The Student Room Group

Corsa 1.0 £5000 on insurance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craig 1888
Well I phoned admiral there and they said they will not give me a quote atall because its too high? Are you the main driver or are u under your parents name. Does it get cheaper when you become 18 compared to 17 because i am 18 in 2 weeks?

Oh, I am additional driver under my parents name... And no it's actually got more expensive, I renewed a few weeks ago... I think because of the new EU law xx
Reply 21
Original post by ilovecookies
Oh, I am additional driver under my parents name... And no it's actually got more expensive, I renewed a few weeks ago... I think because of the new EU law xx

And you're also not building up any no claims as long as you're a named driver, so it will always be high :wink:
Original post by Craig 1888
Hi there i just passed my test and decided to start getting quotes on car insurance. I was searching through auto traider and came across a 1.0 litre corsa year 2000 not that I am interested in it I just wanted to get quoted for it on compare the market, so I got quoted for it under my name and I got quoted £5000. I was truely shocked at this so I decided to put my dads name on it and then put me as the 2nd driver then the cheapest I got was £6000 which was extremely dear. Does anyone know whats going on here as this is an absolute nightmare for me as I am 17 years old and wont be able to afford insurance at this rate?

Try this thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1566807

Some good suggestions on who offers young drivers better rates.

Ill watch out for you on Police Camera Accident..LOL
Reply 23
Welcome to the motoring world, it's a bitch.
Original post by FXX
And you're also not building up any no claims as long as you're a named driver, so it will always be high :wink:

600 isn't exactly high. I also don't have the money to build up no claims, when I have a job I will be able to pay for my insurance as the main driver I can't afford that atm ( daddy won't pay for it )
Original post by FXX

You can uild no claims as a named driver - That's how my brother gained his 2 years. It depends on the company! Direct line let you if you renewed your insurance with them.
Reply 26
600 isn't exactly high. I also don't have the money to build up no claims, when I have a job I will be able to pay for my insurance as the main driver I can't afford that atm ( daddy won't pay for it )

Well it is pretty high if your "daddy" is illegally fronting your insurance, therefore instantly voiding your policy if you ever have to claim. £600 is a lot of money to waste.
Reply 27
Original post by jimmyshamim1
You can uild no claims as a named driver - That's how my brother gained his 2 years. It depends on the company! Direct line let you if you renewed your insurance with them.

"Named driver NCB" is worth a lot less than proper NCB and can't be transferred to other companies who will always give you a lower quote to get you to switch.
Original post by FXX
Well it is pretty high if your "daddy" is illegally fronting your insurance, therefore instantly voiding your policy if you ever have to claim. £600 is a lot of money to waste.

Tbh I think everyone illegally fronts their insurance... congratulations you can pay for yourself as a named driver. Also isn't it who does more miles rather than who uses it more often. He's used it for a couple of very long distance trips this year so therefore the mileage he is travelled will be higher than my annual milage
Reply 29
Tbh I think everyone illegally fronts their insurance... congratulations you can pay for yourself as a named driver. Also isn't it who does more miles rather than who uses it more often. He's used it for a couple of very long distance trips this year so therefore the mileage he is travelled will be higher than my annual milage

Sorry for managing to not be a slob, being at university and having a job at the same time. It's not difficult you know! It's whatever the insurance company deems to be appropriate, but a 'couple' of long distance trips doesn't make him the main driver. In fact that's exactly what the named driver tag is designed to cover for.
i was bought my car for my 18th a 2000 corsa im sure my insurance was never that high :s-smilie:
but then i did have 1 years no claims before i passed my test...
but who knows... that does seem really high...

Tbh I think everyone illegally fronts their insurance...

no they dont...

what worries me is people who do stuff like this what if they ran into the back of me or something!?
not goood!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by FXX
Sorry for managing to not be a slob, being at university and having a job at the same time. It's not difficult you know! It's whatever the insurance company deems to be appropriate, but a 'couple' of long distance trips doesn't make him the main driver. In fact that's exactly what the named driver tag is designed to cover for.

I thought it was that the named driver had to do the most mileage? That's it on my policy anyway, well trying being a medic and having a child a job wouldn't also come into the equation.
Reply 32
I thought it was that the named driver had to do the most mileage? That's it on my policy anyway, well trying being a medic and having a child a job wouldn't also come into the equation.

Try getting a job as a medic if you get done for driving with no insurance. My course involves full time placements for more than half the year so it's not like I have an easy life at uni either :wink:

Like I said earlier I'm not against people doing it strictly because it's illegal. It means you **** over the person you crash into. If you ever run into me and it turns out you aren't covered on your own policy you'll have everything on your car smashed in with an extendable ratchet, and there would be nothing you could do about it other than pay out of your own pocket (or by the sounds of it, it'll be your daddy who pays everything for you).

Unfortunately these days you have to pay over the top for that first year of cover. After that, and with your years no claims, insurance is instantly much more affordable. Only reason it's so expensive is the number of people out there driving with no cover, which includes fronting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
i was bought my car for my 18th a 2000 corsa im sure my insurance was never that high :s-smilie:
but then i did have 1 years no claims before i passed my test...
but who knows... that does seem really high...

no they dont...

what worries me is people who do stuff like this what if they ran into the back of me or something!?
not goood!

How did you get 1 years no claims if you haven't passed your test ?
If you wait until you're 18 it goes down by half.....ishh
Reply 35
wow £5000.... what's the world coming to that's crazy
Original post by adem-101
There are some truly ridiculous quotes that pop out of the comparison sites. Try and get two "experienced" drivers on the policy as additional drivers (doesn't matter if they don't drive it). Increase your excess. Consider looking at coverbox or similar, and try ringing the insurance companies direct.

You will get a decent quote the more you look :smile:

As well as these, try and get a quote from admiral, elephant and bell, they can be quite cheap.
Also try getting a quote for a bigger car such as rover 25 and ford focus. Bigger cars seem to be cheaper to insure for some reason from what others on here have said. And the newer the car the cheaper it is to insure too. I found that out. Try and get as new a car as you can get.
Reply 38
Original post by Emma:-)
Also try getting a quote for a bigger car such as rover 25 and ford focus. Bigger cars seem to be cheaper to insure for some reason from what others on here have said. And the newer the car the cheaper it is to insure too. I found that out. Try and get as new a car as you can get.

Probably because new drivers usually go for old small cars, so the higher risks are associated with them. There are probably very few accidents involving 17/18 year olds driving large new hatchbacks.
Reply 39
Buy a brand new polo and get free insurance :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest