The Student Room Group

Student Finance...

When do I apply for student finance?
I firmed my choice of university today, so when do I receive the relevant information as to what halls of residence I want to stay in? Do I do this through the university or through the direct.gov student finance? Shall I start filling in the form online!?
Aaaahh I am so confused =(

Scroll to see replies

Talk to your school about it.

My school used a tutorial period to explain everything to us then to hand out forms.
Reply 2
Apparently it's best to print the form, fill it in by hand, have your tutor check over it, then fill in all the details online..
Reply 3
Original post by Crazee'
When do I apply for student finance?
I firmed my choice of university today, so when do I receive the relevant information as to what halls of residence I want to stay in? Do I do this through the university or through the direct.gov student finance? Shall I start filling in the form online!?
Aaaahh I am so confused =(

You can apply now =)
When you get information about accommodation depends on your uni - check their website, it should give you some idea there. You apply for accommodation through your university and loans/grants etc through Student Finance.
Yes, start filling it out now, it does ask for your term time address in your online application but just put your home address until you find out your term time address and then you can go back and change it if you want. Hope this helps =)
Reply 4
Okay thanks guys!
So I can go back and change things right?
And it asks me if I want to "register my personal details held on my UCAS application?" - that's a definite yes? correct? hehe
Reply 5
Before you submit it officially, you can change a lot of the details by going through each section and changing it where appropriate. Student Finance say this after you've submitted your application:

"Changing your application

You should tell Student Finance England about the following changes in your circumstances:

* Your application details, such as your family or residency information
* Your course or place of study
* The amount you are borrowing
* If you are leaving, taking a break or returning to study

These changes may affect the student finance you get. "

But I'd strongly advise to get as much of the correct information as you can before you submit as it could save delays in the long run.

And yes because that's your course/ universities/ address etc, just saves typing it all in :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by sperry_1092
Before you submit it officially, you can change a lot of the details by going through each section and changing it where appropriate. Student Finance say this after you've submitted your application:

"Changing your application

You should tell Student Finance England about the following changes in your circumstances:

* Your application details, such as your family or residency information
* Your course or place of study
* The amount you are borrowing
* If you are leaving, taking a break or returning to study

These changes may affect the student finance you get. "

But I'd strongly advise to get as much of the correct information as you can before you submit as it could save delays in the long run.

And yes because that's your course/ universities/ address etc, just saves typing it all in :tongue:

Aww thank you so much for this!
Ok I think I will wait till I get some info from my university
Just to clarify I am not taking out a loan? I just want to get grant to cover my fee's/costs, can this still be done through student finance? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Crazee'
Just to clarify I am not taking out a loan? I just want to get grant to cover my fee's/costs, can this still be done through student finance? :smile:

What do you mean by this? The grant won't cover fees and costs. You take a tuition fee loan out. The maintenance grant is for costs, as is the maintenance loan.
Reply 8
Original post by Crazee'

You'll need a tuition free loan and a maintenance loan. Depending on your household income you can get a grant too.

Also, apply now. It doesn't matter if you haven't sorted out accommodation yet as SF and your accommodation office aren't linked :s-smilie: It's better to apply for student finance as early as possible!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Ok thank you!

I'm not taking out a loan.
Original post by Crazee'
Ok thank you!

I'm not taking out a loan.

then you must be paying for your fees directly?
The grant available won't cover fees. And not a great deal of costs unless your family income is in the lower thresholds
Original post by VictoriaG
Apparently it's best to print the form, fill it in by hand, have your tutor check over it, then fill in all the details online..

Why do you say that exactly? I'd argue the opposite.
Reply 12
If you are not taking out a loan why are you applying for Student Loan Company...
Reply 13
Original post by i.am.lost
Why do you say that exactly? I'd argue the opposite.

Simply a suggestion by my tutor who's been dealing with UCAS and student finance for a few years now.
Reply 14
Original post by Wanischa
If you are not taking out a loan why are you applying for Student Loan Company...

Because I don't want to get into thousands of debt after..so does this mean I am not eligible for a grant?
Original post by Crazee'
Because I don't want to get into thousands of debt after..so does this mean I am not eligible for a grant?

Do you not know anything about the finance structure?
There are 3 things available from SLC:
Tuition Fees Loan - To cover tuition fees obviously.
Maintenance LOAN - Non-income assessed to cover accom/living costs.
Maintenance GRANT - Income assessed to help with accom/living costs. But I think the maximum available is about £2,500 (i'm not sure exactly because i'm not eligible). Depending on your household income you can get certain amounts, but even if you do get the max it won't cover all of your accommodation, let alone living costs.
Reply 16
Original post by LeighAnne93
Do you not know anything about the finance structure?
There are 3 things available from SLC:
Tuition Fees Loan - To cover tuition fees obviously.
Maintenance LOAN - Non-income assessed to cover accom/living costs.
Maintenance GRANT - Income assessed to help with accom/living costs. But I think the maximum available is about £2,500 (i'm not sure exactly because i'm not eligible). Depending on your household income you can get certain amounts, but even if you do get the max it won't cover all of your accommodation, let alone living costs.

I understand the whole process fully..the thing is I have savings to cover for the tuition fees....:s
Original post by Crazee'
I understand the whole process fully..the thing is I have savings to cover for the tuition fees....:s

Then why did you say you were applying for a grant to cover fees/costs?! that's what i asked :L
sorry if you didn't see that :smile: I didn't mean my question to be condescending by the way, tone doesn't come across on the internet very well.
But even so, unless your household income is quite low your grant won't cover all accommodation and living cost (well it definitely won't actually).
So unless your savings are about £6000 and you Eave a low household income you'll need a loan.
Edit: Sorry I assumed you were in halls if you're staying at home obv you need less. And if that's the case then you apply for the grant through SLC as well, same place.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Crazee'

To cover your tuition fees you have to take out a tuition fee loan if you can't pay for them yourself.
The maintenence loan covers living costs/ accommodation as does the maintenence grant (the grant in non-repayable and is means-tested i.e. the amount you get depends on your household income)

Original post by Crazee'

There shouldn't be an issue taking out a loan for tuition fees though because you only pay it back once you're working and earning £15,000 per year and even then they only take a small pecentage back which is (so I've heard) barely noticeable. Also, your student debt doesn't affect your chances of getting mortgages etc so this shouldn't concern you either. The grant depends on your household income - if it's up to £25,000 you're entitled to the full amount, if it's between £25,001 and £50,020 you can get the partial amount but if it's over £50,020 you're not entitled.
You need to check what your household income is and find out what you're entitled to.
Reply 19
Thanks guys! I understand what you mean
I am living in halls aha, but with all savings I have enough to cover for my living costs and tuition fees etc. But I don't want to borrow any money and then give it back, I have heard a lot of stories about "only have to pay a certain percentage back" but then I have heard even more worse stories regarding percentage bracket increasing to up to £100 a month. So if I take out a grant, I wouldn't need to pay it back, and with the savings I have now, myself and my parents it would be enough to cover...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending