The Student Room Group

Being convinced everyone hates me?

Hi,

I never get into trouble really (other than chatting), I have several friends who I do trust etc ... but, I am convinced that everyone hates me, or at least dislikes me. My teachers, fellow pupils at school, sometimes my friends, occassionally even my family.

However, I am fairly sure this is not paranoia. I have done a little research into paranoia and part of it is having difficulty trusting people, and feeling people are out to get you - i do not have these symptoms.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong with me? I mean, I really am convinced everyone hates me, and this really gets to me and upsets me, even though realistically this is probably not true.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
I have a feeling you didn't even read the post ...
Reply 2
Original post by cruciform
Go to the gym and get fit.

this made no sense
Reply 3
Original post by Luhar
this made no sense

You make no sense
Reply 4
Thanks for the help anyway ... Oo
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I never get into trouble really (other than chatting), I have several friends who I do trust etc ... but, I am convinced that everyone hates me, or at least dislikes me. My teachers, fellow pupils at school, sometimes my friends, occassionally even my family.

However, I am fairly sure this is not paranoia. I have done a little research into paranoia and part of it is having difficulty trusting people, and feeling people are out to get you - i do not have these symptoms.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong with me? I mean, I really am convinced everyone hates me, and this really gets to me and upsets me, even though realistically this is probably not true.

I used to get like this at school. I had a few friends I could rely on, but I constantly felt like everybody else disliked me. Not quite to the point of teachers and family,, but definately my classmates. My friends used to tell me it wasn't true, but to this day I think they were wrong :P

I don't really have any advice, because I still think that way. But just to let you know, you're not alone!
Reply 6
Thanks for the help anyway ... Oo

Are you going through a depressing time in your life? Started A levels, massive work load etc? If so that's probably why. Don't worry. Your friends and family don't hate you.
Reply 7
i would try not to worry about thinking this - as that'll only exacerbate the problem! i can't offer any practical advice because obviously i'm not a psychotherapist or anything but maybe try and identify if anything else is causing you stress, such as exams, family etc and try and deal with these, as these can lead to heightened anxiety = worrying about everything else, including, as you say, the fear of people disliking you. Everyone has irrational thoughts like this, if no-one's giving you any indication or reason to think this, just put it down to feeling abit wound up, try not to think about it and it'll hopefully pass :smile: dunno if this is any help, just my take on it :smile:
Original post by Luhar
umadbro?

you kicking off?
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
Are you suffering from anxiety at all? I completely sympathise with you because I've had these exact feelings :tongue: to some extent it's still going on, only it doesn't really bother me anymore. I know how damaging anxiety can be so honestly the best thing to do here is just fight it. I know it's hard, but try not to think about it, and when you do, just think "no, that's wrong, everyone doesn't hate me, etc" and then just push it out of your mind.
To be honest, you learn to live with it, and you start to care less. I still constantly get the feelings of, whenever anyone's talking in hushed voices or whenever anyone looks at me, they're talking about me, they hate me, all this silly stuff. I still have the feeling that all these people don't like me, it's just like it doesn't bother me so much anymore. Over time, anxiety fades.
From what I've heard (and experienced) anxiety tends to start after traumatising events in life, so maybe your best option is to deal with the feelings of that event and through that help lift the anxiety, if that makes sense. I haven't tried it myself but I can definitely identify with the fact that it all is triggered by one thing.

I can't really help other than that, so sorry. :frown:
and hope you feel better soon.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Maybe it is because you do not like yourself.
Reply 12
Thank you for your help and advice. Unfortunately, this has gone on for years, and so I doubt it's down to stress. It is also quite hard to ignore when you're sincerely convinced everyone hates you. Meh.

Thank you.
I hate you
Hi,

Trust is a big issue with me. And, from the rude way some people can be, I'll probably feel the same, so do not feel too bad about yourself.

Unfortunately, we live in a very unpleasant and hostile world. In real life also, there is no peace and understanding towards one another anymore and the anonymity of the internet has people react totally differently towards people they'd meet in-person. Unfortunately it's only natural for people to become this way.

All I can suggest is you be glad in having one close friend that you already may have, and seeing the rest of the others as just the way of the world. In all honestly, I don't think you are paranoid at all. :smile:
Reply 15
I have never considered anxiety ... i will go and research that. I'm so sorry you experience these feelings too ktlaurenroe

And yeah, I guess it is true that I don't like myself. Infact, I really don't like myself. I have major self esteem issues.
Reply 16
Yep, Because you do not like yourself you expect other to dislike you. Work on your self confidence and on accepting yourself.
You're not fulfilling your destiny.
Anonymous
They`ve done the work, self esteem. You are making direct comparisons with how others of your peers with more typical levels of self esteem are responded to. The more exuberant the initiation the more enthusiastic the response, and thus you create your own environment. However, apart from being a little less noticed, you will not be loved any the less. I suspect it`s down to too much and over prolonged stress.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending