The Student Room Group

Think my new job is a scam!

Hi,

I'm currently on a gap year living with my student boyfriend, which means I'm not entitled to any benefits so work IS necessary. I started my new job with a local 'charity' (paid) on monday. It was advertised as 16 hours a week. On my first day, monday, she told me she wanted me to do some hours on tuesday evening instead of during the day. I agreed. It turned out to be trawling pubs in a rough area asking for money. The men all made fun of me... thank god I brought my boyfriend. She then pressured me to work every single day this week and monday and tuesday next week. Therefore, I will be working 9 days in a row for what was supposedly a part time job!

Every day I've been there so far I've walked in on other people being interviewed in the office while I was asked to go out. I have met a new 'employee' or person on a 'work trial' every day so far. Apparently there are currently at least 2 different women doing a 2 week work trial (unpaid) for the same role as me. I keep asking for a contract and don't get one. She hasn't taken my NI number or bank details for payment, she's supposed to pay me weekly (starting friday).

I don't think the charity makes enough money to employ all these people, and I've yet to see any charitable work being done. I am worried that I may be being employed to scam people into giving money that could just be funding the owner of the charity! The charity isn't registered.

What can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Stop going to work, report them, find a new job.
Reply 2
Original post by OceanInTheSky

I think this might be morally right, but it's easier said than done. I need the money to pay the rent and I want her to pay me for the hours I already worked!
Reply 3
You're working for an unregistered charity and are expecting to be payed even though you know the 'employer' doesn't have any of your bank details or even your NI number.

And you think it might be a scam?
Reply 4
Also, what if I report her and it turns out the money IS being used for charity? Then I'm just going to make myself look pretty bad. Who do you report fradulent charities to?
Reply 5
Original post by cambo211
You're working for an unregistered charity and are expecting to be payed even though you know the 'employer' doesn't have any of your bank details or even your NI number.

And you think it might be a scam?

These issues came to light over several days after I started working there... I thought I could probably just take an employment tribunal against her after the event if she refuses to pay?
Reply 6
Original post by ThatHatGirl
These issues came to light over several days after I started working there... I thought I could probably just take an employment tribunal against her after the event if she refuses to pay?

Just ask her when you can expect to be paid for the work you're doing.

If she can't give you a definitive answer or she gives you a date that's not relatively soon, just leave.
Hi,

I'm currently on a gap year living with my student boyfriend, which means I'm not entitled to any benefits so work IS necessary. I started my new job with a local 'charity' (paid) on monday. It was advertised as 16 hours a week. On my first day, monday, she told me she wanted me to do some hours on tuesday evening instead of during the day. I agreed. It turned out to be trawling pubs in a rough area asking for money. The men all made fun of me... thank god I brought my boyfriend. She then pressured me to work every single day this week and monday and tuesday next week. Therefore, I will be working 9 days in a row for what was supposedly a part time job!

Every day I've been there so far I've walked in on other people being interviewed in the office while I was asked to go out. I have met a new 'employee' or person on a 'work trial' every day so far. Apparently there are currently at least 2 different women doing a 2 week work trial (unpaid) for the same role as me. I keep asking for a contract and don't get one. She hasn't taken my NI number or bank details for payment, she's supposed to pay me weekly (starting friday).

I don't think the charity makes enough money to employ all these people, and I've yet to see any charitable work being done. I am worried that I may be being employed to scam people into giving money that could just be funding the owner of the charity! The charity isn't registered.

What can I do?

quit!!!
Reply 8

Have you signed a contract?
ThatHatGirl

Original post by OceanInTheSky

OP, do the above but in reverse order.
Reply 10
Original post by FyreFight
Have you signed a contract?

No, there is no contract, despite me asking. She always says "later" or that she's supposedly too busy.

The other women on a "work trial" were very friendly, I have their mobile numbers, perhaps I can ask them to vouch that I was being paid? She mentioned it in front of them.
No, there is no contract, despite me asking. She always says "later" or that she's supposedly too busy.

The other women on a "work trial" were very friendly, I have their mobile numbers, perhaps I can ask them to vouch that I was being paid? She mentioned it in front of them.

In which case; what employment?
Reply 12
Original post by FyreFight
In which case; what employment?

A verbal contract is still a contract, right? I have handwritten (by her) pieces of paper with the hours she wants me to work on them. She can't deny she wrote these?

Besides, she advertised the job on the Jobcentre Plus site, and I've got a copy of the original job description. If she claims she didn't employ me for the job, when others vouch for me working there, she won't win a court case, will she?
Reply 13
In that case. Disregard my questions. You can certainly use MCOL.
A verbal contract is still a contract, right? I have handwritten (by her) pieces of paper with the hours she wants me to work on them. She can't deny she wrote these?

Besides, she advertised the job on the Jobcentre Plus site, and I've got a copy of the original job description. If she claims she didn't employ me for the job, when others vouch for me working there, she won't win a court case, will she?
Reply 14
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
The charities commission would be a good bet. Where else do charities need to register. :smile:

Looking at how things are going , you need not worry about it being for charity.

I support charity but: remember the clothes for charity thing. Peoples heartstrings are making it easy to scam now.

Then what genius? :colonhash:

A tribunal will not work if its a scam. You will not be entitled to tribunal.

If it is a bit of money owed. Try money claim online and make a small courts claim. It only costs around £20 for a claim worth less than £500. Relativly easy to do so. Your only snag is seeing as the charity is not registered it may not exist as an entity. But it could still work.

Despite no contract or payslip. Do you have proof of yourself working for them or any proof of an agreed wage rate.

Thanks for all the advice - I found it very helpful.

I will try to find out if I can get the charity commission to investigate this charity while keeping my report about it anonymous, so I can perhaps continue working there.

When I went around the pubs collecting money, I was surprised at how many people fished around in their pockets for money without asking for any ID or even what the charity was for! :confused:

I guess I will give her a fair chance to pay. If she was going to send a bank transfer on friday (after she actually gets my details!), it would appear in my account on wednesday. If it doesn't, I will try to make a small courts claim. I have no proof of the wage rate, she said it was £6 an hour...

My most urgent problem is whether or not to continue working there today, friday and over the weekend? I've been awake all night worrying about this. I don't want to take anyone's money if it's not for a good cause. There will be no way to get it back to them.
Reply 15
I feel pretty useless. I'd been unemployed for 2 months before this and already used up all my savings; and now in my desperation I've stupidly just blindly walked into what is almost certainly a scam.

Would really appreciate it if anyone could give some advice about whether I should turn up today or just contact her asking for my wages and say I'm quitting ... I mean, if I know it's a scam and I continue for my own benefit (to get paid), aren't I as bad as her?
Reply 16
Well that and the witnesses and handwritten notes are sufficient evidence. You have a small cliams case right there.

I know a lot about this from when my mum took Abbey National (now Santander) to court and she did it. Unfortunately , you would think a bank would be wise enough to pay thier debts when told to by a court :rolleyes:

but back to your situaion: It shoule only cost 20 quid and goes through your county court. You do not need to have a lawyer if you dont want to. A lawyer imo would be a waste of money. Just fill out the claim form and BAM! Finished.

If you want advice drop me a visitor message and I can give you more info and even find the forms online for you. :smile:

hey! My councel dont come cheap :colonhash: :tongue:
Thanks for all the advice - I found it very helpful.

I will try to find out if I can get the charity commission to investigate this charity while keeping my report about it anonymous, so I can perhaps continue working there.

When I went around the pubs collecting money, I was surprised at how many people fished around in their pockets for money without asking for any ID or even what the charity was for! :confused:

I guess I will give her a fair chance to pay. If she was going to send a bank transfer on friday (after she actually gets my details!), it would appear in my account on wednesday. If it doesn't, I will try to make a small courts claim. I have no proof of the wage rate, she said it was £6 an hour...

My most urgent problem is whether or not to continue working there today, friday and over the weekend? I've been awake all night worrying about this. I don't want to take anyone's money if it's not for a good cause. There will be no way to get it back to them.
Reply 17
If you do take it to court , it looks better if you stop working for her and don't go back. Otherwise the judge will wonder why you are still working for them. Quit now would be my advice.
So she's refusing to take your bank details and NI number of you?
Reply 19
Hi,

What can I do?

And you thought it'd be a good idea to work for them....why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending