The Student Room Group

Sick of being the least photogenic person in history

And Facebook makes it worse. With today's online world, how you look in a picture seems to be so important. I'm on facebook, for all sorts of reasons, socially, to discuss schoolwork, keep it touch etc., and I find it useful. I just have very few pictures of myself, because it happens ca once a year or less, that I get a good pic. Are any of you the same / would you find it weird if a girl was like that? I mean, I am not more shallow or focused on my looks than most girls are, it's just that I know from experience, pictures do not do me justice. There is something about the way my face captures the light, that just makes me look like someone else. I know, your friends know what you look like and blabla, but I have people on there who live far away and I only speak to online. Besides I don't think it's shallow to not want to have awful photos of yourself floating around on the internet.
I don't what people do to look good in pictures, I see plenty just smile, and they automatically look good. If they don't look good, at least they look like themselves. May sound stuck-up, but I am very good-looking in real life, and in photos I just look like a freak! My cheeks become huge, my eyes look different, and altogether it's not very nice. I have had honest friends confirm this! I suppose I could spend hours on webcam trying to get one good shot, but I know some people would frown upon that "oh look who's posting pretty pics of themselves". Just makes me exhausted :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ahh seriously don't worry about. I always seem to sprout a third thin or more, get a massive bum-chin and be midway through a sentence when the camera flashes. lots of people look crap in photos, as long as you're confident with your look off the screen, then I see no problem :h:
tbh a camera never lies. Mirrors do. Ok I'm probably wrong, not sure.

However I can relate, I'm not really photogenic either. tbh there is nothing wrong with a girl who doesnt like taking 1,500 photos of herself.
We would need to see you in real life to judge properly. But I hate photos too, so you're not alone.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
No, that's fine. I wouldn't care if a girl didn't like pictures of herself, a lot of people are like that. In fact, the opposite would concern me - the ones on Facebook who think they are very photogenic and upload 40 or so pictures of themselves pouting like ducks.

I agree with this, I'm like that myself, and it's just annoying when people spam photo's of themselves posing over and over again...

...and I love your sig :wink:
I'll give you a run for your money.
Reply 6
If it's such an issue, just get 1 good photo and make it your profile picture. All your friends will know what you look like in real life anyway, facebook photos mean **** all. Not something to worry about imo.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
No, that's fine. I wouldn't care if a girl didn't like pictures of herself, a lot of people are like that. In fact, the opposite would concern me - the ones on Facebook who think they are very photogenic and upload 40 or so pictures of themselves pouting like ducks.

Used to do my head in when everyone done that on Myspace. They'd upload about a million photos of themselves pulling the same expression, and in every photo they looked as though they'd moved about 5 feet from the location where the previous photo was taken.
The only thing it was good for was seeing what the room they were in was like, it was like a flipbook.
Reply 8
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary

However I can relate, I'm not really photogenic either. tbh there is nothing wrong with a girl who doesnt like taking 1,500 photos of herself.

You could say that, but a lot of people look worse on camera than they do in real life. Bad lighting, bad lens quality, bad angle, bad photographer all contribute to mean you really don't look your best.
Reply 9
They're probably not as bad as you think
It's only bad being unphotogenic if they have a camera. So break all their cameras.

:holmes:
My friend makes it he business to capture unflattering photos of me.

To quote her, 'It's what I do'.

Then again, it's not hard.

Original post by Yawn11
Pics or gtfo.

When did you sell your soul :hmmm:?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
If I looked in real life how I tend to look in photos, people would shield their children's eyes when I walked down the street.
I have the same problem. I'm fine until someone whips out the camera - I end up looking totally constipated :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Ultimate_Geek

When did you sell your soul :hmmm:?

If I did I haven't got much for a it, crap deal.

But what sure you on about? :eyeball:
Original post by Yawn11
If I did I haven't got much for a it, crap deal.

But what sure you on about? :eyeball:

I see the signs. This is how it starts.

A colourful username and customised title and before you know it.....BAM.

They've got you in their cold, clammy grasp.
Reply 16
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary

I thought the mirror was more accurate because you look exactly the same but in reverse. Whereas the camera is effected by the angles you take the picture at and artificial flash light. So I'd say the camera lies and the mirror tells the truth (well in reverse lol)
Reply 17
I know girls who are in the opposite position, they get great pictures where they look somehow fabulous, then you see them at school and go :lolwut: . I'm glad I'm not like that, it's undoubtedly worse. But I wish someone could take a picture of me smiling and I could use it (I've been told I'm very cute when I smile), but I look like some sort of alien. Or a fat baby. If I manage a good shot for a profile pic I know it will be another 6 months of intense trying-and-failing before I have a new one.
Original post by the_alba
If I looked in real life how I tend to look in photos, people would shield their children's eyes when I walked down the street.

Same. I'm quite confident I was possessed in most of my "night out" photos.
Reply 19
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I see the signs. This is how it starts.

A colourful username and customised title and before you know it.....BAM.

They've got you in their cold, clammy grasp.

Noooo! I'm still me I promise! This is just a phase, I'm experimenting.

Besides, I didn't even but it, Souldoubt have it to me as a surprise gift.

I'm still the same Yawn11... But I will admit, I can barely make a post recently. Hmmm...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending