The Student Room Group

How often you do you eat take away/junk food?

Also does freezer food such as fishfingers, waffles, cauliflower cheese count as junk food?

Scroll to see replies

maybe once every 2 weeks
Reply 2
Very often, I go to the High Street for lunch.
Original post by hash007
Also does freezer food such as fishfingers, waffles, cauliflower cheese count as junk food?

'Junk' in my understanding is food that contains more salt, more saturated (or even trans), GM components, E-numbers and other nasties than beneficial nutritional components.

Following from that logic, the same dish can be considered either junk food or an appropriate, healthy option, as part of a balanced diet.

For instance, if you made a burger yourself, with good-quality meat that you grilled rather than fried, on a wholemeal bun that isn't obscene in size or sugar content, with plenty of fresh tomato and lettuce or a salad on the side, it would be a healthy option. However a burger from sam's chicken, deep fried, on white sugary bread, full of fatty ambiguous pumped liquids is a whole other story.

As for your question, I try to eat 'healthy' 80% of the time, but don't have a problem with a bag of crisps here and a chocolate there.
Fishfingers, unsure, but potato waffles and califlour cheese are fairly unhealthy, possibly junky.
I have a takeaway about twice a term (10 weeks) at uni, and once every 2-3 weeks at home. On top of that though I usually have frozen food (like chicken burgers and potato waffles) 3-4 times a term, but not at home, and mc donalds or something once a month (term and home).
Reply 5
Original post by forsaken_earth
'Junk' in my understanding is food that contains more salt, more saturated (or even trans), GM components, E-numbers and other nasties than beneficial nutritional components.

Following from that logic, the same dish can be considered either junk food or an appropriate, healthy option, as part of a balanced diet.

For instance, if you made a burger yourself, with good-quality meat that you grilled rather than fried, on a wholemeal bun that isn't obscene in size or sugar content, with plenty of fresh tomato and lettuce or a salad on the side, it would be a healthy option. However a burger from sam's chicken, deep fried, on white sugary bread, full of fatty ambiguous pumped liquids is a whole other story.

As for your question, I try to eat 'healthy' 80% of the time, but don't have a problem with a bag of crisps here and a chocolate there.

I need to start eating healthily, I get pizza or a baguette most days at college then fishfingers/waffles freezer food when I get home :/
Is Greggs considered 'junk food', I really don't know what to eat at college. Eating healthy is too expensive atm.
Too often, it's been a couple of times a week recently. With any luck I'm joining the gym next week, it will give me a reason to commit to not eating garbage =P
Reply 7
Original post by hash007
I need to start eating healthily, I get pizza or a baguette most days at college then fishfingers/waffles freezer food when I get home :/
Is Greggs considered 'junk food', I really don't know what to eat at college. Eating healthy is too expensive atm.

Nothing you can do honestly.

I got bored of sandwiches in primary school and look at me now, year 12.
I need variety, good taste, and convenience.
I've only got an hour!
Reply 8
I would definitely regard any kind of processed freezer convenience food "junk" - chicken dippers, pizzas, ready meals etc.

As for Greggs, considering their nutritional values of their sandwiches and pasties etc are ridiculous (in terms of sat fats, sodium and calories), they're equal to or actually surpass even Maccy Dees in the junky sense.

In terms of how often I eat junk food? Nowadays, close to never - maybe once a week.
Reply 9
Original post by TotoMimo
I would definitely regard any kind of processed freezer convenience food "junk" - chicken dippers, pizzas, ready meals etc.

As for Greggs, considering their nutritional values of their sandwiches and pasties etc are ridiculous (in terms of sat fats, sodium and calories), they're equal to or actually surpass even Maccy Dees in the junky sense.

In terms of how often I eat junk food? Nowadays, close to never - maybe once a week.

No offence but how is once a week never :tongue: I thought you were going to say something like once a year.
kebab shop friday nights,
mcdonald's on wednesdays, thursdays and saturdays (work days)

mmmmmmmm.
Reply 11
Original post by TotoMimo

Then all i eat is junk food, since i have take-away at least once a week, and the rest of the time freezer "convenienve" food cause i just find it all so yummy! :s-smilie:
I eat junk food every single day.
I would class that as a packet of crisps/chocolate bar

I get take away about once a week and eat out about once a week.
Not that much actually. Never considered potato waffles or fish fingers junk food, had em this morning :u:
Junk food is food that literally offers no nutrition. Chicken dippers have protein, so although they shouldn't be eaten regularly, they can be part of a balanced diet.
Reply 15
Daily, cos it's convenient. Although I do get a salad from McDonald's quite a lot these days...so it's not really junk food I suppose?
Reply 16
Original post by hash007

I work at McDonalds, so everyday I work, since I get a free meal and can't bothered to get changed and get food from another restaurant nearby or something. So, just try not to eat too much and occasionally just eat a salad with fries and sprite drink.

Before I started working it was like once a week.
Reply 17
Original post by muffingg
I work at McDonalds, so everyday I work, since I get a free meal and can't bothered to get changed and get food from another restaurant nearby or something. So, just try not to eat too much and occasionally just eat a salad with fries and sprite drink.

Before I started working it was like once a week.

Rumour has it that Mcdonalds put horse c** in their mayonaisse, is this true :holmes:
Reply 18
Original post by hash007
Rumour has it that Mcdonalds put horse c** in their mayonaisse, is this true :holmes:

Lol. First time I'm hearing that. I personally have never used McDonald's Mayo anyway. I just like Ketchup and Barbeque (and Sweet Chilli occasionally).

I can't say much about it. Mayonaise, Ketchup, and all other sauces come pre-packed and therefore I can't say what they put in it.
Because of my diabetes, I really can not eat junk food at all, but only when I'm on the road and get hungry will I search out a KFC or McDonald's and shovel away a couple of BigMacs :P

Quick Reply

Latest