The Student Room Group

how do you people do it

im doing As chem and i am finding it hard to remember facts. people are good at chem do you keep writing notes and rereading them regularly??
i tend to write notes and never look at them again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Past papers?
Reply 2
Notes which help me do every question i can find + past papers.

Trust me, questions are the best way to revise, as they actually get your brain working and engaged.
its just practice.

the more often you use something. the more likely you are to remember it. i can read over notes for ever and nothing will sink in. but actually applying the information over and over again (usually in the form of questions) definitely helps loads
Reply 5
What exactly do you find difficult, gernally do notes re write them till i can rember them do past papers, if i really dont understand soemthing ill use my chem text book or chem guide or ask teacher
Reply 6
Just don't do chemistry.
Reply 7
i was s**t at chem and i survived by copying what i'd learnt that day in the evening, helped jog my memory and makes wayy more sense reading things second/third time round. take the time to try and properly understand it then it'll all become much easier come exam time :smile:

didn't like past papers though - they just scared me :s-smilie:
I always read the textbook and when I was revising for exams I did all the exam style questions in the book and as many past papers as I could find
Original post by Harry.C
Just don't do chemistry.

And do what instead exactly?
Reply 10
Original post by Sammydemon
And do what instead exactly?

Physics.
Original post by Harry.C
Physics.

Asubject that consists almost totally of abstract mathematics and theory that are nigh on impossible to put to use in the real world?
Reply 12
Asubject that consists almost totally of abstract mathematics and theory that are nigh on impossible to put to use in the real world?

Thats right, impossible to put to use. Only if you are forgetting nigh on every technological/engineering advancement.
Original post by ZUB123786
im doing As chem and i am finding it hard to remember facts. people are good at chem do you keep writing notes and rereading them regularly??
i tend to write notes and never look at them again.

I would say no. I read the textbook from time to time but like people have said. PAST PAPERS
Original post by Harry.C
Thats right, impossible to put to use. Only if you are forgetting nigh on every technological/engineering advancement.

Chemists/electronic engineers can do that and much more besides.

It's so hard to put into words just how wrong that sentence is...
Past papers until you get bored and can recite the definitions word perfect. Thats what we ended up doing. Still doing it for A2.

I also did posters. Usually I do a neat one for most bits, then will do quick, messy ones just to see what I remember.
Original post by physicsfuntimes
It's so hard to put into words just how wrong that sentence is...

I guess you are a physicist which would explain why you find it hard to put your thoughts into words. Try using some mathematical equations instead...

In all seriousness, give me a sentence that is correct as a replacement?
Reply 18
Chemists/electronic engineers can do that and much more besides.

engineers use physics....

it controls absolutely everything.
Original post by Harry.C
engineers use physics....

it controls absolutely everything.

Engineers apply some physics and mathematics to real world problems, yes. Do a physics degree and try to find a job with it afterwards (except teaching).

Quick Reply

Latest