The Student Room Group

Does this sound like a realistic plan (Law people)

Currently reading History (Oxford).

Have planned the next few years out after graduation as follows:

1 year working full time to pay for postgraduate study - i'm living at home rent free so should be able to save, then;
GDL (Swansea)
LLM 'graduate route', Cardiff (1 year full time)
then either LPC or BPTC (I'm leaning towards the BPTC but want to keep my options open for the time being).

Your opinions would be most welcome.

Also as regards work experience. Obviously i'm keen to get as much as possible, before I try to become a member of an Inn of Court (if I select the barrister route), and then apply for BPTC.
Some of the best 'hands on' experience I've found seems to be through organisations such as the FRU (Free Representation Unit) when i'm actually doing/finished the GDL. What other things (other than mini pupillages) can I try to do before that stage? Or is it general advocacy skills that I should be looking to develop to complement the Law qualifications?
Reply 1
Original post by boffin1234
currently reading history (oxford).

Have planned the next few years out after graduation as follows:

1 year working full time to pay for postgraduate study - i'm living at home rent free so should be able to save, then;
gdl (swansea)
llm 'graduate route', cardiff (1 year full time)
then either lpc or bptc (i'm leaning towards the bptc but want to keep my options open for the time being).

Your opinions would be most welcome.

Also as regards work experience. Obviously i'm keen to get as much as possible, before i try to become a member of an inn of court (if i select the barrister route), and then apply for bptc.
Some of the best 'hands on' experience i've found seems to be through organisations such as the fru (free representation unit) when i'm actually doing/finished the gdl. What other things (other than mini pupillages) can i try to do before that stage? Or is it general advocacy skills that i should be looking to develop to complement the law qualifications?

bumpety bump.
Reply 2
Don't waste your money and do a masters separately, if you take 3 extra modules whilst doing the LPC or BPTC you can gain a LLM. Check it out with the provider of your choice but the college of law definitely offer it.

To gain further insight your best bet is to join your universities mooting and debate teams, also go to court as often as possible. Additionally it is important to understand that becoming a barrister does not mean you earn mega money. Most barristers work all day and sometimes night receiving case files the night before they are to present them in court and earn around £32,000 if they are lucky, the not so lucky earn a lot less. You only earn major money if you become a QC which generally happens after 15-20yrs depending on how good you are. Plus it is extremely competitive to gain a pupilage and the criminal bar is shrinking fast, so if that is your desired practice area perhaps investigate a career as a barrister for the CPS or as a solicitor because you would still have some rights of audience in court.

In terms of the LPC its much less competitive and the money is better. No only can you be sponsored instead of taking a personal loan to cover the fees for both your GDL and LPC if you apply to companies far enough in advance, but if you work for some of the US law firms (granted they will work you 24/7) you can do what my mums friend has done and retire at 35 with a million in the bank, set up a small private firm, charging people £400 for a will etc and have a family. Something which is harder if you become a self employed barrister.

Hope that helps.
I'm a 3rd year law student btw.
Reply 3
Original post by louise22
Don't waste your money and do a masters separately, if you take 3 extra modules whilst doing the LPC or BPTC you can gain a LLM. Check it out with the provider of your choice but the college of law definitely offer it.

To gain further insight your best bet is to join your universities mooting and debate teams, also go to court as often as possible. Additionally it is important to understand that becoming a barrister does not mean you earn mega money. Most barristers work all day and sometimes night receiving case files the night before they are to present them in court and earn around £32,000 if they are lucky, the not so lucky earn a lot less. You only earn major money if you become a QC which generally happens after 15-20yrs depending on how good you are. Plus it is extremely competitive to gain a pupilage and the criminal bar is shrinking fast, so if that is your desired practice area perhaps investigate a career as a barrister for the CPS or as a solicitor because you would still have some rights of audience in court.

In terms of the LPC its much less competitive and the money is better. No only can you be sponsored instead of taking a personal loan to cover the fees for both your GDL and LPC if you apply to companies far enough in advance, but if you work for some of the US law firms (granted they will work you 24/7) you can do what my mums friend has done and retire at 35 with a million in the bank, set up a small private firm, charging people £400 for a will etc and have a family. Something which is harder if you become a self employed barrister.

Hope that helps.
I'm a 3rd year law student btw.

Thanks for this, really interesting and helpful reply.
I've decided to do the 2 year senior status llb instead of the 1 year GDL, hopefully that will allow me more time to moot/debate and gain good work experience, and maybe 'bed in' so to speak in the Cardiff legal community. At Oxford i'm finding with finals on the horizon in like 10 weeks that I have no time for anything other than academia (and havn't for most of the time i've been here actually).
I'll investigate the extra module thing you suggested. Tho' the LLM may be just the useful excuse I've been looking for to chance my arm and apply to Cambridge...
I might reconsider the choice of BPTC Vs LPC nearer the time I have to make the decision, but for me money isn't everything, and I certainly don't want a family in my thirties :P.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending