The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Call me Bob
Do you think they are really enjoying the experience themselves? Have you ever considered how or why they might have ended up in that situation? Probably don't care though, right?

Well the ones in Paris certainly enjoy it. On the River Seine (near the Eiffel Tower) they were practising their 'technique' and laughing their heads off with cash rumbling in their pockets. I was disgusted but I've desensitised myself and rarely give to beggars now.

In London you get a group of them outside Kings Cross but they are more Big Issue sellers, but they try and fob you off and not give you a magazine even if you pay for it OR refuse to give you change.

In Wood Green there is a large group of Roma Gypsies a bloke with one leg..NO WHEELCHAIR OR CANE (:rolleyes:) a guy with a stick who will hit you with it if you refuse ( I wanted to hit him
In KFC one time i was asked by one of them for a chicken wing.
It's easy dealing with people who stop you and hassle you in the street, just ask them for money. Its the best way of getting rid of beggars or those charity muggers on Market Street who want you to sign up your details to pay direct debit to their charity. Just ask for some money, say its for a sandwich or for the bus because you're lost and have no bus fare. If they try and break off just say "please, its for a sandwich, please, just a sandwich". When you try that people soon disappear. It also works on those "have you had any accidents at work in the last 2 years" types...."no mate, you haven't got any cash have you please, just for a sandwich please, just a sandwich or a coffee..."
Reply 43
I saw them once in McDonalds at the top of Oxord road going through the bins for any lefover food, made me feel so sad but i was with a big group of people and didn't dare approach them as i didn't know how they'd react :frown:
Original post by Elissabeth
What is there primary motivation then?
I fail to see how anyone with children in this country could need to beg.
Do they have access to the same services as everyone else. I'd like to think no-one would choose to beg because it's so humiliating, but I have heard that some ordinary people with normal jobs do it in their spare time to supplement their income.

Money, the idea ia abhorrent to most of us due simply to pride but some people have no shame, begging can be quite lucritive if your prepared to do it.

One guy was quite famous in Brum before the new bullring was built, he would come into town wearing a suit and have a briefcase with him. When he got to town he would change into filthy rags, mess his hair up and beg the whole day. Used to do quite well by many accounts. Its not unheard of to happen.

Romany gypsies though are noterious for it but to them its a valid way to make money off people.

Oh and the kid trick - yeah thats done by loads of them bad english and stammering out my baby is hungry, you give them money and then the baby gets passed to someone else who then use the line themselves
Reply 45
Every time I've been to London in the past few months, I've seen those women. I don't tend to give to homeless people as I rarely carry change any more, at least, not a large amount.

I've given money to homeless people and beggars many times before. I gave one a £5 note once and then I went into a newsagent to buy a magazine and a chocolate bar, he followed me in there and bought cigarettes. I asked him "so that's what you're using my money for?" and he swore at me. There are quite a few Big Issue sellers around where I live. There is one really nice on who I've chatted to a few times, I usually buy one from him when I'm in that area. Then there's another one who follows people down the street shouting at them, then pulls his iPhone out to have a rant about how everybody is such a tight b*stard these days.
One of them was on Oxford Road again.

New Beggar Alert- a guy is going around stating he needs change. If you don't give it him, he acts agressively. Hangs around the car parks.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
It's easy dealing with people who stop you and hassle you in the street, just ask them for money. Its the best way of getting rid of beggars or those charity muggers on Market Street who want you to sign up your details to pay direct debit to their charity. Just ask for some money, say its for a sandwich or for the bus because you're lost and have no bus fare. If they try and break off just say "please, its for a sandwich, please, just a sandwich". When you try that people soon disappear. It also works on those "have you had any accidents at work in the last 2 years" types...."no mate, you haven't got any cash have you please, just for a sandwich please, just a sandwich or a coffee..."

I really can't stand the 'chuggers' on Market Street, I don't agree with forcefully trying to make people give to charity. I don't mind helping homeless people if they're genuine but as this thread shows many of them just con people.
Original post by gravityisamyth
I really can't stand the 'chuggers' on Market Street, I don't agree with forcefully trying to make people give to charity. I don't mind helping homeless people if they're genuine but as this thread shows many of them just con people.

Wait till you graduate from university and you start getting phone calls saying "as an alumnus of this university I am sure you will be keen to give other students a chance to enjoy the best education, would you consider making a small gift of £300 or whatever you can afford to the alumni fund?"
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Wait till you graduate from university and you start getting phone calls saying "as an alumnus of this university I am sure you will be keen to give other students a chance to enjoy the best education, would you consider making a small gift of £300 or whatever you can afford to the alumni fund?"

Ha! Funnily enough, tonight I walked past a Big Issue seller and wasn't in the greatest mood. He said "Big Issue Miss?" and normally I'll say "No thanks" but in my state I just ignored him and walked past and he said "Well f*** you too then."

It made me think of this thread...
Original post by Jez RR
Headscarves have little to do with being Muslim. They are very common in Romania, amongst the gypsies. Who coincidentally are the most prolific beggars in many European countries.

Well said.
I absolutely love the lady next to Lidl and Tesco, (you know who i mean). she plays the most depressing music with the absolute worst musical ability I've seen, yet everyday i see her making some money and giving me dirty looks, even when i give her money.

Now the real question is. "WHY DO ALL THE HOMELESS PEOPLE HAVE MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS?" :hmmmm2:
Reply 52
These Romanian gypsies are everywhere now. Every town large enough to have a mcdonalds has at least one headscarf lady yelling 'hallooo beeg ishooo'.

I was in Ireland in 2009 and I remember Dublin was full of them wandering the streets asking for money. Some guy I hitched a lift with said that their children are pickpockets. I've heard this a few times, but I don't know anyone who's seen it happen. The same chap also said that they won't work because in their own country their people never have, and have always been buskers, beggars or thieves.

When I went to Northern Ireland my friend who i met up with said that most of the gypsies got chased out of Belfast by the paramilitaries or someone. Apparently one of them climbed the ferris wheel and refused to get down.
Worse than this, is that (rightly or wrongly) as women they would easily (and probably already do) get support from the council.

Which means that they are taking up space from men who would less easily get council support, and who are therefore more in need of charity.
I have them on my tail all the way to friggin work: When I refuse to give anything to them they start screaming at me that doctors should help other people and start ranting about how we're overpaid. What really puts them down is when you tell them they should have tried a little harder. Classic response is *But my family wasn't supportive!*.
The ones on the trains are the worst :no:
Original post by MeWantConsultant
I have them on my tail all the way to friggin work: When I refuse to give anything to them they start screaming at me that doctors should help other people and start ranting about how we're overpaid. What really puts them down is when you tell them they should have tried a little harder. Classic response is *But my family wasn't supportive!*.

Sort of similiar, I walked past the town hall, and out of nowhere, this guy is begging. I refused and he starts following me. I was going to Waterstones to get some statute books. He stood outside. Thankfully there are other entraces/exits.
It is weird how they randomly decide to follow people. They need to "Eff OFF".
Original post by Philbert

Original post by Philbert
Every time I've been to London in the past few months, I've seen those women. I don't tend to give to homeless people as I rarely carry change any more, at least, not a large amount.

I've given money to homeless people and beggars many times before. I gave one a £5 note once and then I went into a newsagent to buy a magazine and a chocolate bar, he followed me in there and bought cigarettes. I asked him "so that's what you're using my money for?" and he swore at me. There are quite a few Big Issue sellers around where I live. There is one really nice on who I've chatted to a few times, I usually buy one from him when I'm in that area. Then there's another one who follows people down the street shouting at them, then pulls his iPhone out to have a rant about how everybody is such a tight b*stard these days.

I found a charmander :biggrin:
I hate rude people :no:
The only woman beggar on Oxford Rd I remember from the time I spent living in manc was one with a baby that hung around on the bridge by sainsburys local. Always made me a bit sad ]=

But yeah, I agree. Manc has loads more beggars than anywhere else I've been, except maybe Oxford. Although there was one nice one, who used to buy sweets with the change he got together then offer you some =P
Walked past a vagrant sitting on his cardboard mat on a mobile phone yesterday.

Says it all.

Latest

Trending

Trending