The Student Room Group

Scottish Med Schools

Will they have more applicants next year, due Scots getting free education there and not elsewhere?

Scroll to see replies

I hope not...means more competition! :p: I think there is a good chance that the number of Scottish applicants might increase, but I don't know if it would be because of the free tuition fees, since our tuition fees have been paid for us Scots for years.
Reply 2
Original post by ScottishShortiex
I hope not...means more competition! :p: I think there is a good chance that the number of Scottish applicants might increase, but I don't know if it would be because of the free tuition fees, since our tuition fees have been paid for us Scots for years.

So Scottish students studying in England are and will be subsidised still?
I thought it was only at Scottish unis where they are payed for?
Reply 3
I think Scottish universities discriminate against students who have taken A levels as opposed to Highers, so I do not think English students applying there (as opposed to English universities) is a good idea.
Reply 4
Original post by navarre
I think Scottish universities discriminate against students who have taken A levels as opposed to Highers, so I do not think English students applying there (as opposed to English universities) is a good idea.

You're probably going to get a whole bunch of neg rep for insinuating the Scots are bias; I've heard that also, any stats? Highers haven't a patch on A-levels anyway...

Still like to know whether Scots receive funding for Scottish unis only, or english ones too.
Original post by SteveCrain
So Scottish students studying in England are and will be subsidised still?
I thought it was only at Scottish unis where they are payed for?

I think that if Scottish students want to study in England then I think they have to pay the tuition fees (just as other UK and international students do) but I think they might get a bit of help from SAAS or whoever deals with student loans, with their tuition fees. (However, not 100% sure about this).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
You're probably going to get a whole bunch of neg rep for insinuating the Scots are bias; I've heard that also, any stats? Highers haven't a patch on A-levels anyway...

Still like to know whether Scots receive funding for Scottish unis only, or english ones too.

Pretty much it was a point drilled into us at Medlink. When they were talking about universities, they mentioned on a few occasions to NOT apply to Scottish ones, due to their bias towards Highers- it puts those who take A levels at an unfair disadvantage

Whether Highers compare to A levels, who knows, you're unlikely to ever experience both.
Reply 7
Original post by navarre
Pretty much it was a point drilled into us at Medlink. When they were talking about universities, they mentioned on a few occasions to NOT apply to Scottish ones, due to their bias towards Highers- it puts those who take A levels at an unfair disadvantage

Whether Highers compare to A levels, who knows, you're unlikely to ever experience both.

They don't compare to A-levels, going off what I've been told by students and a doc in scotland. I presume that's what Advanced Highers are for. I doubt any Scot will support this claim, though.

Anyway, this means that no Scots are going to apply to English unis to evade massive debt. So there's going to be more applicants to scottish unis anyway. Shame.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
They don't compare to A-levels, going off what I've been told by students and a doc in scotland. I presume that's what Advanced Highers are for. I doubt any Scot will support this claim, though.

Anyway, this means that no Scots are going to apply to English unis to evade massive debt. So there's going to be more applicants to scottish unis anyway. Shame.

Yeah highers are only worth 80 ucas points (revised tariff) whereas a-levels are worth 120. However advanced higers are worth 130 ucas points, but most medi unis in scotland will accept you with 4 A and a B at higher, but advise you to take advanced highers in 6th year due to the amount of competition. Most med applicants will have 2 or 3 advanced highers.

Although i wouldn't go as far as saying highers don't have a patch on a-levels. Highers are still fairly difficult, especially when you have to do 5.
Reply 9
Will they have more applicants next year, due Scots getting free education there and not elsewhere?

Erm, the Scots have always had free tuition in Scotland and hence most of them only apply to Scottish unis anyway...
Reply 10
Original post by No Future
Erm, the Scots have always had free tuition in Scotland and hence most of them only apply to Scottish unis anyway...

ERM

I presumed the Scots also had free tuition in the England, which would suggest a fairly even, or reasonable spread of applicants. Now they have free tuition in Scotland but not in England, HENCE pretty much all of them who don't want to incur massive debt will apply to Scottish ones. HENCE HENCE more applicants, HENCE HENCE HENCE less point in applying. No?
ERM

I presumed the Scots also had free tuition in the England, which would suggest a fairly even, or reasonable spread of applicants. Now they have free tuition in Scotland but not in England, HENCE pretty much all of them who don't want to incur massive debt will apply to Scottish ones. HENCE HENCE more applicants, HENCE HENCE HENCE less point in applying. No?

They only ever had free tuition in Scotland (and perhaps some EU countries) according to my Scottish friends, hence they did not apply to Oxbridge as thet'd have to pay fees (this is pre fee rises btw)
Reply 12

My bad, I meant advanced Highers.
Reply 13
They only ever had free tuition in Scotland (and perhaps some EU countries) according to my Scottish friends, hence they did not apply to Oxbridge as thet'd have to pay fees (this is pre fee rises btw)

so they counted as international applicants? Have fee rises changed for them, they were outrageous to begin with?

Can anyone verify this?
so they counted as international applicants? Have fee rises changed for them, they were outrageous to begin with?

Can anyone verify this?

Verify what?

Scottish citizens receive free uni in Scotland, not England.

I'm not sure they are classed as international though, I guess they would pay the same as English students
Reply 15
Verify what?

Scottish citizens receive free uni in Scotland, not England.

I'm not sure they are classed as international though, I guess they would pay the same as English students

kk; but before their fees were around 3 grand, which would for many be far less of an influencing factor than fees of nine grand. This is pretty gay
:facepalm: Medlink is hardly a source of accurate information. My university actually did research into where their applicants came from and how many got in - there is precisely no bias against English students applying to Scottish universities for Medicine.

It may be that there is a small rise in the number of English students applying to Scottish uni's next year generally due to the higher fees in England, but fees in Scotland for English students have always been lower than in England anyway - I currently pay £2890 a year in tuition compared to £3145 I think in England.
kk; but before their fees were around 3 grand, which would for many be far less of an influencing factor than fees of nine grand. This is pretty gay

Yeah, but for most people if you can study for free, why would you pay 3k per year to go south? Esp a 5-6 yr med course.

I know many Scots who did not apply to any English unis bc they didn't want to pay 3k per year. Some say they wish they'd tried applying to Oxbridge, but didn't even consider it bc of the costs
Reply 18
Original post by Becca-Sarah
:facepalm: Medlink is hardly a source of accurate information. My university actually did research into where their applicants came from and how many got in - there is precisely no bias against English students applying to Scottish universities for Medicine.

It may be that there is a small rise in the number of English students applying to Scottish uni's next year generally due to the higher fees in England, but fees in Scotland for English students have always been lower than in England anyway - I currently pay £2890 a year in tuition compared to £3145 I think in England.

I was thinking of more Scottish students applying to Scottish unis because of the new excessive fee difference. I think this will be the case.
I was thinking of more Scottish students applying to Scottish unis because of the new excessive fee difference. I think this will be the case.

I don't know that significant numbers ever applied to England anyway - why pay when you can have it for free, regardless of what the fees are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending