The Student Room Group

My friend, getting fat, what can I say?

Scroll to see replies

She'll realise when she needs a size up in jeans.

She'll ask for help if she wants you to give it tbh.
Reply 21
If she's just a friend the chances are she doesn't revolve her aesthetic maintenance around you, so probably doesn't care whether you think she's fat or thin? I would only comment on the weight of a friend if they asked me for my honest opinion, or were literally too fat to get out of the house.

And if you're more worried about her state of mind than physical appearance, e.g. you think she's eating from depression....then why comment on her weight at all?
Reply 22
Why do YOU care so much?
As soon as I read the title, I knew OP would be negged :teehee:

Telling your friend to cut down her eating/exercise isn't going to help unless she actually wants to lose weight.
Reply 24
Original post by Cityshy
If she's just a friend the chances are she doesn't revolve her aesthetic maintenance around you, so probably doesn't care whether you think she's fat or thin? I would only comment on the weight of a friend if they asked me for my honest opinion, or were literally too fat to get out of the house.

And if you're more worried about her state of mind than physical appearance, e.g. you think she's eating from depression....then why comment on her weight at all?

I think you have a point when you mention there is no reason for me to care about her physical appearance, afterall I am just a friend...and yes maybe i should shift my focus to her state of mind.

But I don't think she is depress...

and of course if she is a happy person and enjoy eating food...why should I make her unhappy, right?

(From a different perspective, i think the happiness can be greater if a good figure is earn through hard work from physical exercise.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by andyboy001

I think you have a point when you mention there is no reason for me to care about her physical appearance, afterall I am just a friend...and yes maybe i should shift my focus to her state of mind.

But I don't think she is depress...

and of course if she is a happy person and enjoy eating food...why should I make her unhappy, right?

(From a different perspective, i think the happiness can be greater if it is earn from hard work from physical exercise and achieving a good figure.)

Precisely. And I admit that if one of my friends started ballooning dramatically I would wonder about it, e.g. what's making them eat so much, but it's not really my place to say anything unless necessary. But maybe without directly saying anything you can just get her to join you on some active fun...like erm...the gym or something. Sounds lame but I used to take one of my overweight male friends to the gym (never asked or pressured him, he volunteered), and it was good fun and I think it helped his confidence as well as health.
Reply 26
She probably won't listen if you tell her that she's fat, but try getting her to go the the gym or swimming with you, or at least for a walk.
Hi,

One of best friend is getting fat from excessive eating...and I don't know what I can really do or say to help her.

I have told her to exercise regularly, maybe cut down on food quantity...everybody know these are the best way to keeping a good body.

But I don't know what else I can do to help her :confused:

what do you think i can do?

Andy

maybe shes comfort eating. Ask her if shes alright generally. If your convinced shes fine then leave her alone! Until shes clinically overweight to a point that she could effect her health negatively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending