The Student Room Group

The effects of addicting to online games

Dear,

I know that addicting to online games may effect health.
Can you give me more effects of addicting to online games?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Staring at the screen too long may mess up your eyesight?

There was a study about a year ago that suggested playing violent video games means you'll less likely to be surprised or shocked by watching horrific scenes on the television, and you're less likely to help other people as you begin to see things as 'no big deal'.

Google it, OP.
Reply 2
Thanks for your help

But I want to know more effects which about social relationsip or lose oneself
What kat2pult said:tongue:
why are you asking instead of going onto google and researching it?

Online addiction is not like heroin which is a craving the body needs, its more an extension of a personality trait such as addictive personality.
Reply 5
playing long hours makes you less sociable. You cant exactly be the life of the party after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours without saying a word.
Reply 6
I'm fine.
Reply 7
Original post by happy123
Dear,

I know that addicting to online games may effect health.
Can you give me more effects of addicting to online games?
Thanks.

generally its argued addiction to the internet and to online games is more a symptom of something else than an addiction
Original post by kat2pult
less likely to help other people as you begin to see things as 'no big deal'.

Lolwut? I play games and if I saw someone get badly injured or killed I wouldn't just think "Oh who cares, they'll respawn in a few seconds..."

The effects if you're a short tempered person could be a controller through TV/Screen
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I, once upon a time, was addicted to Habbo. I would spend as much time as possible on it. I would neglect going out in the evenings with friends and spending time with the family.

I hated myself for it, but I was obsessed.

Cold turkey. It's the only way I could break my habit.

Addiction is destructive.
I think you have to make the distinction between clinically addicted (like a drug, cannot physically cope without it) and what society thinks of as addicted (just doing something a lot).

Original post by MA039
playing long hours makes you less sociable. You cant exactly be the life of the party after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours without saying a word.

Not if you are playing online games with other people.
Or games like Rock Band where you are playing as a group of people.

and you're less likely to help other people as you begin to see things as 'no big deal'.

Rubbish. Explain the fact I play video games a lot, yet I am also a member of the University Of Bath lifesaving club (so am a trained first aider, and a qualified lifeguard) then.
Reply 11
Original post by WelshBluebird
Rubbish. Explain the fact I play video games a lot, yet I am also a member of the University Of Bath lifesaving club (so am a trained first aider, and a qualified lifeguard) then.

Original post by Willum Infanta
Lolwut? I play games and if I saw someone get badly injured or killed I wouldn't just think "Oh who cares, they'll respawn in a few seconds..."

The effects if you're a short tempered person could be a controller through TV/Screen

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/feb/10/games-controversy

And because "Supernanny" is the overall authority on such matters :rolleyes:
Nearly all studies that show deterimental affects on people because of playing games are flawed in some way.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by WelshBluebird
And because "Supernanny" is the overall authority on such matters :rolleyes:

The results are there. Perhaps you're an exception, who knows. You can't argue with the facts though, regardless of who did the experiment.
Reply 14

The results are there. Perhaps you're an exception, who knows. You can't argue with the facts though, regardless of who did the experiment.

Did you read the article? It says the experiment is rubbish... (paraphrasing) so you can stick the results somewhere the sun don't shine, I shoot people over the internet but I still care about what's going on in Japan. What a ridiculous hypothesis.

Yes I can.
As I have said, nearly all such studies have been flawed in some way.
If you carried on reading that article, it says:
"the results are utterly inconclusive"

The final paragraph sums up my opinion quite well.

Finally, the underlying statistical nugget that haunts this whole debate: violent video games have been around for 30 years. If just 20 minutes of exposure is enough to turn normal boys into desensitised monsters, our streets should be filled with violence. They're not. Violent crime has plunged during that period.

edit: While I am at this, the OP is approaching the question from the wrong angle. If you are actually stidying the topic area, you have to come at it from a neutral perspective. That is actually one of the faults of many of such studies. If you go into it wanting to back up your own opinions, you probably will somehow find something to back up you regardless.
(edited 13 years ago)

Wow, seriously...just because some didn't pick up pencils of the floor that means that the video games were responsible.

And why just boys? Are they not aware girls play games too...?

Finally, Supernanny?! :dry:
Reply 17
This subject is always brought up in the gaming world, and overall in my opinion I would say it all depends on the type of person you are.
I can really comment on how it effects some people as both my parents are heavy MMO gamers and have been for quite some time. They aren't addicted as such, they do play quite often but they won't prioritise a game over more important matters, like their children, work, family or friends.
It's a persons choice to neglect their own life, for example cutting social interaction with friends or choosing not to go to work/school.

As for the violent game discussion I personally think that violent video games and peoples behaviour have nothing to do with each other. It's the mentality/morals that a person has that will effect how they react to things. I play a lot of violent gorey games with blood splatters and the like, I know it's not real so it doesn't effect me, but in real life the sight of blood makes me feel ill! :rolleyes:
Being addicted to games is pretty much the same as being addicted to drugs, sex, alcohol etc. Depends which one is your style really :rolleyes:
Original post by darknessbehold
Being addicted to games is pretty much the same as being addicted to drugs, sex, alcohol etc. Depends which one is your style really :rolleyes:

That is where I disagree.

With alcohol and drugs, there is a physical addiction. Your body literally cannot cope without them.
With things like sex, gaming and other "addictions", its different.
That is how I see it anyway.

In any case, people are too quick to band around the word "addiction".
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest