The Student Room Group

Are bouncers universally all dickheads? got into a tussle and feel bad.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amiejade-x
x

Original post by bad bitch
x

Amie, just to let you know, i've fed this troll before. You're arguing with someone who looks like this :rolleyes:

Someone's probably just a jealous ugly virgin :smile:
Reply 101
What's worse than a cop? A failed cop.
Reply 102
Just don't be a **** to them and you'll be fine. They are there to keep the idiots out of the club/pub.
Most bouncers I meet are sound blokes if you are nice to them.
Reply 103
Yus.
I tried getting into a club when I was five and he wouldn't let me in :frown: ageist?
I mean.. come awnnnnn.. :dontknow:.
But then I was like... dood I iz drivin dis sik ride u wna see cum owtsyde!!!!!!!!
Here is me on my ride:
http://uk.westfield.com/thefriary/images/largeContent/kiddycar_largecontent_09.jpg

He then let me in.
Original post by theronkinator
Yeah generally they are power hungry dick heads. Ultimately you just have to remind yourself how their lives are going no where.

Very good description of a bouncer. However, I'm not sure there's any point of remembering that their lives are going nowhere.

Personal security, of any form, is a respectable field and I can think of many other fields that would be far worse to work in.

The trouble is that these days, so few people actually take pride in their work and are more interested imagining that they "deserve" to be someone else, doing something else: i.e. imagining in their head that they're a celebrity, a musician, a gangster, a model... In London, where there are many fields where you can "compete" in, this attitude is really heightened.

You come across people who have achieved absolutely **** all, have no skills but still live in a bubble where they're some hotshot.

I've noticed a massive difference between how bouncers do their job in the UK (and some other European countries) and how they do it in North America.

I've seen so many British (and French and Spanish) bouncers abuse their position and beat people unnecessarily simply because they have a score to settle. I say this because the last time I saw this, it was 3 of them on me after I insulted them (this is after the bouncer threw a random insult at me as I was going out and I was trying to speak reason to him but the guy was such a braindead **** that he didn't get it).

In Canada, I had a friend drop his trousers in the middle of a club because he was completely wasted. Literally 10 seconds later, 5 bouncers were on him and dragged him out of the club. No aggressiveness, no insults involved: they just spotted a guy who was drunk, probably too drunk to be in the club and chucked him out. It was the end of the night so noone got upset but this is what I call proper conflict management, or rather, avoidance. My friend might have dropped his boxers next (who knows) and if you're the kind of club who doesn't want its female customers to have to expect guys getting undressed on the dancefloor, then you have to manage things this way. Of course if you're some tacky, ****hole of a club, then you probably will let this stuff go on.

Same thing in New York where we didn't get into the first club because my friend was drunk. They didn't speak down to him or make fun of him. Just professionally, asked him a few questions and because he wasn't making sense told him he couldn't come in. If he had acted aggressively, 3 bouncers would have been on my friend and they wouldn't have taken any crap.

To cause a North American bouncer to behave like a British bouncer usually would, you've really got to throw a wave of nasty insults in each direction. Most of them just treat you as a customer who is no longer welcome and don't even bother getting involve in some petty squabble like British bouncers do. In my opinion, a bouncer should be the one acting professionally. If the customer wants to act like a dick then you continue doing your job professionally. 90% of times, it's the client that looks stupid, especially if they're drunk, but so many bouncers here stoop low and try to settle scores, throw insults, try to prove something.

It's a bit tragic that in the UK, being a bouncer is seen as a reject's job where most of the guys who are in it, are just former thugs who have some grudge against their clients, which in some cases, is justified.

To be honest, this is one of the reasons why I don't enjoy going out in the UK that much: too many people with attitude problems. Rather than going out just to have fun, too many people go out to prove something: that they're a stunner that all the guys want to bone, that they're a tough guy... Sure, I've seen this in plenty of other countries but in London, it's really striking.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by theronkinator
Yeah generally they are power hungry dick heads. Ultimately you just have to remind yourself how their lives are going no where.

that's a bit harsh, you have to think that their entire job is dealing with drunk dickheads, it's not surprising that they don't treat you particularly nice. Generally If you don't **** with them they wont **** with you.

i knew a few guys who were doormen, nice guys doing a necessary job.
Original post by Anonymous
mate, consider the facts for a minute. I'm 5ft11 and 180 pounds at 8% bodyfat. That guy was like 5ft8 and fat. I would have raped him. A little common sense please. Don't be the prat who assumes all bouncers are hard, they're not all hard, i have seen enough evidence of that. I don't usually go out, i train 4 times a week while he is waiting on doors catabolising, do you seriously think he stands a chance without his mate?

Facepalm.

You'd have got owned so bad you wouldn't even have known about it for two days. What do you think these guys do for a living? Maybe if you added to the end of your nothing intimidating body dimensions 'and I have 4 years of kickboxing/mma with sparring' you wouldn't sound like such an idiot. Even then, before you've even got into a proper stance this fat bloke has rushed you and slapped you in the side of the head to burst your eardrum to disorientate you and is twisting your manhood upsidedown in his little fat hand.
Original post by bad bitch
LOOL! couldn't care less you look like a slag

doesn't mean i am one, like i've said, for the 10 millionth time :rolleyes:
and there's worse things to look like i guess, you would know about that :moon:

Original post by SaltyPiratePony
Amie, just to let you know, i've fed this troll before. You're arguing with someone who looks like this :rolleyes:

Someone's probably just a jealous ugly virgin :smile:

:rofl:

ah right ok, i'll take your word for it then :tongue:
Original post by amiejade-x
doesn't mean i am one, like i've said, for the 10 millionth time :rolleyes:
and there's worse things to look like i guess, you would know about that :moon:

:rofl:

ah right ok, i'll take your word for it then :tongue:

:biggrin:
Reply 109
Tbj they are not as bad as they used to be.

I recall a time when majority of them were ex cons (no joke)

It has gotten better now although I still dont like them

Anyway if I get any hassle off them (I look younger than I am) I just tell them what I think of them and leave. Its only a club and I prefer house parties better
Reply 110
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
what was unnecessary? I'm stating a fact because the OP mentions bouncers and potential racism.

No. You are implying that in most cases the racism does not really occur, it is just that a particular person assumes it is racism because they are black, almost victimising themselves. The implication in this case unjustified given that you do not know what type of racism it is.
actually the smartest guy in america was found to be a bouncer. i dont think you should judge really.
i'm not a fan of generalising
Yes they are. They're usually deadbeats who feel this little power they're given makes them rulers of the freeworld....when in actuality they're just fat middle aged blokes who can't get laid.

I remember giving my US id to a bouncer in England after saying "Hi, how you doing?" he looked at it for about a solid minute and then said sorry you can't come in. I told him he was a fat tw@t and walked off laughing.
Same as most girls I'd assume, I've never had a problem with bouncers. Most are great to have a chat with and have told guys to back off the instant they see me and friends being hassled. Drunk people all day, I know I couldn't do it.

On the subject of 'small bouncers', one at the local pole dance club (I go to the bar at the top, honest!) is 5"2 and came out top in a 6 on 1 fight. Just sayin' OP :tongue:
I don't think they're necessarily dickheads, they're probably just quite jaded/cynical as they probably have to put up with a lot of ****, and some of them can actually be quite nice/decent :smile:

But like any profession, you will get some who are just complete ********s. They get given a bit of "power" and it goes straight to their heads and they think they can do what the **** they want and become massively unreasonable because of this :rolleyes:

Just a matter of pot luck which type you get, in the end.
Original post by Liam123
No, the one at my local wetherspoons is great!
However, many are. I walked into this place in Glasgow last night with my two friends, and there was a bouncer. He automatically went try somewhere else. I didn't hear and said exuse me, to which he said louder try somewhere else. I was quite taken back and asked what he meant. He got quite aggressive and said I said try somewhere else and walked towards me. My reply was you don't have to worry about pushing me out; in fact, you'd not be able to get me out of here quick enough, and that I'd be in contact with his manager. I've only got an answering machine so far, which has annoyed me. But I still plan on reporting him; i want to know why I was victimised for no reason whatsoever.

It is wrong, but technically they can refuse people particularly if you come across with a bad attitude with them e.g. when you said 'excuse me' to him, though you were only trying to hear what he said, he would have seen that as a bit threatening, I can imagine :smile:
The majority of bouners are fat flucks.
Some are lovely , some are awful. In one bar in my local town, I've made friends with every single bouncer that works there, they're lovely to me, always say hello and always ask If I can get home safely etc. Right across the 2m road, is a nightclub, and one bouncer on the door there hates me, for no reason whatsoever :confused: He called me a slut once, and then asked to search my bag for a "bank card". When I refused seeing as I had womanly things in my purse, he refused me entry? He still tries to refuse me now for no reason?! Confusing.
Original post by SamTheMan
Very good description of a bouncer. However, I'm not sure there's any point of remembering that their lives are going nowhere.

I've cut your reply to save space, but I generally agree with your points. I do think bouncers (specifically) are generally going no where though.

Original post by Drumzilla
that's a bit harsh, you have to think that their entire job is dealing with drunk dickheads, it's not surprising that they don't treat you particularly nice. Generally If you don't **** with them they wont **** with you.

i knew a few guys who were doormen, nice guys doing a necessary job.

I don't think it is, based on my experience that is what I've seen.

Last time I was out we were outside the club at like 2:45 (shuts at 3). And this guy had forgotten to get his coat when he left. The coat place is just inside the door and there were still loads of people inside and the bouncers wouldn't let him go to the desk just inside him. They just stood there laughing at him and going gutted mate, hope you've got a spare as it's still pretty cold. Cut back on the drinks next time, you'll need the money for for a new jacket.
The same ones were also stood at the door tripping people up as they walked past. I'm sorry but that is beyond a joke, someone could have tripped, banged their head, resulting in serious injury or with a bit of unfortunate chance death.

This is one example but I have seen similar things a wide range of bouncers at loads of places. My friend damaged his knee in a bike accident and was on crutches and they laughed and told him he was limping because he was drunk (WTF). I know someone who works in a bar down south and they have a room with no cameras where they take people, he said some people get taken in for like nothing, just like going on the dance floor with a drink if the bouncers had a bad day and the people know about the room and will be dragged in crying.

I know someone else who had a similar thing happen and some bouncers broke their leg and when the police requested the tapes they'd been lost.

I'm sorry, but they are jumped up scum on a power trip. I'm talking specifically about bouncers, not the security industry as a whole (like someone above implied).

Quick Reply

Latest