The Student Room Group

gay in university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by geekay1
the 3 that im 100% sure im applying to are Bournemouth Portsmouth and Birmingham
what do you think of them 3
i really want Bournemouth as im doing media and i heard it is really good there

Birmingham has a decent enough gay scene. There's a new club just opened up recently that's nice, there's the gale and plenty of gay bars as well around or on Hurst Street.

Can't coment on the academic/social side of the uni though, I'm afraid.
Reply 21
Original post by super.teve
I live in Birmingham and i've been out in the student areas many times, Digbeth and the Bristol Road.
I've also been to the campus.

It's very liberal, as to are many people in Birmingham.

Like I said above, i've never had an issue.

hmm i suppose it all depend on whos there at the time especially when it comes to flat mates and stuff like that i suppose as was said before its better to just come out with it than to deal with the creping around
i think i probs just wont say anything and then when it comes out it comes out
as in im not just going to walk up to someone and say hii im ...... im a bisexual lol
Reply 22
Original post by TomU
Birmingham has a decent enough gay scene. There's a new club just opened up recently that's nice, there's the gale and plenty of gay bars as well around or on Hurst Street.

Can't coment on the academic/social side of the uni though, I'm afraid.

hey tommm u dont know me but i followed your access course thread very closely your actually a big part of why ive applied and successfully been accepted onto my access course for this sept :colone:
when i was in birmingham working i did notice the gay scene but was never able to experience it due to being with work mates and that
Original post by geekay1
hmm i suppose it all depend on whos there at the time especially when it comes to flat mates and stuff like that i suppose as was said before its better to just come out with it than to deal with the creping around
i think i probs just wont say anything and then when it comes out it comes out
as in im not just going to walk up to someone and say hii im ...... im a bisexual lol

It's not a big deal, honest.

We live in a very liberal society and country, even though the media might have you think differently?
Reply 24
Original post by super.teve
It's not a big deal, honest.

We live in a very liberal society and country, even though the media might have you think differently?

ahh i hope so a i would really like to enjoy all types of social life wile in uni and be able to be me lol without having to sacrifice anything by doing that what about flat mates and that in freshers year what if they are against gay people for what ever reason ?
Reply 25
Original post by geekay1
hey tommm u dont know me but i followed your access course thread very closely your actually a big part of why ive applied and successfully been accepted onto my access course for this sept :colone:
when i was in birmingham working i did notice the gay scene but was never able to experience it due to being with work mates and that

:smile: That's nice to know, I'm glad you've found my thread useful.

I wish you luck with your Access course in September!
Reply 26
There's a gay lad on my course, and to be honest with you he is quite popular and gets along with pretty much everyone.

Don't worry about people judging you. Just be yourself.
Reply 27
Original post by TomU
:smile: That's nice to know, I'm glad you've found my thread useful.

I wish you luck with your Access course in September!

Reply 28
Original post by Lylat
There's a gay lad on my course, and to be honest with you he is quite popular and gets along with pretty much everyone.

Don't worry about people judging you. Just be yourself.

That good to hear can i ask what uni your at and what course you are doing
Reply 29
Seriously mate, no one is going to care. Uni's not like school. People are more mature and more open to meeting all sorts of different people. You should never hide who you are. But then again just play it cool. I wouldn't introduce yourself as gay... I'm sure it'll eventually come up when you make new friends and become more comfortable around them. If you're still feeling slightly on edge about it after a while, like people have said, you can always join up to the LGBT groups... most unions have one. You'll meet lots of people in the same situation... Never know, might find yourself a fella too :wink: ha
Reply 30
Original post by geekay1
That good to hear can i ask what uni your at and what course you are doing

Plymouth and i'm studying Architecture.
Reply 31
Original post by cjcw20
Seriously mate, no one is going to care. Uni's not like school. People are more mature and more open to meeting all sorts of different people. You should never hide who you are. But then again just play it cool. I wouldn't introduce yourself as gay... I'm sure it'll eventually come up when you make new friends and become more comfortable around them. If you're still feeling slightly on edge about it after a while, like people have said, you can always join up to the LGBT groups... most unions have one. You'll meet lots of people in the same situation... Never know, might find yourself a fella too :wink: ha

yeah i dunno i guess i just expect that people are going to be judgemental when judging by the replys on this thread this is not the case i think im just going to have to see how it gos and yeah i could joining the lgbt community
i guess im kinda worried that after everyone has made there friends and gone into there little groups my "group" of friend will then reject me and i will be left friendless :cry:
Reply 32
Original post by geekay1
yeah i dunno i guess i just expect that people are going to be judgemental when judging by the replys on this thread this is not the case i think im just going to have to see how it gos and yeah i could joining the lgbt community
i guess im kinda worried that after everyone has made there friends and gone into there little groups my "group" of friend will then reject me and i will be left friendless :cry:

Aw well if someone doesn't want to be your friend just because you're gay then they're not worth knowing anyway :smile: uni isn't as clicky as school anyway... You'll have different friends from different classes, different friends from halls... You're always meetin new people. I'll be in the same boat this Sept when I go away to uni in Liverpool or London... if people don't like me just cause I'm gay then they can beat it lol I get on with just about everyone though :P
Original post by geekay1
does being gay in university have a big impact on your life

im bi but am curious if it will have a big impact compared to the experience a straight person would have

should i just be straight in uni with the occasional sneak off :wink:

i want to get the most out of uni in a way of social life and education

No. Im sure you'll go to gay clubs on nights out but thats about it. Two of my best friends are gay and I couldnt care less they are great lads and I dont think anyone else cares either. Ignorant bigots tend to not make it to University.
Reply 34
Original post by cjcw20
Aw well if someone doesn't want to be your friend just because you're gay then they're not worth knowing anyway :smile: uni isn't as clicky as school anyway... You'll have different friends from different classes, different friends from halls... You're always meetin new people. I'll be in the same boat this Sept when I go away to uni in Liverpool or London... if people don't like me just cause I'm gay then they can beat it lol I get on with just about everyone though :P

yeah very true im just gunna be myself and let people think what they want i think and like you said there will be lots of diff people thanks and hope everything gos well for you :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Aramiss18
No. Im sure you'll go to gay clubs on nights out but thats about it. Two of my best friends are gay and I couldnt care less they are great lads and I dont think anyone else cares either. Ignorant bigots tend to not make it to University.

lol the ignorant bigots part has highly amused me :biggrin:
thanks for advice everyone seem to be pointing in the same direction here and it seems positive :biggrin:
Reply 36
'I have never' and 'who would you rather' shag will be your best friends for just slipping it in there (:colondollar:) along with casual gossing with 'that' type of friend group where the highest form of amusement is 'they want to bed you!'

Don't worry about telling people, and don't worry about peoples' reactions in general. Most people don't care either way and those that are left, are generally under the impression that it's amazing because it's a gal pal for whom you can be the ultimate wingman or something xD

Uni's probably be the best place to be gay/bi etc because of welfare offices, lgbt societies, the range of people you'll meet and generally at least one lgbt club in the city :biggrin:
Reply 37
There's generally no more open minded place in the world.
Reply 38
No one will care if you gay/straight/bi.

I had a gay flat mate in halls and he was sound we all used to go out to the gay clubs with him as he didn't know any one else who was gay at uni at the time and wouldnt want to go on his own.

Also our uni hosts a LGBT bar crawl and has a society!
Reply 39
I've always been openly gay in university and it's never made a difference in terms of friends etc - although, if you are planning on being active on the gay scene I would recommend you come out as gay, it may sound shallow but if you're not open about your sexuality, you may get left behind by others who are openly participating in going to gay clubs/organisations etc.. simply because they won't realize that you're interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending