The Student Room Group

So why did America invade Iraq?

Poll

Why?

I'm confused..did they find anything? Or was it for personal gain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A lil birdy told me for oil.
Reply 2
Original post by F.I
A lil birdy told me for oil.

loll

surprise surprise

who will they falsely invade next?
Reply 3
For control of the resource: oil.
Reply 4
Original post by sixthformer
loll

surprise surprise

I always thought maybe Iran, but who really knows. One thing for sure is that they are too chicken to invade North Korea which really do have weapons of mass destruction :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by F.I
I always thought maybe Iran, but who really knows. One thing for sure is that they are too chicken to invade North Korea which really do have weapons of mass destruction :rolleyes:

haha nice one
Reply 6
Yes, I can foresee this being a nice, balanced, even thread full of intelligent, well-reasoned and educated discourse.

OIL innit!
loll

surprise surprise

Iran.... Under the pretex of them having WMD; two years into the war they would then realize opps... There were none
Reply 9
This why america invaded iraq, number 4 and 5 are my personal favourites!!!

*sigh* what a legend................no wait???? :confused:

EDIT: I've just realised something, george bush is karl pilkington. Literally their mannerisms are exactly the same, they way they talk, the way they present themselves, the way they both look like small chimps. The must have been seperated at birth!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
I still can't believe people still think it was for weapons of MD!!
Reply 11

No op they found no WMDs, they found absolutely no threat at all. The war was illegal and will haunt our memories for generations to come. :frown:
Operation Iraqi Liberation...

Or as it's known OIL
Reply 13
Everyone saying oil......

Tell, me what oil have the USA gained exactly? I mean, they've secured some pipeline, but the vast amounts of contracts have gone to other nations. Not trying to be an ass here, but I fail to see how the USA has got much oil out of Iraq. Someone enlighten me?

I would think it has more to do with the mechanics of what is behind war, the logistics, supply and whatnot, making various people rich. And of course the rebuilding and military base in the Middle East. But oil? Oil not so much. I could be wrong. Feel free to correct me.

You forgot the option to remove an evil dictator who murdered and tortured thousands of his own people.
Reply 15
It's clearly not just about oil, oil is a significant factor yes but I think a lot of it was also to do with having a military presence on Iran's border to protect Israel. You also have to bear in mind that under the new puppet Iraqi administration, corporations taxes are kept very low, it's a goldmine for American companies.
Reply 16
Original post by NGC773
You forgot the option to remove an evil dictator who murdered and tortured thousands of his own people.

And do you know who put Saddam in power?

America

research it
And do you know who put Saddam in power?

America

research it

Yes i do. And who removed him from power? America. Whats your point?
Reply 18
Original post by garethDT
It's clearly not just about oil, oil is a significant factor yes but I think a lot of it was also to do with having a military presence on Iran's border to protect Israel. You also have to bear in mind that under the new puppet Iraqi administration, corporations taxes are kept very low, it's a goldmine for American companies.

On the other hand the constitution also explicitly demands that the oil revenue be used for the good of the Iraqi people. In fact the entire Iraqi Constitution is quite brilliant, a result of two centuries of Liberal Democracy having time to refine itself.

I would say the biggest reason is that America wants to look like they were achieving something in the War on Terror, gain some prestige and show some strength. After their initial success in Afghanistan I believe George W. Bush really believed he could change the world, depose tyrannical regimes across the world and be a great american heroic president of the mould of Roosevelt or Wilson. The Republican Party likely bought the interventionist line themselves for great jingo. Any excuses could be brushed aside once they won and won the love of the native population.

Then **** got worse.
Reply 19
Original post by NGC773
Yes i do. And who removed him from power? America. Whats your point?

... that sounds normal to you?

if i put an evil dictator in power, and then remove him...?

They didn't even go into iraq to do that lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending