The Student Room Group

Do answers HAVE to be word for word (to what the markscheme says) ?

I've recently done an EMPA.
One of the questions was to explain a graph, and i wrote "active sites are now full and no more e-s complexes can be formed". However, in an actual markscheme for an exam, it said 'active sites are occupied'. Will I be awarded the mark?
Sorry I'm really paranoid.
Reply 1
???..
Reply 2
Most likely, yes. Occupied isn't really a very scientific word, and most examiners are human beings who will allow for leeway. VERY few answers will match the mark scheme word for word (and even if they do, they could raise suspicion of cheating), and if they did want word for word, very few people would get C's, let alone A's.

You need specific scientific terminology, however, and I think in this case active site would be enough to get you the mark. AQA are particularly whores when it comes to terminology, but you're with OCR I suspect.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
should be fine
Reply 4
Original post by navarre
Most likely, yes. Occupied isn't really a very scientific word, and most examiners are human beings who will allow for leeway. VERY few answers will match the mark scheme word for word (and even if they do, they could raise suspicion of cheating), and if they did want word for word, very few people would get C's, let alone A's.

You need specific scientific terminology, however, and I think in this case active site would be enough to get you the mark.

Thanks.
The main mark was for saying all active sites are 'occupied' and is the limiting factor.
So do you think i've got the mark for saying it's FULL rather than OCCUPIED?
You'll be awarded the mark. If you had to be word for work, no one would get the marks. You just need to have something that has the same meaning.
Scientific words will generally have to be the same though.
Original post by EffKayy
I've recently done an EMPA.
One of the questions was to explain a graph, and i wrote "active sites are now full and no more e-s complexes can be formed". However, in an actual markscheme for an exam, it said 'active sites are occupied'. Will I be awarded the mark?
Sorry I'm really paranoid.

I think I screwed up :frown: Coagulation of milk right?
Reply 7
Original post by EffKayy
Thanks.
The main mark was for saying all active sites are 'occupied' and is the limiting factor.
So do you think i've got the mark for saying it's FULL rather than OCCUPIED?

They're synonyms. You're taking a science exam, not an English one. If the examiner really takes such nonsense into consideration, he or she should consider getting a hobby.

You will most likely get the mark.
Reply 8
Original post by Insanity514
I think I screwed up :frown: Coagulation of milk right?

Yes.
Oh how did you screw up? :frown: What did you write?
Reply 9
Original post by navarre
They're synonyms. You're taking a science exam, not an English one. If the examiner really takes such nonsense into consideration, he or she should consider getting a hobby.

You will most likely get the mark.

Feel better now!
Rep for you tommorow (ran out for today)

:biggrin:
I think key words are the only words where synonyms are not given the mark... could be wrong!
Original post by EffKayy
Yes.
Oh how did you screw up? :frown: What did you write?

Well I didn't revise rates of reaactions...just the other stuff about proteins and enzyme structure which didn't help as I hoped :frown: How did you find the rest of the paper?
Reply 12
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
I think key words are the only words where synonyms are not given the mark... could be wrong!

The key word here was active sites i think. So the synonym of occupied/full is okay? Please say yes! :L
Reply 13
Well I didn't revise rates of reaactions...just the other stuff about proteins and enzyme structure which didn't help as I hoped :frown: How did you find the rest of the paper?

It was okay. Found the enzyme stuff really easy but messed up on a couple of questions. Think I'll get around 25/34 in the papre. You?
Original post by EffKayy
It was okay. Found the enzyme stuff really easy but messed up on a couple of questions. Think I'll get around 25/34 in the papre. You?

I'm pretty sure I didn't do too well on the paper overall but we'll see...
Reply 15
I'm pretty sure I didn't do too well on the paper overall but we'll see...

I'm sure you have :smile:
It's only around 33/50 for an A anyways :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by EffKayy
Feel better now!
Rep for you tommorow (ran out for today)

:biggrin:

Hey, we've all had irrational worries about exams. We all need somebody to just talk some sense to us when we're panicking :smile:
Reply 17
Is this task 1 ??
Reply 18
guh i have task one tomorrow.. Can anyone help me out? like what should i expect from the questions in all the tasks etc?

need help people :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending