The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4560
Politics at Hatfield. Didn't specify a college so i was put in there, can't complain, it looks pretty nice :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 4561
Original post by Becadi
Haven't applied to any London unis, want to experience somewhere else, and this seems like the perrrrfect opportunity.
Also, Durham is gorgeous.
You?

Same thing really, wanted somewhere pretty, and obviously the castle is a nice plus :smile: I kinda like small towns in a weird way, it'll be nice to walk places :smile:
Anyone else going to the Castle Monday/Tuesday? I'm arriving on the train about 2.30 pm. Getting really excited.
(Unfortunately not 18 for a couple more months :frown:)
Original post by Got the tshirt
Anyone else going to the Castle Monday/Tuesday? I'm arriving on the train about 2.30 pm. Getting really excited.
(Unfortunately not 18 for a couple more months :frown:)

I arrive at 14:50 for the Monday/Tuesday but in Collingwood!
Do you know how to get from the train station to the Uni? Hoping it's pretty close and in walking distance - or even better some kind of bus arrangements. I'm bound to get lost on foot.
Original post by hellosophiec
Do you know how to get from the train station to the Uni? Hoping it's pretty close and in walking distance - or even better some kind of bus arrangements. I'm bound to get lost on foot.

Same, Collingwood Monday/Tuesday but I haven't booked my train tickets so I don't really know when I'll arrive. It's quite a trek from the train station to the college, I think it's about a half an hour walk. There are buses which stop near the college, and I think it's the park and ride bus but I'll have to find out which one haha :smile:
Reply 4565
Original post by Silent-Varjoisa
Oh I am not sure yet it depends on my parents and the school. They don't actually let us go to open days! But I doubt they'd enforce that and I really want to see the department and college, yet just had a look at the prices for a flight there cheapest so far is £250! And I have to travel to get the airport in my country as well... ughhhh

jeez. :s-smilie: £250 is really steep, from belfast i assume? I managed to get flights with easyjet to newcastle for about £75 inc taxes for monday morning flying home tuesday night. However, that was booked about 3 weeks ago and was just planning on getting a train to durham. flybe also do flights from belfast city but there times are awkward. hoep you manage to get there a bit cheaper, living in NI can be a real pain sometimes :tongue:
Original post by Amy124
jeez. :s-smilie: £250 is really steep, from belfast i assume? I managed to get flights with easyjet to newcastle for about £75 inc taxes for monday morning flying home tuesday night. However, that was booked about 3 weeks ago and was just planning on getting a train to durham. flybe also do flights from belfast city but there times are awkward. hoep you manage to get there a bit cheaper, living in NI can be a real pain sometimes :tongue:

That's right :frown:
I had a look at the flights a couple weeks ago and was shocked how cheap you could get ones from Belfast to Newcastle, about £50, but only if you book really far in advance! And I only found out last night I could go to the open-day, and even leaving the price aside which is hard to do XD the times don't match up I don't mind waiting or leaving early but I'd hate to be late.

But yh N.I can be real bugger I hate watching T.v and hearing about all these great deals, and then the predictable "Does not apply to Northern Ireland."
Original post by hellosophiec

I haven't visited the university before but it doesn't look that far judging by the map - I think there are walkways. Also I think they are laying on buses.

There are probably going to be loads of us wandering aimlessly around.

I haven't visited the university before but it doesn't look that far judging by the map - I think there are walkways. Also I think they are laying on buses.

There are probably going to be loads of us wandering aimlessly around.

My letter from St Aidan's said there would be buses running from the station to college between 4 and 5.30pm. They said there'd be current students at the station to meet people.

Also, someone I know who is already at Durham said when he went, all the colleges had reps at the station to meet people.
They run a shuttle service from the station to the hill colleges on the Open Days. There will be representatives there from each college who will try to outdo each other in terms of noise and banners etc.

The best colleges will organise plenty of games etc in the evening for those who don't need to get drunk to enjoy themselves (or aren't old enough).
Went to Queens, Stephenson's college and impressed with everything. The buildings are modern and facilities great especially their sports and gym areas. Its right next to the river with a beautiful view . . .amazing. The talks were interesting and the student ambassadors were really nice.

Loving it . . . . so much
Just firmed my offer for Durham Law at castle!
Anyone else going to St Chad's monday/tuesday? Just firmed up Education and Philosophy :smile:
Ah, got into Van Mildert for Econ L100. (:
-does a little dance-
Reply 4574
Original post by Silent-Varjoisa
That's right :frown:
I had a look at the flights a couple weeks ago and was shocked how cheap you could get ones from Belfast to Newcastle, about £50, but only if you book really far in advance! And I only found out last night I could go to the open-day, and even leaving the price aside which is hard to do XD the times don't match up I don't mind waiting or leaving early but I'd hate to be late.

But yh N.I can be real bugger I hate watching T.v and hearing about all these great deals, and then the predictable "Does not apply to Northern Ireland."

That is really annoying but at least the flights aren't too long, only about 35mins i think :smile: What college are you heading to? Haha i know, especially for insurance-*Exludes NI, raging :tongue:
Hey guys. I received an offer for Law on 2nd March and on the letter on Track it said I would be contacted shortly by the college I have been allocated to. I still haven't received any further information and am worried since the open days are next week! I checked on AES and under the college link it said St. Aidans- does this mean I have been allocated there?

Does anyone know exactly who I can contact to gain information on when my open day is and which college I've been put in etc?
Thanks.
Original post by Amy124
That is really annoying but at least the flights aren't too long, only about 35mins i think :smile: What college are you heading to? Haha i know, especially for insurance-*Exludes NI, raging :tongue:

St Adian's college for me, how about you? Yh you're right I guess we have it easy compared to other overseas students. I met this girl at a UCL open day who'd flown from Korea just for the open day, 12 hour flight!
Reply 4577
Original post by SaySomething
Hey guys. I received an offer for Law on 2nd March and on the letter on Track it said I would be contacted shortly by the college I have been allocated to. I still haven't received any further information and am worried since the open days are next week! I checked on AES and under the college link it said St. Aidans- does this mean I have been allocated there?

Does anyone know exactly who I can contact to gain information on when my open day is and which college I've been put in etc?
Thanks.

I think that means you've been allocated there :smile:
You could call general durham admissions or even admissions for st aidan's in particular?
Anyone looking forward to the Open days? :biggrin:
Particularly St Aidan's or Physics :smile:
Original post by pianofluteftw
Anyone looking forward to the Open days? :biggrin:
Particularly St Aidan's or Physics :smile:

Yes I am. Looking forward to the Physics open day on tuesday!

Latest