The Student Room Group

Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry

I'm sure you've all seen the Cambridge one that appeared a few days ago so I've decided to make one for those aspiring to apply to Oxford rather than Cambridge.

(NB: I know that not many people, myself included, would not have decided between the two prestigious universities just yet but having both threads would allow applicants to discuss with current students to help us make a decision on which university.)

Anyhow, if you have already chosen Oxford whether for the location or its tutorial teaching system, etc. then post a brief profile of yourself ON THE STALKING PAGE and discuss with the other posters on this thread.

Oxford Applicants Stalking Page 2012 Entry

Username:
Subject:
GCSE:
AS:
College:

Use the above and post here if you can't use the Wiki edit or just go for it and copy how we have entered ours.

----

Links for 2012 Oxford Applicants:

Facebook group for all Oxford 2012 applicants

Just add yourself to the list if you wish to apply!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oxford is rubbish compared to other unis.
Reply 2
Good luck to one and all. We maxed out our equivalent of this thread last year:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1280222&page=500

Hope this year's will be just as popular and mutually supportive :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Reminisce
x

Since your thread is going to be aimed mainly at undergraduates, you may want to remove Campion Hall, Green Templeton, Kellogg, Linacre, Nuffield, St Cross and Wolfson, as those are graduate-only colleges. And having All Souls on there doesn't really make sense either.:wink:
Reply 4
Original post by hobnob
Since your thread is going to be aimed mainly at undergraduates, you may want to remove Campion Hall, Green Templeton, Kellogg, Linacre, Nuffield, St Cross and Wolfson, as those are graduate-only colleges. And having All Souls on there doesn't really make sense either.:wink:

I am aware that there are colleges for mature students, I just haven't gotten round to removing them yet... :P (copied)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I am aware that there are colleges for mature students, I just haven't gotten round to removing them yet... :P (copied)

Not mature students, graduate students. As in: somebody who's applying through UCAS won't actually be able to apply there, regardless of age.
As you can imagine, us Oxbridge hopefuls are very busy in real life. :smile:

Yes, all that nervous anticipation must be really tiring.:biggrin:
Reply 6
Sorry yes, for post graduates and I have updated the college list as with accordance to my undergraduate prospectus.
Good luck everyone! Any questions from prospective Oxford lawyers, you're welcome to quote or pm me and I'll try to help :yep:
Hello! I saw the Cambridge thread, but was waiting til it got to page 25 before starting an Oxford one - I reckoned they'd need a head start :wink: . However, there must be some very impressive procrastinators on there, they've got about 20 pages in four days!

I'll be applying for maths, and can't decide between Merton and Worcester. (Merton is small and pretty and in town, Worcester is pretty, just a sleepwalk away from lectures and has ducks. It's a tough choice.)

Looking forward to everyone else's posts, and getting to know some other applicants! :yay:

EDIT: My academics are in my signature, if you want. Nobody will understand them though, the Scottish system is insane. For example, there are seven different levels of qualification I could take next year.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm sure you've all seen the Cambridge one that appeared a few days ago so I've decided to make one for those aspiring to apply to Oxford rather than Cambridge.

(NB: I know that not many people, myself included, would not have decided between the two prestigious universities just yet but having both threads would allow applicants to discuss with current students to help us make a decision on which university.)

Anyhow, if you have already chosen Oxford whether for the location or its tutorial teaching system, etc. then post a brief profile of yourself and discuss with the other posters on this thread (I'll start off):

Username: Timkench
Subject: Chemistry
College: not a clue really!
AS subjects: Maths (86/100 - hate stats) (A2 this year) chemistry, economics (97/100), english, Further maths (entire course next year) EPQ next year
GCSE: 10 A*s 2 A's

hopefully nuffield bursary scheme this summer!
bit worried about only one science, but FM 3 mechanics modules should cover it, plus EPQ.
Original post by timkench
Username: Timkench
Subject: Chemistry
College: not a clue really!
AS subjects: Maths (86/100 - hate stats) (A2 this year) chemistry, economics (97/100), english, Further maths (entire course next year) EPQ next year
GCSE: 10 A*s 2 A's

hopefully nuffield bursary scheme this summer!
bit worried about only one science, but FM 3 mechanics modules should cover it, plus EPQ.

:wave: Hello! Doesn't maths count as a science normally for the purposes of university applications? So you should be fine.

It all feels so real and soon now! It's exciting/terrifying.
Reply 11
Original post by anyone_can_fly
:wave: Hello! Doesn't maths count as a science normally for the purposes of university applications? So you should be fine.

It all feels so real and soon now! It's exciting/terrifying.

yeah so technically its kind of 3 with maths and FM but still! i know right, but i dont know what to drop next year :frown: decisions decisions!
yeah so technically its kind of 3 with maths and FM but still! i know right, but i dont know what to drop next year :frown: decisions decisions!

Choosing what to drop always makes me feel miserable. Even when I know, the guilt as you explain to your teacher that no, you won't be taking music next year is terrible. We handed in our course choice forms on Friday. Another peculiarity of the Scottish system is that not many people take Advanced Higher, the (rough) equivalent of A2, so it's tricky to get enough people for a class to run. :frown:
Reply 13
Choosing what to drop always makes me feel miserable. Even when I know, the guilt as you explain to your teacher that no, you won't be taking music next year is terrible. We handed in our course choice forms on Friday. Another peculiarity of the Scottish system is that not many people take Advanced Higher, the (rough) equivalent of A2, so it's tricky to get enough people for a class to run. :frown:

ahhh i will only choose in september! its so hard though because i am pretty sure i can get an A* / nearly 100% ums in economics but i prefer english! and neithe are that relevant to science
ahhh i will only choose in september! its so hard though because i am pretty sure i can get an A* / nearly 100% ums in economics but i prefer english! and neithe are that relevant to science

Well, at least you've got six months to decide (lucky thing). I suppose by the time you get your A2 results, UMS won't really matter, and as a fourth/fifth subject you won't need an A*, so go with the one you enjoy most? :shrug:
Reply 15
Well, at least you've got six months to decide (lucky thing). I suppose by the time you get your A2 results, UMS won't really matter, and as a fourth/fifth subject you won't need an A*, so go with the one you enjoy most? :shrug:

how come you have to do it so early? yeah i know, but FM is really hard and i want an A* in it, plus if i find economics easier it would give me a break! but yeah i really like english, and my english teachers
how come you have to do it so early? yeah i know, but FM is really hard and i want an A* in it, plus if i find economics easier it would give me a break! but yeah i really like english, and my english teachers

Well, the Scottish exams are all in May. This has advantages and disadvantages: on the one hand we get our results about two weeks before you, but on the other hand they couldn't just let us go on holiday in May, so after exam leave we go back to school for a month and start the next year. Because we'll be starting in June not September, they need to get it sorted earlier, although you can change your mind up until about September if you want. Also, I think the younger years' timetabling will depend on what Fifth/Sixth Year classes run. :smile:
Reply 17
Well, the Scottish exams are all in May. This has advantages and disadvantages: on the one hand we get our results about two weeks before you, but on the other hand they couldn't just let us go on holiday in May, so after exam leave we go back to school for a month and start the next year. Because we'll be starting in June not September, they need to get it sorted earlier, although you can change your mind up until about September if you want. Also, I think the younger years' timetabling will depend on what Fifth/Sixth Year classes run. :smile:

yeah thats the same as us! we go back to school for a month or so :frown: but i wouldnt make decisions until i had my scores really! so hello to a month of wasted work in one subject haha
yeah thats the same as us! we go back to school for a month or so :frown: but i wouldnt make decisions until i had my scores really! so hello to a month of wasted work in one subject haha

Ah right :smile: Well, higher and advanced higher aren't joined together like AS and A2 are, they're completely separate courses. It would be a bit like doing the first month of AS for all your GCSEs. (Another difference is that we have a completely full timetable this year, free periods don't appear til sixth year (Y13).)
Reply 19
Anyone here applying for English Language and Literature? Know what books/poetry/plays/etc should be read before applying? I mean, I'm well-read, but d'you think there are specific books that every applicant should have read before applying?

Latest