do it consistently.
It's like, you being here isn't exactly a surprise, it takes 10 seconds to pack some paper and pens FFS.
Reply 7

BTEC construction, yes its easy but I have found it a great source for learning about what i want to do which will be Building Surveying. This degree is level 4 from year one and my course has taught me a lot of stuff that will be included in the degree. if you came from a regular A level, smart as you may be, you will be behind someone who did this BTEC by a good margin.

Apologies, I thought you were already at university. In fact, I still have no idea what your first post is saying.
Reply 8
Original post by i.am.lost
Who the **** do you think you are to decide who should and shouldn't get into university? :mob:

I think I am old enough to form a good opinion on who is a waste of money and space in a university no matter how crap it may be. You will see come May how many applicants have rushed to get into uni before the tuition hike.

Original post by Gimothy
Apologies, I thought you were already at university. In fact, I still have no idea what your first post is saying.

You fail at reading comprehension.
I have to be blunt here, Harry. You're studying a BTEC in Construction, what did you expect? It is hardly going to be full of die hard academics willing to continually learn and improve their understanding and appreciation of the world around them by pushing themselves to do the best they can through the medium of education, is it? I mean, where does a BTEC in Construction even lead? Employment as a CSCS card holding labourer or groundworker paying £6.00 an hour? University? Please enlighten me.
Reply 10

Sorry, I guess I've been spoiled by well-written English. Yunno, at my university that isn't filled with retards.

It wasn't that clear, sorry

Original post by Mm_Minty
It is amazing the amount of people who turn up to classes in college and lectures/seminars at uni without a pen and paper, and do it consistently.
It's like, you being here isn't exactly a surprise, it takes 10 seconds to pack some paper and pens FFS.

I know, sooo annoying!
Everyone on my course has a group on Facebook going to help with various work assignments, and one girl keeps popping up to ask for help. She has 5 dissection write ups to do before the end of term (which take a good 4-6 hours each), 4 essays (one of which was due in last week so she's lost 10%), 3 other assignments that were due in weeks ago so she'll have lost marks and then two exams next week, and when asked why she hasn't done them she just said "I don't want to be the sad act sitting in my room doing work whilst everyone else is going out and getting drunk and going to parties".
Why come to uni then?
Reply 12
Stop moaning,

Your doing BTEC construction,

If your that bothered pay for private tutoring?
Original post by Gimothy
Sorry, I guess I've been spoiled by well-written English. Yunno, at my university that isn't filled with retards.

It is quite plainly written...
this is college and not university.
Reply 14
I would agree, but its not as if you can be tested on how much your a douche by a test. But generally their grades speaks for themselves.
Theres people like that in my seminars this year at uni and they piss me right off. There is around 20 odd people in the group and out of those, there is an attendance of 15 maybe. And only 7 pay attention.

I always think FFS if you want to mess around, go out the door. Why are you at uni? :banghead: don't even get me started on the morons who turn up to lectures who spend the entire time talking. *****.
Reply 16
I hate the whole 'going to uni because it's uni' mindset. Sadly, most people have that.
Reply 17
Don't worry dude. Come university and they are screwed up the ass. Anyone who slacks and indulges in laziness in this day and age shall be trampled by snobby suit wearing types with sharp stilettos!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 18
Well you are college, most colleges are full of kids like that... Immature, lazy, not knowing what they want to do with their lives, thinking/being told college is their best option when its not, just the easiest. At the end of the day, you get back what you put in. Yes they may scrape into uni, but if they continue with the same attitude then they won't get very far. Just concentrate on yourself and your own work.
Original post by Mm_Minty

I'm quite a good postgraduate student but I often forget pen/paper. It reflects a bad organization on my side, but nothing related to my work ethic ^^ (but yeah I know that I annoy some of my mates).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending