The Student Room Group

Starting your own subject

How do you go about creating your own subject that can be taught at university standard. They msut have all been at one time but in the past there wouldn't have been so much bureaucracy. But Especially since computers were invented there must loads of relatively new computing courses.

How does it work, who decides what the course content would be and how do you instantly become a doctor/ professor in a subject that doesn't properly exist yet?
Original post by Nix-j-c
How do you go about creating your own subject that can be taught at university standard. They msut have all been at one time but in the past there wouldn't have been so much bureaucracy. But Especially since computers were invented there must loads of relatively new computing courses.

How does it work, who decides what the course content would be and how do you instantly become a doctor/ professor in a subject that doesn't properly exist yet?

What new subject were you thinking of? Most are a course now surely?
Reply 2
Well as part of my placement year in Market Research at Aston Uni I worked on a couple of projects where the university was thinking of introducing a new course. I'm not sure who the request came from originally but we had to do focus groups and questionnaire research with current students, prospective students and employers to see firstly if they would be interested in studying/employing graduates from such a course and also what they thought the title of the course should be and what they would expect to be taught on such a course. The findings then went back to the department to inform their decisions.

Even from the tiny bit I have experience of I know it's a long process to introduce a new course!
Reply 3
Nothing in particular pheonix, just curious.

Thanks gilli.

A teacher at school said that the lecturers would probably be PhD graduates of a similar subject to the one they want to create. But wasn't really sure about anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending