The Student Room Group

Is it bad form to ask someone out before getting their name?

Girls: If someone made small talk, then asked you out before asking your name, would you find it ok?

Guys: Have you ever done it?
Reply 1
Yeah, its not an issue, but you don't want to get into one of those awkward situations where you start talking etc and then it gets past the point where you can legitimately say "I'm sorry, I don't actually know your name?" without looking like a total bellend. But yeah, ask out, ask number and then say, "sorry - I didn't ask your name before...?" sorted.
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Yeah, its not an issue, but you don't want to get into one of those awkward situations where you start talking etc and then it gets past the point where you can legitimately say "I'm sorry, I don't actually know your name?" without looking like a total bellend. But yeah, ask out, ask number and then say, "sorry - I didn't ask your name before...?" sorted.

How isn't it an issue? So let's say if a guy starts randomly chatting to you at the library about the work you're doing and after a conversation or so he asks for your number, you won't be freaked out or think he's coming across as creepy/desperate?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
How isn't it an issue? So let's say if a guy starts randomly chatting to you at the library about the work you're doing and after a conversation or so he asks for your number, you won't be freaked out or think he's coming across as creepy/desperate?

Not really, he might just like you.

If you saw him to do it to several girls...then yes...he's a creepy & desperate.
Reply 4
I don't think so. I would be rather flattered that I had made that good first impression :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Not really. Thats generally how things work. You start talking, they ask for your number. Done.
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Not really. Thats generally how things work. You start talking, they ask for your number. Done.

You sure? I talk to a girl in my seminar group but I can't seem to get her number and if I did ask it of her, it would be so awkward.
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies
Reply 8
Bit unconventional?
Reply 9
Original post by Jack Swift
Girls: If someone made small talk, then asked you out before asking your name, would you find it ok?

Guys: Have you ever done it?

Not an issue OP

I have been speaking to a guy on and off at work for a few weeks and just realised today I didnt know his name. If the conversation is going well dont get caught up in the details just ask when it is convenient :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending