The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FXX
It works the same as any other employer - if you have booked holiday and you tell them about it at interview, then they have to let you have that time off. If you don't tell them until after you get the job they have no obligation to let you have it.

Original post by FXX
There is no uniform for the induction. You'll be in the training room for most of it. If you want to look like you've made an effort wear smart trousers and jumper, but nice pair of jeans would be okay too. Your feet will be under a desk most of the time so footwear is pretty much irrelevant.

The induction is mainly watching videos, filling out forms, learning about the history and values of the company, stuff like that. There shouldn't be any more interviews, although you may meet your department manager.

Training for your role takes place from your first shift. You're taught on the job.

Different stores have different policies but I think most are trying to train as many people as possible on checkouts. All code controllers at our store are till trained and are regularly called to lend a hand at busy times.

Original post by flipshot
Just wear black trousers and a shirt. Don't got for a suit as not even the managers wear suits.

Training will be fairly generic to start with and covers people in all roles. What happens depends slightly on how many people there are, at mine there was only 2 of us so it was hard to do most of the activities so we skipped over them. There are lots of videos to watch and paperwork to sign though. After the main induction you get handed over to your department and then you get trained on how to do your job rather than the general health and safety and what Sainsburys stands for etc. of the main induction.

In theory any role other than nightshift could have to work on checkouts. Whether you get trained for them on not will depend on the needs of your store. They may try and get your checkout training out the way at the start if they want you trained on them though but that will come after the induction, not on the first day.

Thanks for the advice and help guys, I'll rep you both when I'm able to. Yeah my induction training is over now, it all seemed to go quite well, the one worry was that test they did at the end. I got one question wrong and apparently the pass mark is 100% but our trainer said it's alright if we don't get 100%, some other people there got a few marks less than me anyway and the question I got wrong wasn't really an important one like health and safety or challenge 25 or something.

So I start the job properly on Wednesday and I've been told I'll be trained on the job like you've said, the one thing I did forget to ask was where do I exactly go when my shift starts. I was guessing just go up to my department and find someone there. I was told I'd be on a certain department though and at the end of the second training session I was told it could be a different one.

Thanks guys!
Reply 7821
Say bye to the Challenges and Refusals book!
Original post by Foulish

How come?
Original post by Foulish

Ooo. How come?
Not that I am complaining. I have lost so many pens because of that little book lol - I never remember to pick them up when I swap tills/finish my shift lol. :redface:
Reply 7824
Its all going onto repos (the computer). When you sell a age restricted item, it will come up on the till with more than "Yes" or "no", and adding other options like Underage, Drunk, No ID, ID OK etc. Can't remember the exact options though.

Also, finally gift cards will work on self scan - They took their time on this one!

Also also, anyone else heard about the grablocks change?
Original post by Oh-No!
Its all going onto repos (the computer). When you sell a age restricted item, it will come up on the till with more than "Yes" or "no", and adding other options like Underage, Drunk, No ID, ID OK etc. Can't remember the exact options though.

Also, finally gift cards will work on self scan - They took their time on this one!

It has been mentioned in our store that the grablocks are being removed so that they can put relief staff on the tills more quickly... Or something.
got an interview next week :woo: might be my chance to get off nights!
Original post by Oh-No!

Yep, grab locks are disappearing as of this Sunday.

You'll also be able to do a department sale on self scan, so that'll be useful for when things won't scan, rather than having to suspend and drag the customer over to the desk.
Any advice on transferring stores for uni ?
Reply 7829
Original post by Lesha2010
Any advice on transferring stores for uni ?

Speak to HR.
Reply 7830
lol, wow, neg repped for saying the obvious. I mean really, how many times has that question been asked already?

I wonder what that search box is for?
Reply 7831
Original post by Writer14
Yep, grab locks are disappearing as of this Sunday.

You'll also be able to do a department sale on self scan, so that'll be useful for when things won't scan, rather than having to suspend and drag the customer over to the desk.

Or use 411301 (in the meantime!) - misc grocery:wink:

No more losing of keys now!
Original post by Oh-No!
Or use 411301 (in the meantime!) - misc grocery:wink:

No more losing of keys now!

4113 works as well, if you want to be lazy and knock off those last two numbers. :wink:

(Dunno why I'm still in this thread, I don't work there anymore xD)
What is the limit of paracetamol you can sell in one transaction and does the till flag it up? We were told the till does but I've never seen it come up.
Original post by KatrinaLou
What is the limit of paracetamol you can sell in one transaction and does the till flag it up? We were told the till does but I've never seen it come up.

Two boxes.
Ditto to never seeing it flag up though.
I was told by someone that it doesn't and you should keep an eye open for it but I don't know if that is true.
Reply 7835
I work for Sainsbos too, in the PFS. That's handy about the Challenges/Refusal book all being on the till now, its going to be the same for drives offs in petrol. Working 30 hours from tomorrow until Sunday FML... Nectar cards and active kid bouchers here I come.

Moving to Liverpool from Belfast in Sept for uni so may ask for a transfer...
Reply 7836
About a week ago I had an interview for sainsburys and didn't hear anything back, I checked the website just now and it says that I have been unsucessful for this vacancy.
I did Christmas temp work there also.

Am I not allowed to apply for another vacancy for 6 months?

It said I reached the maximum applications allowed so I withdrew the unsucessful application and it now let's me apply for jobs but I wasn't sure if there's still the 6 month rule and it only allows me to apply because I withdrew the unsucessful one?

Thanks.
i think its a combo of 32 tablets in any one transaction but i'm not sure
Original post by inksplodge
i think its a combo of 32 tablets in any one transaction but i'm not sure

Oh. I had a customer go through with 3 boxes of 16 plus two packs of ibrofen (spelt wrong) the last time I was in.

When I did my induction we weren't told how many it was legal to sell only that the till would flag it up. But I was talking to my neighbour (who works for a different supermarket) who said that their tills don't flag it an it's up to the colleague themselves to say no and that if they don't they could get fine. So I am a little worried about the one I did.
Reply 7839
The limit is two boxes (of any combo of painkillers I think) per transaction (by law, not just by Sainsburys iirc). If they spot it you might get pulled up on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending