The Student Room Group

Will employers care so much about my A-levels with First degree + Masters?

Hey, in short A- levels werent the best (CCD, All on border for higher grade aswell annoyingly) due to my own lack of effort.

At uni, ive really picked up the effort and im first'ing pretty much everything (currently at west of england studying economics) I then intend to do a masters at the proper bristol uni.

So in short will average - poor A - levels affect my job prospects even with a first degree + Masters?

And if yes, would it be worthwhile to retake A - levels? (Im sure if i put in effort, i can actually get good grades)

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I really doubt anyones going to look at your A levels if you've got a first! Wouldn't worry about it, the degree is the main thing, because your a levels just kind of progress you onto the degree.
No not at all. A Levels get you to uni and it stops there. Employers shan't give a **** about school, they care about what degree you have, your C.V, experience, personality, if you're right for what they want etc etc. I promise, the importance of A Levels is overrated.
Reply 3
Probably not. Some employers want a minimum amount of UCAS points though so although you might have a first and a great masters, your A-Levels(=Ucas points) might get you an immediate rejection.
Reply 4
Original post by SophiaKeuning
No not at all. A Levels get you to uni and it stops there. Employers shan't give a **** about school, they care about what degree you have, your C.V, experience, personality, if you're right for what they want etc etc. I promise, the importance of A Levels is overrated.

Not quite true. Some employers will look for a certain amount of UCAS points (usually 300 - 320) but this is only a small minority.
Reply 5
Original post by IowMatt
Hey, in short A- levels werent the best (CCD, All on border for higher grade aswell annoyingly) due to my own lack of effort.

At uni, ive really picked up the effort and im first'ing pretty much everything (currently at west of england studying economics) I then intend to do a masters at the proper bristol uni.

So in short will average - poor A - levels affect my job prospects even with a first degree + Masters?

And if yes, would it be worthwhile to retake A - levels? (Im sure if i put in effort, i can actually get good grades)

Thanks in advance

Yes, it may affect you. Many graduate schemes stipulate minimum a-level or UCAS points. Having a Master's will not relinquish you of this minimum requirement.
Reply 6
Good graduate schemes do look into your A-levels unfortunately. I also graduated with a first and am en route to a distinction in my MA, but does it matter? Nope, they still care about a few stupid grades from years and years ago.

(Yeah, I'm bitter)
Original post by IowMatt

Thanks in advance

If you check out the Times 100 Top Employers (for large companies), a lot of corporations do have a minimal UCAS point score, like the big 4, consulting and banking (around 300-340 normally).

Retake?
Original post by River85
Not quite true. Some employers will look for a certain amount of UCAS points (usually 300 - 320) but this is only a small minority.

If they're that anal about things then its not worth working for them anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Johnny Luk
If you check out the Times 100 Top Employers (for large companies), a lot of corporations do have a minimal UCAS point score, like the big 4, consulting and banking (around 300-340 normally).

Even some regional law firms will. I think I remember David Gray Solicitors asking for 320 UCAS points (their summer placements had a requirement of 300 points).

But I do stress, it's only a small minority in my experience.

I missed out on a summer placement as I only achieved BBB (having significantly underperformed due to medical reasons). That I'd been acheiving good, consistant results at Durham, and had mitigating circumstances, did not satisfy them. Although at least I was able to get some unpaid experience with them.

Original post by HARRY PUTAH
If they're that anal about things then its not worth working for them anyway.

Well, perhaps, and from personal experience it can be frustrating.

But, being very popular and bombarded with applicants, they need to filter out candidates. The requirement (whether 300, 320 or 340) is not as arbitary as it might seem.
Original post by River85

Well, perhaps, and from personal experience it can be frustrating.

But, being very popular and bombarded with applicants, they need to filter out candidates. The requirement (whether 300, 320 or 340) is not as arbitary as it might seem.

I am aware of the fact that popular employers get over-whelmed with applicants and will create extra criteria to judge them by but I stand by my point.

However I would do my best to avoid such a situation by trying to get experience in my chosen field as quickly as I could before my degree ended. Hell as soon as I start my degree I will be looking (already have).
Reply 11
Original post by IowMatt

Thanks in advance

Apart from a select few grad schemes, no, they won't care, but they will care about how you sell yourself. Don't put yourself down: the only reason they will lose interest is if you act apologetically about your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending