The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by soutioirsim
Well because the university is made of colleges (38 in total). You live, eat and study in your college so it's your choice on where you want to live. You also get interviewed at your college, not the department of your subject.

Some are quite big and exciting while some are small, cosy and friendly. So you have to decide what suits you best. Also, some colleges might have more places on offer for your subject which could make a difference on where you apply.

Why does the college interview you and not the department? Surely that doesn't make academic sense? And what's their logic in allocating places on courses to colleges, not individuals generally?
Original post by in_vogue
Why does the college interview you and not the department? Surely that doesn't make academic sense? And what's their logic in allocating places on courses to colleges, not individuals generally?

Well it's the tutors in the college who are going to have to do the bulk of the teaching/tutorials with you for the next 3/4 years so they need to know who's going to be the best in that kind of enviroment. The department only do lectures.

Well after the entrance tests and interviews are over. The applicants for each subject are considered all together, as a giant "pool" of applicants (Independant of college choice).
Reply 42
Right, updated and now time to get on with more maths related things. Any Physics/Maths student willing to disclose their experiences or tips would be very welcome!
Original post by dnumberwang

A maths person! Yay!

Original post by candide

You're from Eriskay? :love: It must be the prettiest place in the world! (Oxford is second of course.) We go to South Uist for three weeks every summer (East Kilbride, so right by Eriskay.) It must be a bit of a pain to live there sometimes, though. Do you have to trek up to Lewis for school?

Oh, and because I didn't do this properly at the start :redface: :
Username: anyone_can_fly
SG/Int 2: 5 1s, 2 Int 2 As and A in higher maths
Highers: Maths (AH), Physics, French, History, Music
Advanced Highers: Physics, French, Statistics if it runs (otherwise I'll self-teach and do AH history as well)
Subject: Mathematics!
College: Either Merton or Worcester
Reply 44
Original post by anyone_can_fly
A maths person! Yay!

You're from Eriskay? :love: It must be the prettiest place in the world! (Oxford is second of course.) We go to South Uist for three weeks every summer (East Kilbride, so right by Eriskay.) It must be a bit of a pain to live there sometimes, though. Do you have to trek up to Lewis for school?

Oh, and because I didn't do this properly at the start :redface: :
Username: anyone_can_fly
SG/Int 2: 5 1s, 2 Int 2 As and A in higher maths
Highers: Maths (AH), Physics, French, History, Music
Advanced Highers: Physics, French, Statistics if it runs (otherwise I'll self-teach and do AH history as well)
Subject: Mathematics!
College: Either Merton or Worcester

Second person on TSR who had this reaction.

East Kilbride?

I really should know who you are!

No, we have a secondary school in Benbecula. A good school if a bit small.

Hmm, do you have family up here or something?
i would love to apply for PPE at oxford, but i dont think i have the right gcse grades.

I completed my GCSEs at a state school, and then swifly moved to an independent school where i am now. i have turned into an academic and would love to pursue a career in politics. my gcse grades were 2A*s, 3As,6Bs,2Cs....do i stand a chance if i can get high TSA score and 4A* a levels? thanks
Original post by candide
Second person on TSR who had this reaction.

East Kilbride?

I really should know who you are!

No, we have a secondary school in Benbecula. A good school if a bit small.

Hmm, do you have family up here or something?

I don't have family - due to a complicated story involving some family friends and an overbearing mother-in-law, we own half a house. (Cathy-Ann MacPhee's old house, opposite Murdo and Myrna?)

I suppose Benbecula's not too bad, though it must still be a waste of a couple of hours a day.
Reply 47
I don't have family - due to a complicated story involving some family friends and an overbearing mother-in-law, we own half a house. (Cathy-Ann MacPhee's old house, opposite Murdo and Myrna?)

I suppose Benbecula's not too bad, though it must still be a waste of a couple of hours a day.

I know the house. =]

We used to pop into see Cathy when we were wee.

I hope you didn't think I was being nosy. I'm always curious at the random connections I come across on here.
Original post by candide
I know the house. =]

We used to pop into see Cathy when we were wee.

I hope you didn't think I was being nosy. I'm always curious at the random connections I come across on here.

I didn't think you were nosy at all :wink: I'm much worse when I get going. And random connections are fun.
Reply 49
Username: betaomega
Subject: Chemistry
GCSES:11A*'s
AS Levels:Chem, Maths, Physics and RE
College(s): ChCh, keble or a central one (Lincoln?)
Reply 50
I didn't think you were nosy at all :wink: I'm much worse when I get going. And random connections are fun.

Hmm, they are indeed.

You stay just down from my girlfriend. Across from my (former) babysitter. Small world!

You're doing Advanced Higher Maths this year????????
Original post by itzRussian
Username: itzRussian
GCSE (or equivalent): 10A*s 1A & A in FSMQ Add Maths
A Levels (or equivalent): Further Mathematics (200/200), Physics (90/90), Chemistry (84/90)
Subject: Physics!!
College: Not decided but Brasenose or Hertford look nice :smile:

Brasenose FTW :biggrin:

Seriously though, they're both lovely colleges. :smile:

With regards to the college-centric admissions system, I think there's definitely some level of consideration on a faculty basis. There's pre-interview re-allocation to "distribute candidates more evenly across colleges", and also pooling.

Anyway, you guys sure are enthusiastic - it's only March! If any prospective Law / Brasenose applicant has queries about admissions though, feel free to PM or quote me. :smile:
Reply 52
AH! This was me last year!
If anyone has any questions on the interviews etc. for Biochemistry, just ask! I don't bite. :biggrin:
Oh, and Good Luck Guys!

Edit: Why this attracts negrepping i'm not too sure. :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by candide
Hmm, they are indeed.

You stay just down from my girlfriend. Across from my (former) babysitter. Small world!

You're doing Advanced Higher Maths this year????????

Nah, it's only the Hebrides which are small :wink:. Though having said that, I bump into people I know all the time in Edinburgh.

You're doing six highers this year, that's just as bad! And Gaidhlig totally counts. Also, crashing an advanced higher next year? I mean, biology's probably one of the easier ones to crash, but still.

We need to liven this thread up, Cambridge is on page 30 or something! :eek:
Nah, it's only the Hebrides which are small :wink:. Though having said that, I bump into people I know all the time in Edinburgh.

You're doing six highers this year, that's just as bad! And Gaidhlig totally counts. Also, crashing an advanced higher next year? I mean, biology's probably one of the easier ones to crash, but still.

Yeah, anyone would think Oxfordians were boring.
Original post by betaomega
Username: betaomega
Subject: Chemistry
GCSES:11A*'s
AS Levels:Chem, Maths, Physics and RE
College(s): ChCh, keble or a central one (Lincoln?)

Eleven A*s! Wow! I'm glad I do the Scottish system, or that would be really disheartening. Did you work crazily hard, or are you a natural genius, or both? :adore:
Reply 56
I will be applying, as long the summer exams go to plan

Ditto...

Username: speedy03
Subject: Hopefully English
GCSES:10A*'s and an A.
AS Levels:Further Maths, Maths, Physics, French and English Lit.
College(s): Provisionally St John's, Exeter or Magdalen, but not sure in any way shape or form.
Original post by ilovedubstep
Yeah, anyone would think Oxfordians were boring.

Well, we can't have that! *suspicious look* Hey! Well, anyone would think that Cantabrigians don't have a life! :tongue: And we can't be that boring if you're reading our thread.
Well, we can't have that! *suspicious look* Hey! Well, anyone would think that Cantabrigians don't have a life! :tongue: And we can't be that boring if you're reading our thread.

I'm just investigating your 'thread'.
Reply 59

Well technically the Hebrides are really quite big (or long, I should say) e.g I have a fifty mile commute to and from school every day... but they are small in the sense of being "close-knit" (I can't believe I used that word, I sound like a tour book)

Hmm, AH Gaidhlig does not equate to AH Maths. Its a doddle, basically just English but err Gaidhlig. And that biology is only dependent on plucking up the courage to ask! (I hate people thinking I'm being arrogant)

Hmm, just random chat random person after random person then...

Latest

Trending

Trending